Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now here is where I'm about as dumb as a box of rocks. I will be plumbing my fuel system for my stock Mark VIII 4.6l from scratch. Everything from tank to rails is aftermarket, so I will not need to incorperate any stock parts into the system. Which of the following diagrams would you chose to plumb this system? (Thanks Wayne for the illustration.)

Now version A & B look rather simple but I worry about fuel not being able to get evenly to all the injectors, am I off base here. Version C seems like the last in line might get hungry when you push the loud pedal. Version D looks the best but I really don't want all those hoses under the hood if I don't need them. Man I suck when it comes to this stuff someone please help.
Patrick

·
Registered
352 Posts
C or D. C is factory style, on the Mark VIII and 96-98 Cobras with return-style fuel systems. I've seen A and B done but it's not the best since the idea is to keep pressure through the rails then return to the tank via the regulator. C or D will give the most consistent pressure. D is probably best for high-flow engines, but for a stock MK VIII, I'd go with C. That's what I did with mine.

You'll want to use the factory regulator (or rail-mounted replacement) or an Aeromotive A1000 (or something like it). The Mallory 4305M regulator is made to work with A or B (and not C or D), but I would recommend C or D with the Aeromotive regulator.

By the way, nice Cobra.

Here's a link to the same question on another forum:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/showtopic.php?tid/1504845/tp/1/

·
Registered
310 Posts
I talked to Aeromotive when I did mine...they recommended a set-up like D. So thats how I did mine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I have received the major components for my fuel system still need to order line and fittings. I think will have to plumb a new fitting into the bottom of the tank for the pick up or do you think the fuel pump would draw fuel the whole 12" that the tank is high. my thought was to mount the pump below the tank and hope the the siphon theory would help draw fuel to the pump.

I hope these pictures help explain my situation and how I'm going about this project.
Patrick

·
Registered
985 Posts
You want version D. THat is how I did mine, also the easiest, with the most consistent flow/volume. Here are a couple pics to help, although I dont have alot of good fuel system pics. Use 180* fittings at the front of the fuel rails (if feeding from rear), essentially bringing the lines direcly back over the rails for a clean look before being routed out of sight to the regualtor. Then a return from the regulator back to the tank. I know if you do decide to use 96-98 cobra stock rails, russell makes a fitting to attach AN lines/fittings to them.

James

EDIT: I also would consider possibly modifying the cell with a sump on the bottom with some new AN fittings as I am not sure I like the pickup system on that cell for a car like yours that is going to be cornering and accelerating like crazy and such. Just a thought.

James

1 - 6 of 6 Posts