Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
"Do Work"
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have finally decided to put the car under the gun. I have realized 10psi on a stock motor will only "hold me off" for so long when it comes to power :bigwink:.

I have decided to up the boost to 12-14psi, and add a shot of the good stuff :thumb2:

Dropped my motor off at my builder this morning, should be done in a few weeks, then I'll get her back on the road! :rockon:

- .020 Bore
- Steel Crank
- Forged H Beam Rods
- Manley Pistons
- Ported Heads
- Springs/Retainers
- Melling Oil Pump
- Felpro Gaskets
- Cloyes Timing Set
- ARP Studded

TKO600 Transmission
Tri-Ax Shifter
Mcloud Clutch

60Inj
Modified FPDM
Dual Hat/Twin GT pumps

I don't have any pictures so far. They are on my camera which I left at the warhouse. I will get them up as the build progresses. I am picking up my tranny within the next week! I will keep this as a progress/Build thread!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Way to go man.
Glad to see you are forging ahead. (Pun intended)
I blew up my factory engine on 12psi so I think you have done the best thing. Go ahead and do it right the first time.

Let us see pics along the way and updates.

Congrats!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Congrats on the build...I chickened out and just went with a MMR shortblock.

·
My car hates me
503 Posts
sexynerd i remember when your car had just bolt ons over on mustangforums. It's come quite a long way and looks much meaner i have to say.

·
Registered
192 Posts
sexynerd i remember when your car had just bolt ons over on mustangforums. It's come quite a long way and looks much meaner i have to say.
:tip:Thanks and like your sig says "still not enough"!

·
doing it with a 2v..
2,589 Posts
have you already bought the tko?

·
"Do Work"
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would ditch that timing set. there have been a few issues with the cloyes timing gears.
Hmm, I actually searched and didnt find much on it. I have a friend who is running the Cloyes timing set, and hasnt had any issues. Have you had faliure using it?

very cool, cant wait to see it..Godd luck and should be a very fun ride!!
Thanks! :tip:I should have pictures shortly. Just wanted to get the thread started!
Way to go man.
Glad to see you are forging ahead. (Pun intended)
I blew up my factory engine on 12psi so I think you have done the best thing. Go ahead and do it right the first time.

Let us see pics along the way and updates.

Congrats!
Will do! Pictures will be up as the process goes along!

Congrats on the build...I chickened out and just went with a MMR shortblock.
I was "Thinking" of doing the MMR shortblock, with my heads ported, and doing cams, etc but it ended up being quite a bit more. Having mine stripped/Bored/Cleaned/and re-done. I only have about 32k miles on my motor, but I just need more power :dunno2:

have you already bought the tko?
There is a guy here local I am buying from. He fell the other week and got a Blood clot in his leg. So he has been in/out of the hospital, so its hard to go and pick up the transmission. TKO, Bellhousing, Mcloud Clutch, and Tri-Ax shifter I am getting for $1,000, which is a steal... Are you selling one?

·
doing it with a 2v..
2,589 Posts
no.. but they are not to great of a tranny.. i doubt you will be happy with it. i would rather to a built 3650.. i have had a tko in my car too.

·
"Do Work"
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What would a Built 3650 run? Any ideas, any websites I can check out. I have heard of people building them, dont know much about it though!

·
Registered
563 Posts
From what I hear the problems with the Cloyes Timing gears has been fixed and they work now... I tend to like the idea of just grinding the cam keyway to degree them in myself. And its a hell of a lot cheaper..

·
"Do Work"
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
have you thought about doing a 4v swap on the heads ? i know that it would make a hell of a diff. for you ?
Yea. I gave it some thought. But I would have to change setups in order for it to work. My supercharger is made for 2V's and the SOHC, it isnt compatable to a 4V head, unless I change the manifold that it sits on, which will require quite a bit of work. So porting my heads and doing custom grinded cams are my best bet.

The cams are the 230/236 comp cams, but slightly adjusted for supercharger/nitrous. Luckily my builder has some connections at comp-cams and they are going to make some adjustments on it.

I will have more info/pictures as this goes along!

:dunno2:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yeah, and when you get into the 4v stuff you better have deep pockets. These 2v can make anywhere from 500-700rwhp so I would not change.
More than enough for a street driven car.
JMHO

·
"Do Work"
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah, and when you get into the 4v stuff you better have deep pockets. These 2v can make anywhere from 500-700rwhp so I would not change.
More than enough for a street driven car.
JMHO
100% agree. I work for Ford, so getting 4V heads wouldnt be too big of an issue, but I didnt want to go through the hassle of swapping all the other stuff, which would of REALLY dug into my pockets.

I'M hoping for 430-475 on motor, I will be happy in that range. Once everything gets broken in properly, I will run the 100 shot. When I'm at the track, or get into a tight bind, I will throw in the 150's. :bigwink:

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
What would a Built 3650 run? Any ideas, any websites I can check out. I have heard of people building them, dont know much about it though!
A built 3650 will cost you 1000-1200 depending on the condition of the trans. You will save yourself some cash going that route as apposed to a tko.

·
"Do Work"
1,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A built 3650 will cost you 1000-1200 depending on the condition of the trans. You will save yourself some cash going that route as apposed to a tko.
Who and where do they do the work? Is it Promotionpowertrain?

What all do I need to beef it up?

·
doing it with a 2v..
2,589 Posts
promotion is the only people i have talked to about them... 1600 if i remember correctly.... thats syncros and input shaft, and sliders, and some other things.. I do not remember.. call and talk to them, they are by far one of the best companies to deal with, and talk to about possible setups.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
promotion is the only people i have talked to about them... 1600 if i remember correctly.... thats syncros and input shaft, and sliders, and some other things.. I do not remember.. call and talk to them, they are by far one of the best companies to deal with, and talk to about possible setups.
last time I talked to them they said 1650 was the price of buying a trans outright. sending yours in to have it re-build will cost 1000-1200. That comes with the upgraded syncros, input shaft and sliders. here is the link http://www.promotionpowertrain.com/1231590.html. The price for a trans outright is 1650 but if you call them they can re-build your trans for at least 600 less. if you factor in shipping your still saving 400. They also are working on a SFI approved bell housing for the 3650.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts