Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the planning stages for my forged buildup and am wondering how far I want to go with it. For you guys making 450 rwhp and higher what is the driveability like? I know most of it is in the tune and Chris Johnson tunes my car on his dyno so I'm not worried about that. My car makes OK power and blows the tires off into 3rd gear now so I just wonder what it will be like at 500 rwhp. Is it even usable at that level? I rarely race the car so I'm not worried about running 10s or anything but I do want a fast, reliable street car. Just wondering what it's like to drive a car that powerful. Thanks.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Re: Re: Driveability & 500 rwhp?

PhatDoggy said:
Isn't a nearly 400 rwhp (only?) street car considered fast?
Not anymore.....

It all depends what you are doing for a power adder, but 500rwhp in a streetable setup is very attainable. They key is to not over cam the motor as that will affect driveability and your idle more than anything else.

With a turbo or a supercharger, 500rwhp is hardly a challenge these days.....anything can be done with enough cash :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's where I'm stuck. Most people are telling me that cams will be needed for sure and that I'll probably need 13 psi or more from the blower. I thought my car was strong too until I saw this website! This is probably a stupid question but will I need cams along with that much boost? I'm not full of money by any means but I don't mind to spend what it takes to get to the power level I'm looking for.

·
Registered
482 Posts
There are a few sc guys who can probably answer it better than I could but even if you do get cams, you don't have to get something extremely radical. JimFitzgerald just added a set of CompCams - you might want to ask him how the idle quality is of them.....

Actually I have to update my sig - I sold the Raptor a few months back to get a Grizzly instead :) I mostly ride in the winter and snow/mud and was constantly getting stuck or fishtailing at anything over 1/4 throttle.....I'm looking for a silver or charcoal Grizzly if you know of one for sale :)

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you like that Kahr? I've got a fairly extensive gun collection too my favorite being my old faithful Glock 23. I've got my eye on an H&K, though. Maybe my wonderful wife will let me get that AR-15 match rifle I've looking at also! Nice car man. Had I known when I bought this car that I would be going this far I think I would have gone with a turbo too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Get the cams! I have SHM stage I cams and they are very streetable. My idle is a little higher(1100-1200) but pretty smooth. And, 500rwhp is not too much for the expressway. On side streets or at stoplights, that's a different story. You will be short-shifting to keep traction because once the boost comes on, it's gone! Once third hooks, you're usually okay to keep the pedal down.

dave

·
Registered
482 Posts
The Stage I's should be fine....like I initially said, just don't over cam the motor - that is when the problems will start and the car will no longer be fun to drive on the street.

Kahr is a great CCW pistol. Much better than the HK. Only 6+1, but if I need more than that, I have bigger issues :) Very slim and I have a Fobus paddle holster for easy concealment.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll probably do the cams and see what happens with the RR pulley also. I carry my Glock compact 23 in a Fobus also. I also have a Uncle Mikes holster for inside the pants carry. I'm thinking of getting the Galco that lets your tuck your shirt in between the gun and your pants. Thank God for concealed weapons laws!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I thought about that holster - good concept, I didn't like the design.

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
500rwhp on the street is no problem. Traction becomes an issue at full throttle in 1st and 2nd gear though. I reccomend getting some 315 nitto dr's as they help in providing some traction.

Razor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hey Razor, isn't that alot of HP to be running with stock internals?? Nice that you're getting such great HP #s with such a large supercharger pulley!:)

Dave

·
Registered
492 Posts
How streetable are these gonna be?

All this talk about "over camming" the engine has got me thinking. I got my comp cams (234/238 @ .0050, .550 lift 113 lobe sep) and are about to have them installed with a good P+P/valve job to match. How streetable is my car going to be? I drive usually no more than 10 mins at a time, to and from work or the store. I should be pushing some good N/A power, and it will see the track once or twice after I get the control arms done, but that will be it. Just to see how she runs ya know, not a weekly thing.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have another question. Is it neccesary to replace valve springs when installing cams? Also, can you replace them while the heads are on the car like a pushrod motor or do the heads have to come off?

·
Registered
227 Posts
micool said:
I have another question. Is it neccesary to replace valve springs when installing cams? Also, can you replace them while the heads are on the car like a pushrod motor or do the heads have to come off?
i didnt replace the valvesprings in my car when the cams where put in. from what i understand you have to remove the heads to remove the valvesprings. i havent had any problems with the stock valve springs. a buddy of mine with a similar combo to mine (the only difference is i got an strim he has a novi2000) is seeing [email protected] the wheels and he drives his car all over the place. his car doesnt drive any different than mine. i havent had the opportunity to dyno my car yet, so i have no idea what kind of rwhp i got

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
DaveRam said:
Hey Razor, isn't that alot of HP to be running with stock internals?? Nice that you're getting such great HP #s with such a large supercharger pulley!:)

Dave
Ya my car is pushing the limits of those stock internals right now.:D Thanks for the compliments.

Razor.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just checked your website out and just wanted to say youv'e got a nice ride. It's nice to see there's someone else willing to test the limits of the stock internals! How many miles are on the car since the modifications?

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
micool said:
I just checked your website out and just wanted to say youv'e got a nice ride. It's nice to see there's someone else willing to test the limits of the stock internals! How many miles are on the car since the modifications?
I'm guessing this was directed at me. If so thanks for the compliments. I have 20,500 miles on my ride as of now. I also just got done hammering it pretty good on the way home from the titty bar.:D Look for further upgrades coming soon.

Razor.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts