Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well yesterday was the moment of truth for me. Theres good news and bad news. The good news is that I did not break anything, and the tuneup was almost perfect. The bad news is that I am having an ignition problem too. The car climbs to 7500 rpms fast and hits a hard limit. The Rev limiter was set to 9000, then set to 10000 and it didnt help. We had the plugs at .025, then tried .021 and it didnt help. Possible problems
1. Stock coils - We'll try MSD ones, but I dont think these are a problem.
2. MSD HO bad - Best bet so far.
3. Tach Adapters- read side note.
4. FAST EDIS - I dont think this is a problem cause the RPM signal is clean all the way through.

Lideo had originally wired the tach adapters in to the car, and then took them off cause Lance at FAST said the tach adapters would ruine the FAST EDIS module. Now heres the interesting part Lideo found from MSD. He was told by MSD that tach adapters are a must on all applications now. According to MSD they made a change with the Dis-4 that the tach adapters are needed in all applications for stock computers. I"m not sure if this is the case for non stock computers too, and that this is my problem or not. Considering that its hitting what appears to be a limit at that specific RPM every time, I don't think that is the case.

Next week we're going back to the DYNO with parts in hand. We'll have a spare HO unit, a spare DIS-4 non HO unit, spare FAST EDIS, spare stock Coil packs, MSD coil packs. The A/F on the wide band is showing rich 10:1 a/f however, the plug and EGT readings are not showing an overrich condition. They appear to be very close to ideal. EGT's were showing around 1175-1200 above 6500 rpms.

What shocked me the most was how unbelievable the streetibility is. The car fires up immediately with no gas pedal pressed, idles perfect, and drives around perfect. It appears that the sequential upgrade, and the combination of Lideos experience with FAST really made a dramatic difference in drivibility.

If for whatever reason, the issue doesnt get resolved with any of the above attempts, we will re-wire in the tach adapters as a last ditch resort. If that doesn't help we will scrap EDIS in favor of the Randy Haywood setup of a MSD distributor thats belt driven. I would have to ditch the alternator and favor a 16 volt system. One way or another it will get resolved.

On a side note the car is making good power for the boost I'm seeing. At 7500 its making 25 psi. I was hoping for about 28-29 at that point and about 35 at 8400. At 5500 I was only seeing 12 psi. Thats one reason the car wasn't leaving as hard as I hoped last year. It sure is nice to have datalogging back. So I'm going to pulley down one tooth when the ignition gets resolved.

Lastly I want to say how impressed I am with Lideo's work and help. The install was just flawless, better than the pictures show and Lideo was a huge help. He was there all day with me, and didnt even mind skipping lunch to tune the car. Getting Lideo on board with this project really proved the right choice, and I"m definetely using him in the future.

·
Registered
438 Posts
How about some baseline numbers? I got to believe, even with the problems, that you are seeing some nice HP.

Why dont you just get Randy's set up and be done with it? Take all the guessing out of it!!! You're going to need soon anyway!!

Ben

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was making 770 rwhp at 7500 with 25 psi. I was seeing 785 rhwp at 30 psi at 8000 rpms with the old NOVI setup so it is encouraging. Lideo wants to exhaust all possibilities before making the switch, and I can appreciate that. He feels its going to work. I wanted to exhaust the possibilities too cause I am not a fan of 16 volt systems personally. I've seen a lot of problems with DIS-4 boxes as of late, and I wont hesitate to change it if not going to work during the next outting (next Monday May 5th).

Other side notes discharge temp was 145 degrees at 7500 at 25 psi. I'm figuring it will go thru the traps at 170. So the air to air has knocked off about 70 degrees of temperature for me. I feel with 170 degree temps I'm definetely limited to 18 degrees timing after the 1/8 mile.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Sucks doesn't it Dave ;)...My bet is the MSD DIS 4 is a POS. I too have talked to MSD tech on several occasions, yesterday being the latest conversation. I asked if it were possible for the box to run the car and then cause it to have problems later in the RPM band. They told me that this was not the norm but was possible. I also have been told the EXACT same line about the tach adapters but was told differently by another MSD tech yesterday. He said tach adapters were not needed on 96 year model applications. Funny to me how different people at the same company give different answers. To update my situation I have done a couple of things. I swapped in some Champion S59YC's gapped at .025, I added some Performance Distributers Screamin Deamon coil packs (piss on the MSD coils packs, I am done using their products at this point), and I went back to the stock ignition. I didn't just put the bypass plug in but actually removed all the MSD wiring completely. I just did a trial run down the road in front of my house and had just a little spark blowout but pulled to 7900 or so before I could get my foot off of it. My next step is to install a Kenne Bell Boost a Spark, which I have been told will run circles around a DIS 4. This should hopefully clear up my problems from the best I can tell. As soon as it is resolved I am going from this 3.33 to a Reichard 2.95 and getting retuned. As a side note, I have to give 2 thumbs up the the Screamin Deamon coil packs, I don't think the factory packs would have the energy to run the car into the 7900+ rpm range under boost!!!! Good lucik Dave and lets be sure to keep everyone informed of your findings as well as mine. Maybe we can save some of the other guys from having to go through this!!

Chad

·
Registered
49 Posts
Dave,

Dont understand why you cant get your car to go above 8K rpms. N/A the tuned my car up t0 8400 with the COP. Maybe it is just the motec fires them differently. Cant wait till next week when the blower gets re attached.

Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts