Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all I'm new. Active duty type in Augusta, GA. I have a 71 F-100 302/3-speed that I'll be doing a modular conversion on as soon as I collect up all the parts. Wasn't planning on messing with the drivetrain much until I stumbled on a 98 Mark VIII at the pull-a-part a couple weeks ago. Got the motor, full harness & black boxes for $225.

Here's a rough sketch of my plan:
4.6L 32V
5-sp M5R2 from 4.6L F-150
Aluminum crossmember with motor mounts, Front disc brakes, power rack & pinion, A-arm suspension from Crown Vic
Hydroboost
Rear disc brakes (Explorer)

I haven't seen a lot of pickup conversions on here so I thought I'd share. I'll post up my progress as it goes. Thanks for lookin!

·
Registered
309 Posts
why the aluminum crossmember?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The crossmember fits the factory frame rails and updates the suspension like a mustang II setup and lowers the truck. I don't have one yet but I'm hoping it will also provide factory mounts for the 4.6L. Almost a bolt-in affair using OEM/jUnkyard parts.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What cross member?

I sold a Novi 2000 to a guy here in texas who is looking to do the same swap but with a 4.6 or 5.4 2 valve. What cross member are you using any pictures?

Thanks sounds like a cool build.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I woudnt trust an aluminum x-member myself if the engine rests on it, but I guess I would have to see it first...besides, without a more expensive welder than I have, you cant weld tabs and brackets and what not to it

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thats why I want to see it.

Aluminum if formed correctly can be strong I am just curious as to the set up he is talking about. I would b=prefer a Tubular Chromoly or Mild Steel but i am open to new ideas if they are mechanically safe.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The setup is what comes factory on Crown Victorias and Grand Marquis. Think of it as a very beefy K-member. This swap is very popular on all types of vehicles with the right front frame rail spacing. The only issue I see is the track width is kinda wide when the swap is complete and the front tires look a little too far pushed out, that's just me though. I saw in a truck mag a while back where a guy did this swap and put in a built lightning motor and trans.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts