Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I have seen all three of the big players tb's now and the Dragon's by far seem the best. Let alone bring price into play and they win for that also. Made with high quality and are gigantic to say the least. I wish I could give you some before and after numbers on a high boost Eaton car but I can't yet. I sold one the other day and I'll assume the guy will have some type of data before to long. All I can say is if I was looking for a sbtb for an Eaton then there would be no question on buying a Dragon over the others.

Eric Brooks just saw one so maybe he'll chime in on what he thinks about them.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I just installed one on my car last week.. And all I can say is WOW! It is worlds above the ported stocker. Throttle response is MUCH imporved, and the car definitely feels stronger. Especially in the midrange. Can't wait to get it back to the dyno!

·
Administrator
9,710 Posts
I have seen all three of the big players tb's now and the Dragon's by far seem the best. ... All I can say is if I was looking for a sbtb for an Eaton then there would be no question on buying a Dragon over the others. ...
Posi is dead on target. The Dragon TB is impressive! Here are some pictures comparing it to another SBTB. The pictures speak for themselves -

They also make one without an IAC passage. When you use this one use a remote IAC and the whole intake system gets a notch cleaner without affecting your idle.

Ed

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I have seen all three of the big players tb's now and the Dragon's by far seem the best. Let alone bring price into play and they win for that also. Made with high quality and are gigantic to say the least. I wish I could give you some before and after numbers on a high boost Eaton car but I can't yet. I sold one the other day and I'll assume the guy will have some type of data before to long. All I can say is if I was looking for a sbtb for an Eaton then there would be no question on buying a Dragon over the others.

Eric Brooks just saw one so maybe he'll chime in on what he thinks about them.
Hey Posi,
Would you please post or send me a PM on pricing of the TB?
Remember I'm looking for 9s!
Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,032 Posts

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Posi, Can We Bolt This Upto A Whipple? Of Is It Just For The Eaton With Plenum.
I got a 3.4 inlet and a Dragon now but I won't be able to check until tomorrow. I'll let you know if it can be done.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
^I will find out tomorrow because I need to do some learning for myself.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I just bought a ported Dragon from Brian and am looking forward to throwing it on there. Don't think I'll have the opportunity to do a valid pre-post dyno session with it because may have some other small mods going on at the same time.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Hope this isn't stepping on anyone's toes but from the SH and Richard Holdener books they both say that the TB is not a restriction for the Eaton. From there you have to figure is the money you spend on a TB really worth it if you stay with the Eaton, ported or not.

·
Registered
889 Posts
hope This Isn't Stepping On Anyone's Toes But From The Sh And Richard Holdener Books They Both Say That The Tb Is Not A Restriction For The Eaton. From There You Have To Figure Is The Money You Spend On A Tb Really Worth It If You Stay With The Eaton, Ported Or Not.
Only My Opinion, Any After Market Single Blade Throttle Body And Matching Plenum Is Worth The Money, Ported Or Not. If We Look At Just The 15-20rwhp, It Does Not Seem So (maybe To Some). But Look At 1,500 Rpm To Redline. It May Have A Spot Of 30-50 Hp Difference. More So With The Ported,upper, Lower Pulley Combos. It Really Shines Everywhere. For Maybe 500 Bucks To Have That Good Throttle Feel And Power Is Worth It To Me. Plus, I Love The Faster Ramping Of The Accufab. Secondly, The Tb Flow On Stock Is Like 900 Or So. The Accufab Is Like 1,700.

·
Administrator
9,710 Posts
Posi, Can We Bolt This Upto A Whipple? Of Is It Just For The Eaton With Plenum.
Nitrous Cobra,

You can. There is some massaging required. Because the throttle bore is so much larger than the other commercial SBTBs there is some metal that needs to be removed from the Whipple blower inlet. When you look at the two different gaskets in my earlier post you can easily see the amount of removal required.

Because of where the IAC is from Whipple (and Ford) and the size of the throttle blade you will end up cutting into the interior of the Whipple IAC passage. The solution is to either put a block off plate on top of the Whipple blower throttle body inlet housing or weld up the interior. I don't think one or the other has a measurable advantage over the other.

Without the stock IAC passage you either have to use the Dragon Throttle Body 600-6 with the IAC boss on the underside or else use Dragon Throttle Body 600-2 without any IAC boss. If you use the -2 throttle body then you still have to make provisions to hook up the IAC.

You know this next part. Not everybody else does so I am including it to be complete.

The IAC is essentially just a computer controlled air leak to accommodate idle air requirements at certain points in the engine warm up and normal operating modes. Because all it needs is access to pre blower/post throttle vacuum and atmospheric pressure a simple block of aluminum with two holes corresponding in size and location to those already in the IAC motor is all you need. Screw the IAC to the block and plumb the low pressure side back to a vacuum source after the throttle blade and before the rotors. Leave the second hole open to the atmosphere.

Pick an aesthetically pleasing location to fasten the aluminum adapter block you just made and its IAC and you are done.

My personal preference is the 600-2 because while I need the IAC I don't necessarily like they way it looks in the engine compartment. I would rather have it but have it out of sight.

If you are concerned about foreign particle contamination (dirt and junk) entering the blower, then plumb the atmospheric reference hole to the intake after the airfilter and before the throttle blade, and you are done one again.

Ed

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Hope this isn't stepping on anyone's toes but from the SH and Richard Holdener books they both say that the TB is not a restriction for the Eaton. From there you have to figure is the money you spend on a TB really worth it if you stay with the Eaton, ported or not.
You make a perfectly good point. I think with 500hp or right around it you can easily get by with a ported stocker (950cfm's). After that you'll see some big gains with a sbtb. Then if you're going to get a sbtb why not get the Dragon? It's larger, built to high standards, and it's the cheapest to boot. Just the tip-in throttle response will make it worth it. You floor it and the car goes.

I'm not trying to make sales and it doesn't matter to me where anyone buys them from but honestly it really seems they are by far the best. Pretty cool for a company with one owner to design something this good for us plus they make other tb's for Ford's. I'm still just an enthusiast just like everyone else so that's how I respond or talk. I got a lot of learning to do to give advice on 3.4 build-ups and other things. I'll spill what I do know though. Probably to much sometimes.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Nitrous Cobra,

You can. There is some massaging required. Because the throttle bore is so much larger than the other commercial SBTBs there is some metal that needs to be removed from the Whipple blower inlet. When you look at the two different gaskets in my earlier post you can easily see the amount of removal required.

Because of where the IAC is from Whipple (and Ford) and the size of the throttle blade you will end up cutting into the interior of the Whipple IAC passage. The solution is to either put a block off plate on top of the Whipple blower throttle body inlet housing or weld up the interior. I don't think one or the other has a measurable advantage over the other.

Without the stock IAC passage you either have to use the Dragon Throttle Body 600-6 with the IAC boss on the underside or else use Dragon Throttle Body 600-2 without any IAC boss. If you use the -2 throttle body then you still have to make provisions to hook up the IAC.

You know this next part. Not everybody else does so I am including it to be complete.

The IAC is essentially just a computer controlled air leak to accommodate idle air requirements at certain points in the engine warm up and normal operating modes. Because all it needs is access to pre blower/post throttle vacuum and atmospheric pressure a simple block of aluminum with two holes corresponding in size and location to those already in the IAC motor is all you need. Screw the IAC to the block and plumb the low pressure side back to a vacuum source after the throttle blade and before the rotors. Leave the second hole open to the atmosphere.

Pick an aesthetically pleasing location to fasten the aluminum adapter block you just made and its IAC and you are done.

My personal preference is the 600-2 because while I need the IAC I don't necessarily like they way it looks in the engine compartment. I would rather have it but have it out of sight.

If you are concerned about foreign particle contamination (dirt and junk) entering the blower, then plumb the atmospheric reference hole to the intake after the airfilter and before the throttle blade, and you are done one again.

Ed
I PLUGGED UP ALL BUT ONE ( VACUUM) HOLE IN THE BACK OF MY 3.4L WHIPPLE. THERE ARE MANY PLACES TO HOOK UP THE IAC, WITHOUT SEEING IT. YAH, I WOULD LIKE TO TRY A DRAGON, HAVE MY ACCUFAB UP FOR SALE ALREADY. P.S. HERE IS THE RIGHT ADAPTER. THIS MOUNTS TO THE IAC AND YOU CAN PUT WHERE EVER YOU WANT TOO.

·
Administrator
9,710 Posts
I PLUGGED UP ALL BUT ONE ( VACUUM) HOLE IN THE BACK OF MY 3.4L WHIPPLE. THERE ARE MANY PLACES TO HOOK UP THE IAC, WITHOUT SEEING IT. YAH, I WOULD LIKE TO TRY A DRAGON, HAVE MY ACCUFAB UP FOR SALE ALREADY. P.S. HERE IS THE RIGHT ADAPTER. THIS MOUNTS TO THE IAC AND YOU CAN PUT WHERE EVER YOU WANT TOO.

Nitrous

Your piece looks cool! We used a bandsaw, drill press and Home Depot's plumbing dep't for the fittings.

Ed

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.