Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get some good techie info here, maybe you can help clear up some things Chris. I know alot of people are misguided about what the newest ECMs from Ford do and do not do.

What do they record? I have heard in the past people say they record how fast you have been, how many times you have hit the rev limiter, and other things. I don't really think it does all this, but alot of people seem to think so.

Also, what are the limits of tuning with a chip? How far can you go on stock electronics? At what point is something like FAST, or DFI neccessary?

On the Modular powered cars, is there a certain ECM code that is better? I know the some of the ECMs from the 5.0 cars were different, some were better than others.

Anything else you can add would be great.

Thanks Chris

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
There is whats called a "black box" in many auto's now days which do record a lot of stuff and the data they capture has been used in court on many occasions now to help determine guilt etc.

G

·
Shadowgray03 said:
There is whats called a "black box" in many auto's now days which do record a lot of stuff and the data they capture has been used in court on many occasions now to help determine guilt etc.
Well that bites!
So the 03 Cobra's have this?

Harry

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Shadowgray03 said:
There is no such box.The only box that can record and keep data is the air bag ecu.It can tell you exactly what happened in a wreck,aka speed,g force load on impact,etc.But as far as a box for the cars ecu.Its not there.
Ive been a tech for 15 years and have never seen one in a car.

Chips in the newer cars are good but not as good as a reflash.
Reflsh can gain access to a lot more areas that a chip cant get to.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
white99gt said:
There is no such box.The only box that can record and keep data is the air bag ecu.It can tell you exactly what happened in a wreck,aka speed,g force load on impact,etc.But as far as a box for the cars ecu.Its not there.
Ive been a tech for 15 years and have never seen one in a car.

Chips in the newer cars are good but not as good as a reflash.
Reflsh can gain access to a lot more areas that a chip cant get to.
I used the term "black box" {notice the quotes} as an analogue to the airplane setup, but here are some details.

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1616/53Vetronix.pdf

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Shadowgray03 said:
I used the term "black box" {notice the quotes} as an analogue to the airplane setup, but here are some details.

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/1616/53Vetronix.pdf
That black box has been in cars since they started coming with airbags.

I use the very same equipment everyday to see that info.I help our body shop get that info for the insurance companies so they can have it translated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts