Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Cobra fellows,

I normally post (I should say lurk) on SVT Performance, but now I have a problem and wanted your opinions on it, since I know there are a lot of Gurus like Nitrous Pete on here. So here my story: took a ride in the Cobra today (its 3rd run, so not even broken yet) and during a WOT acceleration in 4th gear I suddenly hear a loud tick-tick-tick that's coming from the motor (it follows the RPM). If I release the gas than it disappear but as soon as I return on it, it returns. And I don't need to return on it very hard because I can make the tick-tick happen even if the blower don't go on.

THIS PROBLEM IS NOT THE USUAL TICK.

I know the usual tick is hearable at idle whereas mine doesn't make any noise at idle. Only when I stump little or hard on it, no matter the speed or the gear. It happened suddenly like something just broke. The car only has 180 miles on it. I have it since December but Montreal winters are not for a car like that so I have been using the beater instead.

Any help is greatly appreciated, since I know some of you guys could diagnose this problem far better than the dealer will.

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
Just a guess from the limited info, but if it isn't missing now, maybe an exhaust gasket. There have been several instances of this.
Easy to check too.
If not, need lots more info.

Dana

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dana,

thanks for your guess. When you say it is easy to check, how would you check it? By looking where the manifolds tied to the block I should be able to see a leak there (if any)? Sorry if my question sound basic but I did a lot of mechanic on snowmobiles and watercrafts but not much on cars...

·
Bluesmobile
2,121 Posts
A few guys have found loose nuts at the junction of the h-pipe to the exhaust manifolds. That would be the first place to look or rather feel, if you suspect an exhaust leak. You would most likely feel the hot exhaust escaping near the gasket.

Less likely is the gasket between the head and manifold.
The exhaust leak will have a different sound that a metalic tick or knock.

If the leak is severe enough, you may even get a SES light.

I have not experienced this leak myself, so these are guesses based on similiar experiences.

Dana

·
Registered
661 Posts
If it insn't missing, and pulls ok, There is prob. a exh leak.
Stop the tail pipe up with a shop towel, and listen at the header
Use your hand fold the towel sevceral times over, this will cause pressure on the manafold, You may find it that way. Is it on the driver side ? I had one there.

nitro Good luck:shocked

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is making more of a metalic tick rather than something smooth-out like the gasket between H-pipe and manifold. I will check both tomorrow, but if any leak i suspect between heads and manifold because of the souns it is making.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Its Poss. a rocker, spring ? what side ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
You could also probe around with a length of heater hose and use it like a stethascope to listen for a leak. It will fit in a lot of places your hand won't and you won't burn yourself feeling around hot exhaust components.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pete, I will check it tomorrow. But if it is a rocker spring, would it be making noise at idle too? Because mine makes no abnormal sound when I am not on it. Any "trick" to improve or disapprove the rocker theory?

I wish it's not a rocker, I would hate seeing the local dealer playing in my motor...

·
Registered
189 Posts
nitrous pete said:
Its Poss. a rocker, spring ? what side ?
I was thinking spring or rocker too. Did he say it was down in power?

·
400 Posts
The front driver's side cam girdle seems to be prone to coming loose. Have ford check it asap. I know of 2 guys that have broke cam followers because of this.

Rick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I've found one hose disconnected (see pics below). Re-connected it (telling to myself THAT IS THE PROBLEM). But finally NO. Still the same tick-tick NO change in sound. Is it normal that this hose disconnect itself? I mean by normal, a typical issue...

BTW: Sorry for the low resolution. These pics were comming from my HandyCam.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Robertson Racin said:
Does it run smooth?? or does it have a miss??
Run smooth, no miss and as powerful as before by the SOTP. But tick-tick as soon as you stomp on it. The more you stomp the louder the tick-tick.

Thanks BilletFlow for the re-post.

·
Registered
8 Posts
03 Terminator said:
It is making more of a metalic tick rather than something smooth-out like the gasket between H-pipe and manifold. I will check both tomorrow, but if any leak i suspect between heads and manifold because of the souns it is making.
An exhaust leak will sound like a metallic "tick" and get louder as you apply throttle - and be pretty much non-existant at idle. I had my x-pipe & cat back replaced and about 1 month later - one of the nuts backed out (manifold to x pipe connection). Took it back to the shop - easy fix. Now on my 01, having thought that the car had developed the infamous "ping", was doing a lot of troubleshooting trying to fix it. I finally said screw Ford, and took the car to a local shop to pay for it to be fixed. A set of header gaskets later, no more "pinging". Anyway, I agree with what others have said - it's probably an exhaust leak.

Mark...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My dealer found the problem! One hose in between the firewall and the motor on drivers's side was disconnected! I've already found my DPFE hose being disconnected and now that one. I asked the dealer why hoses kept on disconnecting and he came out with that answer: Too much backpressure because of clogged cats. He ended up ordering new cats from Ford and will be replacing upon receipt. I am not too convince about the backpressure theory but who would complain about getting new cats!

BTW: Are the replacement cats same part number as previous ones? If yes clogged cats will always re-clog if the engine is started and shut-down (within seconds) repeatedly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts