Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent all of Thursday on the chassis dyno at Paul's Automotive Engineering with Rick of Amazon and Doug of BilletFlow, working on a bolt-on story for the 03 Cobras to appear in 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords magazine. Also in attendance were JB, Timmy Probst, Bad Brad Biri, and my old buddy Dan Morton. (BTW, although we had heard rumors of an appearance, Uncle Ben Dorn was a no show.) I have to say special thanks to Paul Faessler, Tom Hunsaker, and especially Big Mike Wilson for allowing us to invade Paul's shop and for Mike's dyno driving expertise.

I am at work right now, and I haven't sorted out all the numbers. We tried to monitor inlet temps with multiple pulley configuration as well as study the effects of Doug's BilletFlow throttlebody/inlet while Rick kept up with the custom Amazon Racing tuneups.

Although, this may be old hat for some, I will leave you folks with this information: Combo - Amazon Racing CAI, BilletFlow throttlebody and inlet, complete BilletFlow pulley package (with 3.10, 2.93, and 2.76 blower pulley configuartions), Amazon Racing heat exchanger fan kit, Amazon Racing custom Diablo chip(s), and a Bassani catted X-pipe and Bassani baffled cat-back. Car has 950 miles.

Top numbers came with the 2.76 pulley (of course) which read 462 hp and 485 tq.

Once I look over the temperature numbers, I'll try to get back on this thread and fill in some of the blanks without spilling the story for the magazine. As you all know, the car is very heat sensative with an easy 10-15 lb-ft swing with 10 degree changes in inlet temperature. It was also interesting how quickly the charge temperature (delta-T) goes up with higher boost levels THROUGHOUT THE PULL.

Again, I want to thank all parties involved for making this project possible. My job now is to try to write this up so you folks (the readers of 5.0) can get the most out of the data.

Thanks modularfords!
Jamie

·
Registered
282 Posts
Jamie, Sounds like a great test. You should have called me! I would have loved to attend!

I'm looking forward to the article.

Kevin

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Jaime, It will be nice writeup..One Question!!!!
What pulley did you leave on...???
My guess is you left the 2.93;)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kevin - I sent you an email. I wanted you there. I'm sorry, it must have been an old address?

Jim - I left the 2.76 on for now. I want to get some runs on the car with "max effort". But, yes, I do feel the 2.93 gives you 90% of the power with 10% of the concern - or something like that. lol

Another note - AFCO has contacted me about giving them some help with their larger heat exchanger. I belive that I'm right, that this is the unit that Rick at Amazon Racing will ultimately market as a no-modification, bolt-on heat exchager. If I'm wrong about this, I'll appologize right now. This seems the perfect time to test one of these units, since the 2.76 certainly puts the heat in heaton!

I'm thinking about heat-soaking the car with the 2.76 (being cautious to avoid detonation) and doing some back-to-back pulls with and without the larger heat exchanger. Thoughts on this project?

Thanks folks,
Jamie

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kevin - one more thought. It's NOON on Friday as I type this. There is a lot of 03 action going on at Paul's right now. Brad and Tim are both getting custom tunes from Rick while he's in town. It would be the perfect time for you to get the pulley (Doug is there as well) and tune from Rick. Go man, GO!!!!

Jamie

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Dr. Jamie Meyer said:
Kevin - I sent you an email. I wanted you there. I'm sorry, it must have been an old address?

Jim - I left the 2.76 on for now. I want to get some runs on the car with "max effort". But, yes, I do feel the 2.93 gives you 90% of the power with 10% of the concern - or something like that. lol

Another note - AFCO has contacted me about giving them some help with their larger heat exchanger. I belive that I'm right, that this is the unit that Rick at Amazon Racing will ultimately market as a no-modification, bolt-on heat exchager. If I'm wrong about this, I'll appologize right now. This seems the perfect time to test one of these units, since the 2.76 certainly puts the heat in heaton!

I'm thinking about heat-soaking the car with the 2.76 (being cautious to avoid detonation) and doing some back-to-back pulls with and without the larger heat exchanger. Thoughts on this project?

Thanks folks,
Jamie
That would be a great article..I am sure the Larger HE will help Efficiency...
276 ehhhhhhhhh You greedy boy:D

Best of luck and thank's for a great post..
I'll be looking foward to your follow ups!!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Great writeup Jamie, sounds like your car is strong!!! See ya in BG!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts