Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I made the trek down to Montgomery Motorsport Park to put the first 1/4 miles passes on my car.

The only mods on the car were the UPR cold air kit and the Nitto Drag Radials.

The best pass was as follows:
1.98 60ft
[email protected] 1/8th mile
[email protected] 1/4 mile

As you can see from the 60ft, I was still trying to figure out the Nittos.

How do these times compare to others?

·
Banned
572 Posts
i went 12.90 @ 109 w/1.97 60ft on the F'1's
picking up the nitto's this week
better times to come (it takes time)
sd

·
Registered
64 Posts
nice

wow 1.97 on F1s

We should be able to do better than 12.56 then... What do you think 1.80 on Nittos? Is that possible? THen we are looking at 12.46 right? AWEsome.....

My 60' was 1.91 on Nittos

All i have is KN and silencer out and nittos...pro 5.0 shifter too

·
Registered
661 Posts
Not bad Alan, maby slip the clutch a little more and come out harder, Keep practicing, I had to make several runs to get the hang, peace
nitro

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Alan,

I think that you did great for being new to the car. These cars are complicated to drive but it can definately be mastered. My good friend JT is the master of the stock tire launch...he's got a slew of 1.8's on the F1's.

I have done a bunch of 1.90's myself on F1's and my best is a 1.91.

JT lent me his BFG Drag Radials for two passes one evening at Atco and my first pass was a 1.75 short time.

You will get there. 1.70's and even 1.60's are definately within your grasp with the drag radials. But you need lots of seat time.

Like Pete said, you gotta slip the hell out of that clutch. I have found my best results coming out at about 3K with a steady slip.

Rich

·
Registered
87 Posts
HAMMER said:
Like Pete said, you gotta slip the hell out of that clutch. I have found my best results coming out at about 3K with a steady slip.

Rich
Hammer,

How do you keep from smoking the clutch with a slip? I only slipped mine once, and it (plus FW, TOB, et all) was TOASTED.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Yeah, I've seen some guys do that. I know that Joe at Mustang Magic smoked his clutch in one launch. But then I see others (like me and JT) beat the piss out of the clutch and not have a problem.

I did have an early throw-out bearing problem and replaced the clutch but when I pulled the stock one off it looked fine...no hot-spots, no burn.

I think that some have weak clutches...maybe defects. Don't know.

I very carefully find the point of engagement and it takes a very steady foot. Definately lots of practice but when you get it, you can run consistent quick short times. My last 10 times at the track with stock F-1's were all sub 2 second sort times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts