Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help with Exchange 2000 here is the scenerio:

We have a Netscreen 50 firewall with Trust, Untrust and DMZ. In the DMZ we have a Content Filtering server. We just removed our exchange from the DMZ and have lost all use of OWA. How we were able to get it to work in the past was we had our Exchange 2000 on both the Trust and DMZ networks using two nics and VLANing out to an other network (just for all your rookies do not do this ever, we were forced to do this by a boss after we explained the riskes.) Now we are trying to set up a OWA and IMAP4 front end server. I am fully aware that Exchange 2000 Front end is only available for Enterpise edition, however all the documents that I have found about just using OWA and IMAP4 Front end haven't made the distinction whether to use Enterprise or not. Has anyone delt with this? I have no problem putting a front end in to the DMZ as long as there is no information from our Store placed there. Can some one help me on this one?

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
I am pretty sure that Exchange 2000 Standard edition can not be implemented in a front end/ back end configuration.

One suggestion to look into is a reverse Proxy server in the DMZ that caches the Outlook Web Access and IIS information for 'dirty-side' requests. With your existing parameter security configuration, you could make a strong case for a layered or 'three-prong' firewall to support OWA.

Here's some good info for consideration:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...e/exchange2000/maintain/optimize/e2kfront.asp

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q296614&sd=tech

Keep us posted and good luck!

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hammer,

Thnx for the help it works great!!! However we decided to take another route. Looks like we are going to be using Exchange 2003 so we still have all the IMAP4 and OWA access.

Thank you again Hammer I appreciate it. I think I am going to give it a public IP and make a little honey pot out of the proxy server ;) time to have a little fun with hackers.

GasAlley

·
Registered
119 Posts
I assume it is not a problem with blocking/fowarding the OWA ports? The system can see ports 80 and 135?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts