Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried both the BFGs and the Nitto drag radials? Which ones work better? Does anyone know if there is much difference between them?

shweggy 03snake
470 rwhp, 490 rwtq

bassani x pipe w/cats
bassani cat back
billet flow tb
2.8 pulley
k&n filter
diablo chip = JD's perf. tuned.

·
Registered
510 Posts
shweggy 03snake said:
Has anyone tried both the BFGs and the Nitto drag radials? Which ones work better? Does anyone know if there is much difference between them?

shweggy 03snake
470 rwhp, 490 rwtq

bassani x pipe w/cats
bassani cat back
billet flow tb
2.8 pulley
k&n filter
diablo chip = JD's perf. tuned.
BFG's typically hook better at the track but wear down REALLY fast if used as a street/strip tire. Nittos are a GREAT street/strip tire and don't wear near as much as the BFG's.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Re: Re: drag radials

SVTVenom said:
BFG's typically hook better at the track but wear down REALLY fast if used as a street/strip tire. Nittos are a GREAT street/strip tire and don't wear near as much as the BFG's.
That's what I have heard. I have the BFG's.

JT

·
Registered
406 Posts
I ran the BFGs on the street and trust me they wont last if you have a heavy foot at all.I ran mine for roughly 3 weeks and they were completely bald.I will take a couple of pics and post them so you can see them after 3 weeks of wear.
They are not the proper tire for street use period.

·
Banned
2,034 Posts
My 315 35 17 Nitto's have yet to put down a 60ft as good as my 275 40 17 BFG's did. I'm switching back to BFG'S when the NITTOS are done.

G

·
I am sure the BFG's are abit better on the track....of course track conditions change...especially with the colder weather...also...if you have alot of slick cars running before you..you will grip better then too. But for street/strip duty....you cant beat the Nittos...and Nitrous Pete is laying down 1.50 to 1.60 times with 315 Nittos.....they cant be that bad.

If one wants the best to use ..and is careful how they come out of the hole...not to bust any axles. Use the ET Streets from Mickey Thompson....they are alot like the M&H and talk about traction!! Great at the track...but dont try to turn fast on the street with them....otherwise you will be kissing some weeds.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Banned
2,034 Posts
I agree Harry on what you said. Doesn't Pete get those 60ft's with the Auto though, what were they with the Factory Trans?

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I have had two sets of BFG Drag Radials on other cars. I have also had Mickey Tompson ET Streets on another car.

IMO, drag radials, by definition, are not a tire that is conducive with longevity. Tires get ratings for traction, performance, foul-weather safety, high speed safety, etc. Drag radials fall into the category of ultra performance drag racing tires. They are not designed for autocrossing, they are not designed for wet roads, icy roads or longevity.

Again, IMO, both Nitto's and BFG drag radials fall into the category of ultra performance drag tires and, as such, both have extremely low wear scores (meaning that they don't last) and extremely low foul weather safety factors (due to the shaved tread).

Another important issue with hard-hooking street tires is the trade-off: if you want a tire that hooks, the trade-off is rapid wear.

In fact, I think we could go so far as to say that softness of tire compound and the accompanying accelerated wear are directly proportional to the effectiveness and extent of traction or hook.

Well, I don't know if it works EXACTLY like that, but I know that, as a rule of thumb, the softer the tire, the better the hook. You can push your finger into the tread of a good race tire and it will leave an impression. And softness means wear. At the other end of the spectrum, you have those cheap skateboard wheels that last forever and yield 3-second short times.

But, as I have said, I owned 2 sets of BFG Drag Radials. And I used them for daily driving, racing, etc. I can say this about them: If you drive around without doing teenager burnouts all the time, they last fine. They don't wear from normal driving. I had one set on my car for months and months and hadn't gone to the track. They were perfect. Then one good day at the track with about 6 smoky burnouts and they wore down pretty good.

I have never owned a set of Nitto's. But if they really do last longer then why would you want them? It seems to me that it defeats the whole purpose of a drag radial tire in the first place. If you are thinking about buying a drag radial tire, then you must do so knowing that you are throwing caution and tire value into the wind for the sake of all-out performance. Why compromise on those factors? If you're gonna do something - do it right. Buy the best.

Alternatively, there are real street tires with ultra performance ratings that will hook pretty good and last a lot longer than a drag radial - tires out there that hook MUCH BETTER than our stock Goodyear F-1's. But I never hear anyone talking about that stuff. Here's a good website for performance tire deals and education: www.tirerack.com

Another thing to think about...and I've said this in many posts before...is what the drag radial racers are using. They all use BFG's. That means a lot.

As far as Mickey Tompson ET Streets....they are in a whole different category. Here we are talking about the extreme difference between a bias-ply tire and a radial tire. ET Streets SHOULD NOT be used on a daily or even regularly driven street car. I have made that mistake in the past. Do they hook? Yes, better than anything short of an all-out slick. But if you ever get caught in the rain with them, you'll know what I am talking about.

THEY ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!

I was near home (THANKFULLY) and got caught in a typical shower. I slowed down but it didn't matter. As soon as the road had a thin sheet of water on it, I went into a completley unextected 360 spin. THANK GOD no one was around me and I didn't hit anything. I spotted my shorts on that one. After my heart stopped racing and my hands stopped shaking, I got back on the road...this time going 15 MPH. AND THE ASS-END STILL walked left and right on me!! I had to put my hazards on, ride the shoulder and drive home at like 5 MPH. It was ridiculous!

Bias-ply tires are also not safe at high speeds. Because the sidewalls are so flimsy the car feels like a boat in the water above 120 MPH....drifting to the left and right and you gotta counter-steer while shaking in your shoes. And if you are gonna run a bias-ply on the back, it's a good idea to put bias-ply tires on the front too. It's not a good idea to mix radial fronts with bias-ply tires out back...makes things even more dangerous.

For me, if I want a tire that lasts, I will get an ultra performance street tire. If I want drag radials, BFG's are the best bet. And ET Streets are too dangerous for the street and not worth it.

·
Registered
6,841 Posts
Another "plus" for the Nitto DRs is that they handle very well. Their sidewall is certainly stiffer, at least from what I have experienced. Many people have run the Nitto DRs for autocross tires, and have done very well with them. They certainly serve as a much better street tire, and they will certainly last longer than the BFGs. They also tend to grab less road debris, which is certainly nice when driving in the country.

With that being said, I had a lot of luck with BFGs on my GN. I first ran Nittos, and was happy with them. Once I switched to BFGs, I definitely realized that they owned the track compared to the Nittos. And they were NOT white-knuckle tires in the rain. They defintely hooked a lot better in colder weather, too. I couldn't really compare the handling characteristics as I was running 15in wheels, and the BFGs were taller. Nittos definitely run shorter and narrower when compared to equally sized tires from competing companies. With the BFGs, I was able to run consistent low 1.7 60' times in my GN. This was with low-boost launched in a car that ran 11.8s in complete street trim. I could not match that with the Nittos. I'm still undecided on the tires I will run on my Cobra.

·
Registered
661 Posts
The 60ft times are with the 6 speed, t56 1.56 1.58
the auto went 1.60 not as good :( nitro

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Pete,
Are you still running the Nitto 315s on the stock rims. How welll do they fit. The Nitto site recommended wider rims.

shweggy 03snake
470rwhp, 490rwtq - sae net
tuned by JD's perf.

G

·
I run the 315s on the stock rims too and they fit fine for drag racing......a 10 inch would probably be better...but its not needed. It sure has a tough look on my car . Pics are on my site in my 2003 cobra area.

That is the setup Pete runs too when he isnt using those ET Streets.....

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
56 Posts
hey guys, I was thinking of doing the swap at the track thing using f1s for daily driving and bfg 315/35/17 come fun time... I'm needing to buy a pair of rims, any suggestions what to get / where to get em?

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I don't see much benefit in going with the wider tire. It gives you a little more surface area but BFG makes a tire that fits our rims perfectly...275/40/17. The 315's are not taller...they are about the exact same height...so they don't change gear multiplication. Our stock rims are too small for the 315's and, if you get a wider rim, you risk having clearance problems.

All that time and aggrivation just for a little extra tire surface area that will, at best, only help marginally in the 60'. I just don't see the point. The car will probably hook just as well with the proper size.

JMO

·
Registered
56 Posts
eh fair enough.. thanks. I still need to find a pair of rims then. I'm debating whether to go for looks (matching) or simply fahgetaboudit and go w/ steel jobbies.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm curious about the nitto vs BFG drag radials. For some one that will be using the car as a daily driver, which one would you recommend? I've heard that the nitto 555s might work better for the daily street use and occasionaly run at the track. I don't mind having to replace the tires but being a resident of Louisiana, rain is a factor, a very big factor.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hammer,
You said
"Alternatively, there are real street tires with ultra performance ratings that will hook pretty good and last a lot longer than a drag radial - tires out there that hook MUCH BETTER than our stock Goodyear F-1's. But I never hear anyone talking about that stuff. Here's a good website for performance tire deals and education: www.tirerack.com"

From your experience, what would be a good 'ultra performance'
tire to check out for our cars? I went to tirerack.com and got 'too much info' for me to digest.
JW

1 - 20 of 31 Posts