Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to modular engines. So excuse my ignorance. Is the block the same for the 4.6 and the 5.4? I have access to 5.4 truck motors all day and was wondering if i could take a 5.4 block and build it up with all 4.6 internals and get it ready for a engine swap into the car? Is this possible? thanks for any feedback

·
Registered
257 Posts
No they have different deck heights, but you might consider a 5.4L transplant. You can do a search to find out what is required and whats best.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the deck height only pertained to heads? If that is the case i plan on using aftermarket heads. Only wanted to use the bare block.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hmm Im trying to think of a way to explain deck height so bare with me. The deck height is the length of the cylinder, so if you put a rod and piston that only have a 4 inch travel up and down, into a 6 inch cylinder, you will have your piston sitting 2 inches under the deck. The 5.4 has a different crank and different legth rod, The internals will not swap but you can use any head (4.6 or 5.4) on either block. To build the 5.4 block you need 5.4 parts.

Hope this helps my explaination isnt the best

·
Registered
131 Posts
there are no aftermarket heads ford makes them all

·
Registered
80 Posts
I believe deck height is the measurement between the crank center line and the deck surfaces of the block. This dim. is not always the same, left and right side, hence "decking the block" to make them equal.
EDIT: The 5.4 deck height is about 1" more than the 4.6, making it higher and wider.

·
Registered
257 Posts
GT281 said:
I believe deck height is the measurement between the crank center line and the deck surfaces of the block. This dim. is not always the same, left and right side, hence "decking the block" to make them equal.
Thank you that is correct, I couldnt think of a way to let him understand why they wouldnt work.

·
Registered
651 Posts
the difference between a 4.6 and 5.4 block is very much liek the difference between a 5.0 and 5.8 windsor. the bigger one just has a taller deck b/c of the longer stroke

·
Registered
492 Posts
Instead of trying to transplant a 5.4, why not throw the VT stroker kit in for much less than it would cost for the 5.4 conversion. All the parts are forged so you would have a bullet proof bottom end. This will be the next thing I do in a year from now or so. The displacement changes to 5.0 which is decent, and hell you can even bore it out some for that little extra while yout in there. Just another avenue to explore.

·
Registered
257 Posts
stanggt00 said:
Instead of trying to transplant a 5.4, why not throw the VT stroker kit in for much less than it would cost for the 5.4 conversion. All the parts are forged so you would have a bullet proof bottom end. This will be the next thing I do in a year from now or so. The displacement changes to 5.0 which is decent, and hell you can even bore it out some for that little extra while yout in there. Just another avenue to explore.
I think cost is his number 1 factor, notice he says he can get the 5.4 anyday. I also doubt a Stroker kit is cheaper than a plain ole 5.4 swap, but thats opinion because I dont know what the kit actually costs. Also all things equal, the stroker isnt going to make as much hp or tq than a 5.4. Im Speaking same heads and poweradder on both, only difference being shortblocks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dunno know if its true but I also heard all 5.4s have a forged steel crank. If you can get a 5.4 out of a Navigator they are 4v heads. Its a (very)tight fit but it appears to be a decent swap good HP, excellent torgue.

·
Registered
492 Posts
PM NX330MustangGT. He did the swap and could tell you alot more. All I know is I saw an article that totaled the cost out to be $12k. Theres alot more to making it work that just dropping in the motor. I am simply providing another option. This is the link for VT if your interested.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I appreciate all the responses. It gives me some options to think about before i go ahead. I am leaning towards a stroker motor but its not a definite just yet. Thanks again

·
Registered
17 Posts
I believe the Lightning uses a 5.4 2V headed motor. I'm not sure if the blocks used in the Lightnings are different from the stock 5.4's but at least all the lightning internals would fit in the stock truck 5.4. I've read about a Lightning motor going into a Fox bodied mustang, and Ive read in some threads of a 5.4 4V going into an SN95 body, but have yet to hear about a lightning motor going into a SN95. If I wasnt building a forged blown 4.6 2V, Id consider a 5.4 swap into my 97GT.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hood clearance is a major problem with a blown Lightning 5.4 into a sn95. Its a very tall combination.

myhorsedollar said:
I believe the Lightning uses a 5.4 2V headed motor. I'm not sure if the blocks used in the Lightnings are different from the stock 5.4's but at least all the lightning internals would fit in the stock truck 5.4. I've read about a Lightning motor going into a Fox bodied mustang, and Ive read in some threads of a 5.4 4V going into an SN95 body, but have yet to hear about a lightning motor going into a SN95. If I wasnt building a forged blown 4.6 2V, Id consider a 5.4 swap into my 97GT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts