Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it would be possible to convert my car from throttle cable to drive by wire, and what I would need to do it. I’m a paraplegic and I would like to mount hand controls to the steering wheel like paddle shifters. From my research I couldn’t find any conversion kits so I’m assuming I’d have to build one myself or have one put together, thanks in advance

·
Registered
187 Posts
You'd need a whole new ECU to do it properly. I think some of the stand alones can run DBW. I've seen some stuff about it on the megasquirt forum, but haven't read too much into it.

I wonder if you could do that with a GT500 throttle body? I know they make throttle bodies modified to work with cables. But as far as I know the only guys running those run VMP blowers. But maybe it could be made to work with an Eaton. If that's what you're running.

·
Administrator
9,652 Posts
I would exercise caution as you pursue this. The regulatory climate in many states has soured for modifications to daily driver-type vehicles. When you begin to modify systems like braking, steering, throttle operation, etc. you can run into a buzz saw of liability. There are firms that build custom vehicles like this but they come dearly because of the regulation. I would start your journey on this particular basket of modifications at your local DMV and branch out from there to make certain you are not unknowingly in violation of some vehicle code in your state.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts