Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just hung up the phone with Pete. I grilled him for details about the first ride with the blower. I got all the details. I am gonna post this because I don't want the typing translation to lose the facts. Hope that this doesn't offend you, Pete. This is the juicy stuff that everyone wants to hear:

Now keep in mind that Pete's car has an automatic. That means that much more power is lost in the drive train. Also keep in mind that the tune Pete threw in the car is like a pencil sketch on a coktail napkin as compared to an architectural blueprint, which would represent a custom and dialed in tune. In other words, Pete burned a chip with HUGE amounts of fuel just to be safe and test the monster.

Lastly, keep in mind that Pete's car, along with the automatic, has ET Streets out back.

He swaps out his 6 lb lower pulley and puts a 2 lb lower on it. Kenne Bell sent him the smallest blower pulley and 4 consecutive larger ones (less boost) but didn't bother sending him the 9 and 11 lb boost pulleys (they know Pete). With the 2 lb lower on, he puts the 3d smallest blower pulley. That is the KB 18 PSI pulley.

He gets in the car with Leo (his shop tech). They hit it in first and it's a joke. Tachs to 6K instantly and blows the tires away instantly (keep in mind...this is an auto tranny). He puts it into second and the same thing happens with a 3 second delay (while RPMs are climbing). So he backs off in second as well.

He puts it in third (equivalent to 4th gear for our T-56 trannys) and hits it. The car comes on steady and hard. As the RPMs pass 3,500, the same thing happens again! From 3,500 to 6K in a flash of a second and the tires smolder!!! He says that he has never blown the tires away in third with the car before...much less nuke them like this!!

Boost level is undetermined as it was pinned above 22 PSI.

During all of this his shop tech, Leo, had spotted his shorts.

I would have expected the car to feel weaker than Pete's previous setup until he got the KB dialed in. And I actually found it hard to believe that it was pulling harder just thrown together like that. But, alas, it is FAR MORE than ever before already...according to Pete.

And he's looking for 28-30 PSI out of the unit. Considering what he did with the stock Eaton...I bet he'll do it.

Man, this is a REAL science project. Will the engine split in half under 30 PSI? It CAN'T HANDLE THAT MUCH POWER!! It's gotta grenade, right? Any bets?

Anyway, that is my best translation of Pete's first impression of the KB with a rough setup.

If I was ever anxious to get my unit, I AM REALLY CHOMPING AT THE BIT NOW!!!

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
If I ever see Pete and his 03 at the track, I will be sure to park my car back in the pits and proceed to the grandstands.:D Very nice writeup bro.

Razor.

·
Registered
510 Posts
[Dr. Evil]"Hubbbwaaaahhhh!?!?!?"[/Dr. Evil] Holy jeez!!!

<----- Gonna call pops tomorrow and ask for an '03 as an early B-Day present and sell my car for the KB blower!!!!! :jawdrop

·
Registered
29 Posts
Call me ignorant but arent all 03 Cobra's manual transmissions ? Did you install a aftermarket automatic tranny pete ? If so, why ?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Man hammer you had me smiling that whole time i was reading your post. Great job on the write up. Now you have me even more excited to get this KB blower. It's gonna be amazing to see how much boost pete can get out of that KB blower. The KB blower w/ out a doubt is going to make these 03's even more of a beast then they are now. i have nothing else to say but,.,.
:jawdrop

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well I guess the real question is. Who will be the first to make a 9 second pass? The odds are looking in Pete's favor. Good luck with the KB blower Pete.. Looks Killer.

G

·
dspiel said:
Call me ignorant but arent all 03 Cobra's manual transmissions ? Did you install a aftermarket automatic tranny pete ? If so, why ?
NO... Petes has the optional automatic and so does mine...I think Hammer and JT have that automatic option too....What your dealer didnt tell you it was an option? :D

Congrats Pete on a job well done!!!!

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hammer time , Thanks I couldent of said it better, You know that ! :)
Only 1 thing I thought it was 18lbs or so , It was 14lbs
thats Y my tune was on the money. well 11.2 a/f , I like it to be 12.5 with the fuel i run 114, oct.
I am installing the 20lb puilley Now ,, I come to 1 comclusion this is the most awsome car, for bolt ons I ever drove ! ! !
keep in mind I have gone 8.64 et, @ 160mph , in a 3680lb car
that is not that impressive now but it was back then 1995
more pict. to come nitrous pete

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Pete. OK, I stand corrected: it wasn't the 18 lb pulley on the car..it was the 14 lb pulley.

In that case, maybe my street tune with the KB will include the 9 lb pulley.

:shocked

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:
NO... Petes has the optional automatic and so does mine...I think Hammer and JT have that automatic option too....What your dealer didnt tell you it was an option? :D

Congrats Pete on a job well done!!!!

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
:shocked

This is the 1st I have heard of this ..... You guys are really running an automatic transmission with a stall?

Can you elaborate a little more Harry ... links .... info ???

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Harry is teasing you, T3. There is no automatic option for our cars but Pete did put in an aftermarket C4 automatic.

When it comes to BIG power, many racers go to an automatic for various reasons. One reason is because there is no recovery period between shifts. With an automatic, you stay in boost. Another is costs. Automatics can handle much more abuse without breaking and you don't have to replace clutches all the time.

For guys like Pete, it's a good idea because he's gettin too old to bang gears. Automatics also, with properly matched converters, come out real hard and launch very consistently.

The main downside is that you lose substantially more power through the drivetrain to the rear wheels. But when you get to a point that you have power to spare and hooking is a much bigger problem than is power, automatics become a viable option.

Pete is DEFINATELY at that point.

·
Registered
24 Posts
HAMMER said:
Harry is teasing you, T3. There is no automatic option for our cars but Pete did put in an aftermarket C4 automatic.

When it comes to BIG power, many racers go to an automatic for various reasons. One reason is because there is no recovery period between shifts. With an automatic, you stay in boost. Another is costs. Automatics can handle much more abuse without breaking and you don't have to replace clutches all the time.

For guys like Pete, it's a good idea because he's gettin too old to bang gears. Automatics also, with properly matched converters, come out real hard and launch very consistently.

The main downside is that you lose substantially more power through the drivetrain to the rear wheels. But when you get to a point that you have power to spare and hooking is a much bigger problem than is power, automatics become a viable option.

Pete is DEFINATELY at that point.
Thanks Hammer - I knew there was not a factory option but I did not know that some others have switched to automatics. I guess that is why in some of these videos the cars shift so fast they have to be automatics. I would like to look into this, I can really see the advantage. Any info out there?

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No problem, T3. I don't really know anyone who is running an automatic in an 03 but Pete...but I'm sure there are others.

As far as fast shifting, you'd be surprised what can be done with some practice flat shifting. Anyway, there are lots of aftermarket automatics out there. I have used these guys and like them a lot. They got really heavy-duty stuff and thier customer service is very good as well. They're a good choice for street rides and to keep them as stock as possible without fabrications, etc.

http://www.lentechautomatics.com/

·
Registered
661 Posts
Hammer , I just road tested 2nd time today , 25lbs , All I can say is , I'm having a cigeret, :shocked a/f 11.6 @ 6000
DAM, Jim u are DA MAN !

·
Registered
28 Posts
nitrous pete said:
Hammer , I just road tested 2nd time today , 25lbs , All I can say is , I'm having a cigeret, :shocked a/f 11.6 @ 6000
DAM, Jim u are DA MAN !
25# ? Holy crap!

Just tell me if you can roast the tires at 80 MPH or not... that's all I need to know. :D No need for any RWHP numbers.... Just a "YES" I can roast them at 80 MPH or "NO" I can't... Make it plain and simple for us..... :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Xplicit said:
I don't know why they never gave u the blower originally. I'm voicing my HUMBLE opinion..they made a mistake giving it to Randy. I'll delete this post anyone is uncomfortable with it..but i won't change my opinion. Peace. Franco.
I'm with you on that... No hard feelings randy.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts