Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was yapping on the phone the other day with my bro Haveight (by the way...WHERE ARE YOU?? SOMEONE GET HIM IN HERE!)

Anyway, he's the ANIMAL that won the first 03 shootout at Beech Bend (everyone thinks he won cause he's light...I know that it's cause he's got the mindset of a hardened criminal...I love him for that).

He saw a prototype set of MT ET Streets for 17" rims. And they have more durable compound to last longer. They're coming out in various heights and widths.

Can't wait to see those babies. Can't find any info yet on them. If anyone stumbles across anything please let me know.

·
400 Posts
Yah where is Matt!?! He must be in a cave hibernating for the winter.
Wonder how much better they will be then the BFG dr's, being a 17" with a very short sidewall I'm wondering weather if that type of tire will work. Maybe good. With the lower sidewall then the regular size et street it may not shock the irs is bad which will be good. But if you upgrade the axles and rear I think you would definitely want the sidewall for lower 60 ft times. I tell ya Rich it may be real sweet. Can't wait to see some test results. We are a MT dealer and I'll call them this week.

Rick

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Speaking of Matt I am afraid to ask what he has done to his car lately.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spoke to Mat this morning.

He was in a very unfortunate accident with his Harley F-150. He's OK but has a couple of broken ribs and a nasty bump on his head. The accident had to do with ice on the road.

He tried to join this board but never received his email verification in order to activate the account. Can someone help with that??

He should have registered as Haveight.

·
Registered
191 Posts
subscribing to this thread, I just happen to have a extra pair of 17x9 cobra R's in the garage and my BFG's don't hook for shit! Hey Rick, get us some info. on those 17" MT ET streets. I know I could sure use a pair! :D

·
Registered
521 Posts
ALLNTRL, wanna get rid of those DR's?

·
Registered
191 Posts
chillfactor said:
Alot of guys are hooking real good on BFGs with low 60' times. I wonder why you are having trouble??????
I would like to know that myself? :confused: I have a friend that uses them and he cuts LOW 1.7x 60ft. times with his consistantly, I myself have tried every way possible to launch on them and the best 60ft. I have ever cut was a 1.89 and that was ONLY ONCE! :rolleyes: Most of the time my 60ft. times are in the high 1.9x's with them. :vomit: I am fed up with trying to use them though I am going to an ET street in either 16" or 17's if they become available. I will say this about the BFG DR's, I have found that they hook better on the street than they do at the track! :rolleyes:

My $ .02

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
3 words, "Second Gear Burnout"

Conflicts with what the manufacurer tells you, they say they don't need to be heated up.

Funny or sad story, depending on how you look at it. I'm in the staging lanes at Atco, Two guys from a Supra, about 20 cars up come waling back. "is that an '03", "what does it run?" I answer them, and the driver, says, "that's about what I run, do you mind if I line up with you, i like to have a car next to me going down the track, I think it makes me drive better." His car puts down or 560 or 580 rwhp, I forget which, and he has the exact same tires as me, 275/40-17 BFG's.

I tell him, it's fine with me, I'll run whoever is next to me. I must emphazise, the guy was real cool, and this was all friendly. We BS'ed for a long time until the lanes started moving.

Anyway, he pulls over and waits for me. We line up, I do my second gear burnout and we both stage. Light turns green, and the Supra is so far back, I can't even see the car. Finally it is far enough back I can see him in the mirrors, and he is catching me pretty fast. But he doesn't quite get there. He ran a 12.26 @ 128.92! , to my [email protected] 121.15.

We get back to the staging lanes, his buddy starts razzing him about how his car put out a wisp of smoke during the burnout, and mine looked like a funny car burnout. The dude looks at my 60 ft and freaks out, positively of course, a 1.782 to his 2.5. He is like "how the hell did you do that?" His car went 100 in the 1/8 with a 2.5 60 ft!

Anyway, I tell him about the second gear burn out, even though I think it will cause me to lose the next race with him.

We pull up again, I do my burn out, I stage, no Supra in sight, I am just turning to look back and they throw the red light on in the other lane. I guess 2nd gear and 580 rwhp was too much for the clutch or something else in the driveline to take. I went [email protected] 120.82 with a 1.718 60 ft, and pulled around just in time to see the Supra getting pushed out of the starting area. I felt bad to see that. The guy has a shop so I am sure he has it fixed up nice.

Anyway, moral of the story, second gear burn out, and be carefull, or you too can be pushed out of the staging lanes.

JT

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Pull through the water, nice blip to get the whole tire wet, pull out just past the edge of the water,

Drop the clutch at 5000 in 2nd, put your third foot on the brake after the tires break lose, hold 5000 until you here the tone of the engine change as the car really loads up when the water is burned off and the tires start to get hot, let of the brake and spin out of the burn out, i.e. don't apruptly let of thee accelerator pedal, let off smoothly while the car rolls forward. I don't know why that matters, but at track with a short area between the water and the starting line, were I have to cut that procedure short, the 60 ft suffers.

Oh yeah watch the speedo as well as the tach, if it doesn't come of 0 when you drop the clutch, let out immediatly, a 1/2 a second delay and you'll be getting towed home.

JT

·
Registered
191 Posts
JT, I always do a second gear burnout with the BFG's, heating them a good 8-10 sec. before pulling up to the line. TRUST ME I'm heating the shit out of them :D and my 60ft times still SUCK that's why I'm not happy with the BFG's at the track. Any other suggestions? :confused:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts