Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm just lost as to where the 3 POWER WIRES go... theirs the red - 12v which someone said i can use a add-a-circuit for in slot #28 which is the wiper fuse, any better suggestions for getting a 12v?.
then for the Black - Heater Ground i'm lost there... and the 3rd and final wire the Black/white - Digital Ground i'm lost on as well. let me know PLEASE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
I used a PCM key on power source,the same as my maf extender.Go to MJ's web site and look for MAFX installation guide,and you'll find the pin# and wire for the key on 12V source.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
redstaf426 said:
I used a PCM key on power source,the same as my maf extender.Go to MJ's web site and look for MAFX installation guide,and you'll find the pin# and wire for the key on 12V source.
i'm sorry but whos MJ and whats his site? thanks for this, but what about the 2 different ground wires, why is there 2 and where do they go?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
Wings65288 said:
i'm just lost as to where the 3 POWER WIRES go... theirs the red - 12v which someone said i can use a add-a-circuit for in slot #28 which is the wiper fuse, any better suggestions for getting a 12v?.
then for the Black - Heater Ground i'm lost there... and the 3rd and final wire the Black/white - Digital Ground i'm lost on as well. let me know PLEASE.
The black/white digital ground wire goes to pin #91. The black heater ground wire can go to the ground screw just below the CPU. On top of the CPU there is 3 relays, I used the heavy red wire on the last relay which is the one closest to the front of the car for my red 12v connection. This is a key on power wire. This keeps all my wires at the CPU which makes an easy and clean install. I have been running my WBC over a year without any problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Wings65288 said:
i'm sorry but whos MJ and whats his site? thanks for this, but what about the 2 different ground wires, why is there 2 and where do they go?
ground wire is everything metal on the car,Unless it's isolated and does not have full contact with the vehicle chassis.You can use any metal bolt,or screw in your surroundings as ground source,just make sure no paint in the bolt hole or contact surface.A good thing is to have a test light.

http://www.mafterburner.com/MAFXtender_Installation_Revision1.4.pdf

Click above for MJ's web site
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i put the power to the pink wire with the blue strip which was located behind the AC. to get there you remove the shifter bezel, then pop off the ac/stereo bezel, then unscrew the 4 bolts that hold the A/C Knob Bezel in place. behind that you'll see a pink wire with a baby blue strip and thats the 12v you want to tap into, it's real simple stupid. and then as far as the other 2 wires go we grounded them to the same ground.

as far as datalogging wires, we spliced pin (#26 LG/Wh Wire, oh i think some people use #27 but i chose #26) with the orange wire, the yellow wire went to (#88 i forget what color but it's common sense, it's just next to pin #89) which is MAS.

for the other datalogging set of wires (the one with 6 wires, it also has the brown wire which is for the ON/OFF switch...) we only used 2 wires; the Black/white wire which went to (#89-Grey/White Wire) which is the TPS. then we used the Grey wire which went to (#91-Grey/red) which is the TPS ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
is your guys' gauge sorta laggy? mine seems a bit laggy like it's kinda delayed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
Wings65288 said:
the Black/white wire which went to (#89-Grey/White Wire) which is the TPS. then we used the Grey wire which went to (#91-Grey/red) which is the TPS ground.
I just installed mine yesterday but I did mine reversed, I sent the White/Black wire ground, the one with the other black ground and red 12 volt red wire to Pin 91 which is the TPS ground. Then I connected the Grey wire to 89 it 88 whatever the TPS was.

My TPS works fine on the display but my gauge isn't even close.. Unless I'm really running 13-14:1 at WOT which I doubt I'd still have an engine if I was.

I have the 02 in the pass rear location. I'm having a bung welded in pre-cat today and I'm going to change the ground location to somwhere else. I'm using the PCM ground, below that black bracket in the kick panel which also has the raptor shiftlite ground.

That solid black ground wire is used for the 02 heater, I'm thinking maybe its not grounded good enough and the sensor isn't getting warmed up or something? I dunno... :blush: :blush:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TTA89 said:
I just installed mine yesterday but I did mine reversed, I sent the White/Black wire ground, the one with the other black ground and red 12 volt red wire to Pin 91 which is the TPS ground. Then I connected the Grey wire to 89 it 88 whatever the TPS was.

My TPS works fine on the display but my gauge isn't even close.. Unless I'm really running 13-14:1 at WOT which I doubt I'd still have an engine if I was.

I have the 02 in the pass rear location. I'm having a bung welded in pre-cat today and I'm going to change the ground location to somwhere else. I'm using the PCM ground, below that black bracket in the kick panel which also has the raptor shiftlite ground.

That solid black ground wire is used for the 02 heater, I'm thinking maybe its not grounded good enough and the sensor isn't getting warmed up or something? I dunno... :blush: :blush:
nice signature you lucky bastard, i tell my friends about you how you have a '03 cobra and it's trailered by a '03 lightning! =) anyways, i'm not sure why you reversed it and it sounds like you may have your 12v red power wire in the wrong spot, i don't really understand. also, you definently want the bung pre-cat and on the driver side because something is definently not right if your reading 13-14 at WOT... it should be 11.5-12 i believe, mines at 11.5. please let me know why you put the red power wire to pin 91, i think thats not right but i'm not sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
862 Posts
Wings I know you and I have talked about this on the other board. I'm going to move my Power wire from the AirBAg fuse in the fuse box. What I wonder is if the window fuse or convertible top fuse would work since I have the wire and add-a fuse already on that side of the car?


Broke7 had his DJWBC power wire to the airbag too I believe.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
Wings65288 said:
nice signature you lucky bastard, i tell my friends about you how you have a '03 cobra and it's trailered by a '03 lightning! =) .
It definetly doesn't suck :beerchug:

anyways, i'm not sure why you reversed it and it sounds like you may have your 12v red power wire in the wrong spot, i don't really understand. also, you definently want the bung pre-cat and on the driver side because something is definently not right if your reading 13-14 at WOT... it should be 11.5-12 i believe, mines at 11.5. please let me know why you put the red power wire to pin 91, i think thats not right but i'm not sure
Maybe I was confusing. I did mine like this.

Red Power wire to the Defroster Switched Power
Black Ground to the PCM Ground
Black/White Ground to PIN 91 TPS Ground

Those wires are on the same connector that plugs into the wideband.

Grey wire thats on all those other mess of wires that you don't use unless you hook up a switch or trigger a relay goes to TPS Voltage or whatever its called on Pin 88 or 89 I forget now.

Orange wire goes to Pin 26 for RPM.
Yellow Wire that was in the box not connected to anything plugs into the connector that the orange wire is on and then goes to the MAF Voltage which is 88 or 89.

I think the ground I used at the PCM isn't good enough or I have the "smoothing" all the way on which is why it reacts slow. I have to check later tonight and I'm going to move the ground to a better location.

Tried to get the bung welded in pre-cat today but the exhaust shop wasted my time.

Hope that clarifies!

I don't know why everyone is wiring into the fuse block way back on the other side, just tap into the defroster power wire and call it a day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
869 Posts
Something additional for anyone reading or searching months from now. There are 2 Black/White wires. Wings and I are talking about different wires.

There is a Digital Ground Black/White that is located on the same pigtail as the Red Power and the Black Heater Ground Wire.

There is also a Black/White wire located in the Multifunction Pigtail with 6 wires. This one you tape out of the way, the only wire you use in this pigtail is the grey wire which is Analog 1 and should go to Pin 89 for the TPS Signal.

The Black/White wire on the 3 wire pigtail with the power I put to PIN 91 which is TPS ground. I don't know if it works because I didn't try it but I think you can also ground this wire with the heater ground and work ok. I read in some other threads that the TPS can sometimes read erract and if you ground to PIN 91 it fixes this.

Hope this helps someone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok yeah i think i know what to do, i have to some re-wiring damnit. i may call you later if i run into any problems. thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
TTA89 said:
I don't know why everyone is wiring into the fuse block way back on the other side, just tap into the defroster power wire and call it a day.
I don't like tapping into wires, lol. Mini taps are easier for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm having trouble with the TPS and MAF working correctly together when they are hooked up at the same time. When I disconnect the TPS and the TPS Ground from the ECU the MAF works fine.

I'm having one more slight problem, at idle my RPMs on the laptop are at 2,750 or so. Heres what i've noticed, if you take away the 2 from 2,750 my RPMs are actually at 750 and thats what my tach reads on my dash too. for example if it says 2,750 then my stock tach reads 750 on my dash. so it's basically 2,000 over what my RPMs actually are. But when I start driving the RPMs read normal on the laptop, it's like when the car is at idle the RPMs on the laptop are 2,000 RPMs over what it actually is. has anyone ever expierenced such a problem?

And yes all connections are secure and tight, i've checked them like 5 times. I had to disconnect the TPS for the MAF to work correctly. The Yellow wire is to the MAF pin #88, and the GREY wire was to the TPS pin #89, Black/white wire was to 91 which is the TPS Ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wings go into to Device Setup and change your Redline to 7000 RPMS and see how the RPMS read then.
ok thanks for the suggestion, before i go out tonight i'll try that and see what happens.
:beerchug:
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top