Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
david99fobra said:
had no idea they were so much.
Apparently this company felt the need to produce a set of adjustable rockers and solid lifters. We dont quite understand it
the engines we build turn over 8000 rpm with stock lifters and followers.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I called the company. $3600, maybe a tad more depending on how much more R and D they have to do on this product.

That is what they told me. OUCH!!!:jawdrop

Steve

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HAHAHAH
Do they really think anyone is going to buy their product at that outragious price?
They may as well stop R&D.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Well, doesn't look like I'll be buying those lifters and rockers. I don't want to be adjusting a 32 valve V8 all the time. :(

Stuck with the stock Ford stuff for now.

John

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will buy them as soon as they make the price reasonable.
They gained 40 horsepower from the solid tappets with no other mods.Simply becasue they dont bleed down at HI RPM like the factory hydraulic units.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Has anyone in this post looked at what high end valvetrain parts cost for a push rod motor? And remeber you have to X2 the cost. The price is not that far out of control.

·
Registered
630 Posts
For me it's not the cost, it's the maintenance. A 5.4L DOHC would have to be pulled to get the cam covers off. So having to adjust the valve train periodically would be too much work and down time for me.

John

·
Registered
295 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well on a typical v8, roller lifters are about $300, I think the solids are cheaper. But regardless, double that price and that's $600. Same for quality roller rockers, $300, double that, $600. For a grand total of $1200. So I'd say they are still WAY off the price.

Not to mention that the stock lifters and followers do work so well. If I want 40 extra hp, I'll turn up the boost, that costs nothing....a tune at the most, depending on how far you turn it up.

I could install the CryO2 stuff from DEI for a couple hundred bucks and be able to gain hp and run more boost on pump gas.

They might be a fine product, but when there really haven't been any complaints with the stock stuff, where is the market?

Its kind of like me saying well I think the stock oil pan swells under pressure, so I have invented a new, CNC'd out of a solid block of titanium, one that is quite awesome and I'm going to sell it for $3500. The line forms to the left...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well, like the article says, the horsepower gain was just a bonus & shows the loss of the standard configuration. These were designed & built to solve a reliability problem, one that is not induced by stock cams & they were never intended to but a "bolt on 40hp" off the shelf component for the masses. You'll also see the springs are not stock either, they are a heavier spring, so many factors have influenced the stock component failures. Either way innovation comes at a cost & you should know R&D is not cheap. I know alot of time was spent defining the correct heat treat / stress relieving cycles on certain components. Alot of people think you just CNC the part and drop it in, but their is alot more than that.:lol

·
Registered
630 Posts
Everett said:
Well, like the article says, the horsepower gain was just a bonus & shows the loss of the standard configuration. These were designed & built to solve a reliability problem, one that is not induced by stock cams & they were never intended to but a "bolt on 40hp" off the shelf component for the masses. You'll also see the springs are not stock either, they are a heavier spring, so many factors have influenced the stock component failures. Either way innovation comes at a cost & you should know R&D is not cheap. I know alot of time was spent defining the correct heat treat / stress relieving cycles on certain components. Alot of people think you just CNC the part and drop it in, but their is alot more than that.:lol
How often does this setup have to be adjusted? If you don't know, ask your friend that runs it if you don't mind.

John

·
Registered
331 Posts
I know R&D isn't cheap. But you also can't expect to make your investment in R&D back too fast by pricing yourself out of the market. That is my main objection, if it was a $1000-$1200 product then I think that's a fair price range. $3600 is just way out there.

Something else you have to look at is, if it costs so much to R&D and then manufacture to the point where the pricing is just too high, then it is not a feasible venture to pursue in the first place.

I'm not saying it's not a fine product.

It's just that once you've sold it to the handfull of max-effort racers and people that are just far too wealthy for their own good, the average mustang guy can't afford this...or maybe they can, but it becomes a question of whether or not it's needed, whether it's benefits justify it's cost. If you don't market to this group, you are missing litterally thousands of customers. The same people that buy aftermarket cams and springs would be in the same market for this product I would think,...if it was priced comparatively.

It's different if there isn't or never has been anything like it, EVER, but there are solid lifters, roller rockers and better springs out there for practically every imaginable application...just not the mod motors yet...YET. So you have to look at the pricing of existing, comparable, competitive items. For instance, Crane, Comp, Harland Sharp, etc. will do plenty of R&D, but they won't introduce a product like this for $3600, three times the price of comparable products.

I mean if I can use aftermarket cams and springs and throw a pair of twin turbos on and make 1000rwhp on pump gas, more on race gas, in a daily driver with all accessories, where is my need for this product?

So I guess my questions are strictly feasibility based. I'm not trying to put it/them/you down. I'm sure it's a great product, would like to have a set myself someday...if the price is within reason.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I pretty much brought up the same points when these things were first introduced. I too agree that it seems like a fine product and I applaud anyone willing to spend the time and money to enhance the modular aftermarket, but again the price point is just too high for the average owner. I have more in my engine thus far than most and I just can't see paying more than $2000 for a DOHC set up, and that is if they are a "drop in and forget" install. I can't be pulling an engine just to make adjustments to the lifters.

Time will tell…

1 - 20 of 62 Posts