Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is about my Hummer H3, I posted on the Hummer boards but they are all a bunch of premadonnas that say go to the dealer :mad2:

Hey Guys,
I am in the Navy stationed in England. Over the last 2 weeks or so we have gotten like 15 inches of snow. So I've spent the last few weeks pulling guys out of ditches and running the truck through some serious puddles.

A couple of weeks ago the engine developed a lite squeal that at start up that would go away after the motor warmed up. I attributed this to it being so dang cold and running through so much water. I got tired of that and decided to do some maintenance this morning.

I washed the motor by using some simple green and hosing her down like I have always done. After that I sprayed some WD40 on all the pulleys figuring they needed some lube, the engine has developed a Gawd awful squeal that hasn't gotten any better. On teh up side my initial squeal seems to have gone away, however this new noise is terrible and doesn't go away.

Does anyone have any suggestions what might be causing this? The guys at the local garage seem to think too much WD40 got on the belt and the only way to fix it is to replace the entire belt. Problem is everything has to be done through mail order here since there are no REAL auto parts stores around here. So trial and error isn't really an option and my wife refuses to ride with me until I fix the noise.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Not a good idea with the WD40. WD40 is NOT lube... WD40 is first and foremost a DEGREASER. You probably accidently degreased the bearings on one or more pullies. This is probably what is causing your squeel.. Unless you got lucky and all the WD40 did was degrade the belt enough for it to squeel. Either way its going to be a good idea to replace the belt. If that doesn't help, its most likely a pulley bearing.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet! Thanks for the gouge. So you think I might need all new pullies? Or can I fix it with some silicone spray or something? Or did it just screw up my belt?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
If it's serpentine belt and you can remove it, clean it with simple green and a brush inside out.
check all idler pullies for any slop while the belt is off.
Install the belt and run the truck. If there is a belt squeal or chirp rub some candle wax on the back side of the belt (non ribbed side). If this helps order a new belt since the wax will disappear in a little while.
Also check to see if anything is out of alignment such as the belt tensioner.

If the squeal isn't gone with candle wax it's probably one of the idler pullies which is bad.
You can try to amplify the sound by dolding a long screwdriver against the motor near each idler and putting your ear up against the other end like a stethoscope.
Be careful not to get it caught in the moving parts or you'll get a screwdriver through the head.
I prefer an automotive stehoscope which you can probably find in the U.K.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it's serpentine belt and you can remove it, clean it with simple green and a brush inside out.
check all idler pullies for any slop while the belt is off.
Install the belt and run the truck. If there is a belt squeal or chirp rub some candle wax on the back side of the belt (non ribbed side). If this helps order a new belt since the wax will disappear in a little while.
Also check to see if anything is out of alignment such as the belt tensioner.

If the squeal isn't gone with candle wax it's probably one of the idler pullies which is bad.
You can try to amplify the sound by dolding a long screwdriver against the motor near each idler and putting your ear up against the other end like a stethoscope.
Be careful not to get it caught in the moving parts or you'll get a screwdriver through the head.
I prefer an automotive stehoscope which you can probably find in the U.K.
Thanks man, I'll try that. I just have a hard time beleiving the pulleys or
tensioner are bad since there are so little miles on the truck. I really hope it is just a bad belt. at idle there is no sound but as throttle is pressed it gets a little worse.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One more thing, slop, does that mean the pulleys shouldn't move at all with the belt off?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Thanks man, I'll try that. I just have a hard time beleiving the pulleys or
tensioner are bad since there are so little miles on the truck. I really hope it is just a bad belt. at idle there is no sound but as throttle is pressed it gets a little worse.
sounds like the belt, pulleys would make some type of sound at any rpm

·
Registered
437 Posts
Why not just take the belt off, and start it up and make sure the noise is gone first before doing anything else ? If it is then start looking for the problem . If it is still there then something else is making the noise .

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm Screwed

Last night I sprayed Simple Green on the pulley assembly in an attempt to degrease the WD40, I'm afraid I may have degreased the ball bearings in the PS pump as there was a loud metaly noise that came from that side of the motor and I recall spraying liberal amounts of spray on it.

This morning I did as everyone suggested, took the belt off, washed it in simple green and dish soap. Let it dry, washed all the pulleys and dried them down, I even sprayed white grease on the front and back side of the PS pulley.

Initial start up sounded great, no noise no nothing, about 1 minute in the noise came back, emanating from the PS area of the motor. I think I'm going to take her to the local mechanic tomorrow and let them trouble shoot it. Hopefully they can repack the bearings or something. If not I guess I'll have her towed the 70 miles to London (especially since one pound costs $1.50, that's right, I get to pay 1.5x more to fix my truck). I forgot to add I started the car with no belt on it and it made no noise at all.

This has been one heck of a learning experiance and I'm sure it's not over. Stayed tuned.

Jesse

PS Thanks to everyone for your help. I REALLY REALLY wish I was back in the states where I could drive 15 minutes and get her fixed or hell even be able to get a simple belt at the local auto parts place.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not just take the belt off, and start it up and make sure the noise is gone first before doing anything else ? If it is then start looking for the problem . If it is still there then something else is making the noise .
I did that bit and there was no noise. So does that narrow it down to a pulley problem?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I did that bit and there was no noise. So does that narrow it down to a pulley problem?
Yes it does, now with the belt off, turn each pulley by hand and see if you can tell which one is making the noise .If none of them seem rough turning, it may just be the belt, as I have seen some belts make a noise when they get worn,and some brands just seem to make more noise than others.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks I turned each pulley there was no noise or obvious slop. Of course I couldn't trun them at the same RPM they would run at if the motor was hooked up to them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
WD40 is first and foremost a DEGREASER.
No... it's not... at all.
Can you post up a sound clip so we can get a better idea of what we're dealing with? Also... have you had the truck in a heated area over night for a thaw since the noise has started?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'll work on the sound clip. As fae as the garage goes, no not yet as during the day it hits about 40 for the last couple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've dealt with this before but on my 09 mustang. Always start with the belt and not the pulleys. If the belt makes ANY noise at all it is no good. Get a new one. I had the wrong size pulley on my tensioner and with the whipple it glazed it over. In the cold, belts get siff and rub and get shiney. This make them squeek like bearings. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
139 Posts
wd-40 = water displacement - formula # 40

and agreed nine outa 10 it's just the belt worse case senerio you order a new belt and if indeed it is the pulley you have a spare belt lol

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hope so fellas, but there is a Gawd awful metallic noise coming from the PS pump. I guess we'll see what a pro has to say tomorrow.

But is it possible to degrease a ball bearing in something like a PS Pulley with a simple dousing of Simple green? I mean hell if it's that easy then what happens when I really do off road the Hummer?

·
Registered
116 Posts
No it's sealed... you should be able to spray brakleen at that bish and not have it change a thing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts