Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just ordered a whipple form tousley ford and have a metco 4# lower coming and want to tune it for e85.. who knows enough about e85 to tune my car and tell me what kind of power i could get? im in colorado so probaly have to do mail order and check it with my wideband.. whats possible here?

·
Registered
401 Posts
i just ordered a whipple form tousley ford and have a metco 4# lower coming and want to tune it for e85.. who knows enough about e85 to tune my car and tell me what kind of power i could get? im in colorado so probaly have to do mail order and check it with my wideband.. whats possible here?
Hope you have a fuel system..most likely 75lb injectors min...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im not sure what i can get away with.... i was thinking 80lb injectors.. and 2 walbros... and ecoated rails.. but idk if 80s will be enought.. i can get tripple pumps just the injectors are what im worried about..

·
Registered
401 Posts
What power are you planning on making. 600 hp will require 96s i believe. 40% more fuel is all that I am 100% sure of. 75s will support a mild kb or whipple car..

mk

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i know on 91 people make 600 to the wheels at sea level.. id like to make at least 600 to the wheels at 4800 about sea level if im gona spend the extra money.. i figured people made like 1000 to the wheels on 80s so 600 or so would be possible with e85 idk thats what im trying to figure out.. i know at wot its like 40% more fuel.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Not sure on e85 but propane needs 40% more injector. I know a guy that has 2 propane vehicles. One is a dual quad hemi, the other is an inline 6 turbocharged car. The hemi has 2 model E vaporizors and the turbocharged car has one. The vaporizor is necessary because propane boils at -41 degrees. You have to run it through a vaporizer to turn it back to liquid so it can burn through the carb or injector or whatever method used.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
are there any tuners out there that can give me some ideas?

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are people out there putting close to if not over 700 to the wheels and only running 60lbs inj and just dual GT pumps on pump gas 93.

I believe with E85, you'll need to run lower A/F ratio (richer) than 91 or 93 due to lower BTU value and also E85 has a higher effective octane which will allow you to run more timing.

The question is , if you tune your car optimally for E85. Are you going to promise your car that you'll only put in E85? How available is E85 in your area? What if you make a road trip?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
there are two e85 pumps in my town on the street i cruise on the weeknds and its on the way to my local strip.. If i tune it for e85 thats all im gona run... unless i can get a flip chip then may have a 91 tune also.. i know theres a few tuners on this site figured they would pop in and tell me what i can do.. 600 or 650 to the wheels is what im wanting. i assume cause of the elavation i could maybe get 550 on 91.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Fast makes a wideband programed for the stoich of E85, if you have the fuel system, get that wideband and then any tuner can tune it and use the A/F ratio from the Fast wideband beacuse the Fast wideband will correct the readout to pump gas figures, so use it and go for 11.5-11.8 :1.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i dont know of any places around here id trust to tune my car..

·
Premium Member
4,026 Posts
There are a number of tuners on this site that could help you.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yea lol i was hoping some of them would step in here and help me out.. im starting to think i wont be able to support the e85 with high impedance injectors..

·
Registered
38 Posts
sonic03cobra86 Not sure where you live. Andy at dynotuneusa.com does lots of corn tuning. I belive he still does Dan Shoneck tuning. On top of that he is a good guy to deal with. I would talk with him he can set you straight on what you would need.

BTW E85 take 28-30% more fuel than gas E98 takes about 40%

Matt

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
It doesn't take huge fuel injectors on E85 to get big power. It really depends on the rest of the fuel system. For example, I'm still on 60 lb injectors with nothing but E85, and putting down 640 at the wheels. That's with a return style system, with the fuel pressure turned up slightly to compensate. I'm maxed out on these injectors. I'd recommend the new 80 lb FRPP injectors. They are more than capable of doing the deeds with E85.

You really need someone that knows what they're doing on the tuning. Pro-Dyno in South Carolina does all my E85 tuning but they don't do mail order tunes.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We just made our first pull on E85 the other day with 23.5psi pulley on a KB 2.8H Mammoth and otherwise stock longblock.

686rwhp on a Dyno Dynamics dyno in Shootout 8F mode, and my tuner tells me it will be touch and go for too much more power.

Fuel pressure is 53psi at idle running up to almost 80psi at 6200rpm
Boost touching almost 25psi at 6200
Injectors are 79lb Racetronix
Aeromotive Eliminator pump and A1000 spec regulator, -8 Fuel rails throughout.
AFR's are in the low 12's

E85 rocks, but buy big injectors

Daniel

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cat600 thats wierd your running low 12's for afr's? thought e85 was like in the 9's? hmm idk.. gota start ordering the fuel system to get everything going.. probalt gona get the ford racing 80s and twin or triple walbros. hope it works

·
Registered
223 Posts
cat600 thats wierd your running low 12's for afr's? thought e85 was like in the 9's? hmm idk.. gota start ordering the fuel system to get everything going.. probalt gona get the ford racing 80s and twin or triple walbros. hope it works
Sorry, my bad..... when we tune we leave the wideband software set to gasoline. Just makes it easier to understand where we are in terms of safety, although E85 it seems has no problem either running leaner than race gas, or still making good numbers really rich (pig rich I would normally say)

Pump wise you will be fine with three walbros, but 80's might not be enough if you are going to set the 3.4L to KILL!

Daniel

·
Registered
625 Posts
hey man,

im doing a very similar setup with my car. i also live in colorado! i got a ken bell 2.2 and i will be tuning with a sct 4bank chip. im going to get my car tuned at dynopro.

im installing the blower this week and should be down at the tuner in the next few weeks. ill let you know how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts