Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the procees of rebuilding my engine and am considering a Meziere electric water pump. I'm aware of the benifits just looking for some input on how reliable they are. I plan to drive the car around 7-10k a year along with a few long raod trips. I'm just concerned about it failing and me not catching it until it's too late. Has anyone seen any pump failures?

On a side note I'm a BMW master tech and we have been using electric water pumps on all our new 6 cyl engines since 2004. We have seen preety much zero failures. But the are controled in a completely different way and do not run wide open all the time.

Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I know a few guys around here run them and have had no problems at all. I used to run a CSI on my foxbody car and also never had any problems. I'll eventually be putting one on this car as well. Anything can happen though, just have to keep a watch on the temp gauge.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
They advertise a 3000 hour lifespan I think?. However, im sure they may last longer.

·
Administrator
1965 SPF 427 Cobra, & 2022 BMW M850
9,484 Posts
I'm in the procees of rebuilding my engine and am considering a Meziere electric water pump. I'm aware of the benifits just looking for some input on how reliable they are. I plan to drive the car around 7-10k a year along with a few long raod trips. I'm just concerned about it failing and me not catching it until it's too late. Has anyone seen any pump failures?

On a side note I'm a BMW master tech and we have been using electric water pumps on all our new 6 cyl engines since 2004. We have seen preety much zero failures. But the are controled in a completely different way and do not run wide open all the time.

Thanks
Dan
Dan,

I understand your concern over continuous operation and its effect on lifespan. There are several controller manufacturers available that use pulse width modulation to control DC motors. One is SPAL, and they were my default favorite until someone in another thread found this company click here => http://www.dccontrol.com/0820.htm

They build some features into their unit not available from SPAL including load rating. They work equally well on electric fans or water pumps and provide the appearance of a seamless change in rpm to match the cooling requirement.

FWIW I think that the reduction to zero or near zero rpm for a radiator fan is OK but for a cooling pump on the engine I think you would want some threshold flow of water through the engine to prevent localized boiling of the coolant. I suspect the use of an electric water pump and fan with one of these controllers might just be the most effective cooling system possible.

By the way if you haven't looked at Evans coolant its worth the time and mouse clicks. It has a BP of somewhere around 400 degrees but more impressive and valuable is a very low vapor pressure and low operating pressure for the cooling system. They advertise something like 3psi or less at 200+ degrees. Here's a link to one of their pages on the coolant. Click here => http://www.evanscooling.com/main21.htm

Ed

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
WOW. I just read about that coolant. Is it possible to completely drain a Cobra's coolant system without major surgery? I think I need to invest in this.
Thanks,
James

·
Administrator
1965 SPF 427 Cobra, & 2022 BMW M850
9,484 Posts
WOW. I just read about that coolant. Is it possible to completely drain a Cobra's coolant system without major surgery? I think I need to invest in this.
Thanks,
James
James,

It takes a little effort and a little patience but yes. They have a procedure they recommend to do it.

The coolant is coool - no pun intended.

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts