Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so we did the 2.9 swap, tuned the car and I thought I put enough mile's on it and the car failed inspection. evap, cat, egr were still active. I drove it 200 miles, the evap went off, which was good, but the cat, egr were still on then it threw a code p0401 I think it was. egr code. so I cleared the code, doing my cycle again and im up to 140 miles so far and I still can't get the evap cat and egr to reboot and pass!

How many freakin miles do I need to put on?

· 4.6 ways to waste money
1,930 Posts
Was the car tuned with SCT?

I have had all sorts of issues with multiple vehicles tuned with SCT including my own, that is 100% emssions legal with nothing turned off in the tune.

· Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I still have efi solution tune. everything in my car is hooked up and should pass, it did for the past 8 years with the same program. I might go to sct because I know your able to turn off certain things with sct

· Yes...it can be done
3,138 Posts
You can google to find the OEM criteria for a drive cycle. 40 mph, dead stop, 60 mph, brakes, etc etc. I don't recall it all off the top of my head.

What I do know is that one state/county to the next varies their requirements for emissions testing. Here in STL, we have a nice little inspection program that not only scans for codes, but also for "readiness" of up to 11 individual monitors. It is among the most difficult in the country, so I am told. Our EECs are equipped with 8 monitors, but not they are not calibrated to activate all of them. The criteria for each individual monitor is...well, subject to calibration.

Not sure what your testing criteria is in LI, but I wish ya luck. If it is as fun as ours here in STL, you are going to need something better than a level 1 SCT flash.

· Registered
5 Posts
Best test run is to drive a stop and go for a bout 2 miles then get out on a 45 mph road and hold 45 for 5 miles. Then get out on the highway and hold a 55- 65 speed limit for 5 miles. it is very important that the car have between 1/4 tank and 3/4 tank no more no less. That is normally enought to get most of the sensors set.

· Yes...it can be done
3,138 Posts
Was the car tuned with SCT?

I have had all sorts of issues with multiple vehicles tuned with SCT including my own, that is 100% emssions legal with nothing turned off in the tune.
Do a search for the word "chronometric" on here. Interesting read. You'll be closer to verifying 100% legal if that category is available for inspection. That's a drawback of the SCT value file culture and various access levels. Sometimes, there may not be access to see what is being manipulated. As a controls engineer by profession, knowing that drives me absolutely bonkers...lol

· Registered
1,644 Posts
I know you're allowed to have 2 monitors not ready in NY as long as there are no codes. It sounds like an issue with the EGR setup. I would check it again. Mine is deleted and turned off in the tune so the monitor just reads not ready and no codes so it still passes.

1,930 Posts
I know you're allowed to have 2 monitors not ready in NY as long as there are no codes. It sounds like an issue with the EGR setup. I would check it again. Mine is deleted and turned off in the tune so the monitor just reads not ready and no codes so it still passes.
In NY it's two monitors 96-00 and only one monitor 01 and up.

· Registered
1,644 Posts
In NY it's two monitors 96-00 and only one monitor 01 and up.
Hmm i wonder if they changed it. I passed with 2 monitors not set in August of 2010. Originally i had 3 not ready but fixed one and retested. They passed me with the 2.

1,930 Posts
Hmm i wonder if they changed it. I passed with 2 monitors not set in August of 2010. Originally i had 3 not ready but fixed one and retested. They passed me with the 2.
They may have changed it, I could be wrong. I'm going off what we were told when the OBD check first came out.

· Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Best test run is to drive a stop and go for a bout 2 miles then get out on a 45 mph road and hold 45 for 5 miles. Then get out on the highway and hold a 55- 65 speed limit for 5 miles. it is very important that the car have between 1/4 tank and 3/4 tank no more no less. That is normally enought to get most of the sensors set.
I have done every drive cycle possible. BUT, I never had my car down less than half of tank. maybe thats the problem??? I need to drive the car with less gas maybe and do it again

· Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can google to find the OEM criteria for a drive cycle. 40 mph, dead stop, 60 mph, brakes, etc etc. I don't recall it all off the top of my head.

What I do know is that one state/county to the next varies their requirements for emissions testing. Here in STL, we have a nice little inspection program that not only scans for codes, but also for "readiness" of up to 11 individual monitors. It is among the most difficult in the country, so I am told. Our EECs are equipped with 8 monitors, but not they are not calibrated to activate all of them. The criteria for each individual monitor is...well, subject to calibration.

Not sure what your testing criteria is in LI, but I wish ya luck. If it is as fun as ours here in STL, you are going to need something better than a level 1 SCT flash.
steve, my car always passed, but since the 2.9 swap not sure what happened. Im going to try with less gas in the tank like mentioned above as I heard that before I think. I will have to talk to my tuner to see what I can do to prevent this again, what program flash I can do

· Registered
2,993 Posts
The drive cycle will NOT complete if there is an EGR or EVAP fault. These are outlined as hard negatives towards the EPA, and need to be addressed before a driving cycle will complete.

If you drive 140 miles, your drive cycle would have completed by now. Since you didn't have an issue before the tune, maybe the it was overlooked when building new the new tune file.

· Registered
4,524 Posts
Man, I don't envy you gys who have to get emission checks. They had that crap here for a while- the testing company moved into OH after they got the boot from TN. Ohio finally wised up and got rid of it, except for the Cleveland area, but who cares about those losers. It was nothing but another tax prior to getting your tags. All the new cars passed, all the old cars got repair waivers (or illegally paid the attendant cash to pass them) and kept putting out the exact same emissions. Stand up and get your representivies to get rid of that BS. It's not in place to help emissions- it's only there because someone is reaping huge profits from it.

· Premium Member
2,439 Posts
Man, I don't envy you gys who have to get emission checks. They had that crap here for a while- the testing company moved into OH after they got the boot from TN. Ohio finally wised up and got rid of it, except for the Cleveland area, but who cares about those losers. It was nothing but another tax prior to getting your tags. All the new cars passed, all the old cars got repair waivers (or illegally paid the attendant cash to pass them) and kept putting out the exact same emissions. Stand up and get your representivies to get rid of that BS. It's not in place to help emissions- it's only there because someone is reaping huge profits from it.
Amen to that... here in NC it's 30 dollars for 96 and newer cars, whereas for 95 and older it's only 10 bucks for a "safety inspection." I have all the emmissions stuff still intact on the car, and once a year (this month actually) the catted-H pipe goes on the car, the tune is changed to turn the rear O2's on and it passes with flying colors.

Alex I'd say if your car didn't have a problem passing inspection prior to the 2.9L install then its a possibility that the new tune has something off with it concerning the emmissions stuff just as mtrsprt said. I had issues before with a different tuner and the car "raising eyebrows" when it was inspected before and since Eric took over the tuning duties they don't say a word to me anymore :bigwink:

Shannon

· Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
shannon,

the car still won't reboot the catalyst and egr. Now there is a pending code for the frps. I think you can still pass if there is a pending code. check engine light is not on.

I am going to switch over to sct. The efi solution came out in 2002 and you really can't do much.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.