Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already have the gears (Ford Racing 3.73's).

I believe the following should be done during the gear install:
- New bearings, seals, etc
- Rebuild the TracLoc with the carbon discs (M-4700-C)
- Use good synthetic gear oil and Ford friction modifier (M-19546-A)
- Take it easy for the first few hundred miles

Did I miss anything?

I got two quotes to do the above with me supplying the gears:
- Walsh Motorsports: $700
- DTS___________ : $566

Anyone have experience with either one? DTS has a good reputation, and they are considerably less than Walsh.

· Registered
1,730 Posts
I did the same thing last December, although I put my stock gears back in. IIRC I got the disk pack myself, and the bearings, seals, and fluids weren't bad. Used RP 85W140. Labor was about $380.

When you have it done, inspect your axle shafts for wear and pitting, and be prepared to replace them. Everything is going to be apart anyway and the outer bearings and seals will be replaced...no sense having them go bad in short order due to shaft issues.

This is also a great time to consider an FRPP aluminum driveshaft. I did, and since it the stocker was off anyway for the other work, no labor to put in on!

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, Walsh mentioned about 20% of the time the shafts are bad, so it would be ~$300 to add Moser 28 spline shafts. Ouch, hope mine are OK.

I have an auto, so no off-the-shelf AL driveshaft.

Did you do the Carbon clutches? Any impressions?

· Registered
1,730 Posts
Yep got the carbon discs. It works, but I don't notice anything. IIRC it's not a matter of grip but longevity or something like that.

My car was apart and on the lift when we found out my shafts were completely toast. Turns out they were what were making such a racket when we initially thought it was in the pumpkin. Had used a stethoscope and everything too lol. They didn't have any good aftermarket 28's in stock, so I ran off to the NAPA distribution center and just got their cheap stock replacements. Made in India. But, so far so good, they've lasted a year (~16K miles) plus a bunch of autocross days. Nice thing was they came with studs installed, a set of extra studs, outer bearings and seals, and new trigger wheels already pressed on. $100 each. I did have one seal go bad so then I replaced both sides with some Ratechs also a little silicone around the outside as extra protection. Not a leak since.

· Registered
427 Posts
If you are going to swap axles....I would say spend $100-150 on a good used 31 spline explorer/f150 trac-loc. You can find them all day on ebay for about that price. I really dont see the point of spending $200 on 28 spline axles, when, for the same price, you can get 31 spline. If you take it to the track, and EVER thought you might want to run slicks or even worried what might happen.....the best time to upgrade is when you have to replace part of it anyway. If you wait, and you decide to upgrade it 2 years down the road, you will probably be kicking yourself from the money you could have saved.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm.... interesting thought. Thanks for the heads up. I just went on eBay, you're right. You can find used 31 spline diff's for that price.

However, I think I found a better deal: you can get the ACTUAL Cobra diff WITH the carbon clutches already in it for $248 shipped (Ford Racing part M-4204-F318C). By the time you buy a used 31 spline from an Explorer or F150 ($120) and the Carbon clutch rebuild kit ($120), you're at this price anyway. Might as well get a brand new pre-assembled unit right from Ford.

Wow... now my gears are turning.... hmm......

· Registered
64 Posts
I think $248 (shipped) would be a great deal. If you really need to swap axles and re-set up the diff anyway, you might as well go for it! Shoot, the $120 cost of the new clutch packs + the cost/hastle of installing them, might make me want to go that way anyway.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even better! Thanks for the tip. How do I get the Forum discount?

Also, are the Moser 31 splines the only way to go? Or is there another less expensive option? I found some from a company called "Alloy USA" that are a good $50 less. Anyone use them?

· Registered
427 Posts
I have heard people having good luck with the Alloy USA axles.....BUT. Moser's have been around, and have been tested on the track too many times to count. If it were me, I would pay the extra money to make sure it is safe. Just as I said you would kick yourself in the a$$ to by 28 spline axles, you would also kick yourself if you bought a set of cheap axles.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Really? Cool. What do you want for them? As much as I'd like to just put in 31 spline axles and the complete Cobra diff, that is substantially more money. Also, I maybe go to the drag strip once or twice per year, and don't have slicks, plus it's an auto which is easier on the driveline. To be honest, I simply don't need it. Would rather save the $400 for something else ($280 axles plus the 31 spline Cobra diff is $120 more than the carbon clutches by themselves.)

I would rather have Walsh Motorsports do it, but not for $135 more than DTS! (Walsh wanted $700, DTS was $566.)
I called Walsh back and offered it to them for $640, but haven't heard back.

· Registered
242 Posts
I have Alloy USA axles in my car for years, and they come with a 10 year warranty. They are 28 spline axles that I use with my stock diff. I don't know what the hype is about upgrading to 31 spline. It's been like a chain reaction that has never stopped haha. If my stock differential breaks, all the aftermarket companies make a 28 spline diff that I can replace it with.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
** UPDATE **

Just picked up the car from Walsh Motorsports. They came down $50 to $650, which closed the gap to DTS enough that I just had them do it. They did a great job. Donnie Walsh is a very nice guy, and takes pride in his work. Gears are super quiet, and the carbon clutches don't make any noise at all. (They used the legit Ford TracLoc friction modifier instead of relying on gear oil that has it "built in". I think that makes a big difference.)

I have to take it easy for a couple hundred miles, but you can tell the car is jumpier! Perfect.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.