Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Sunday I'll be at the track for the first time with my new cobra. She will be stock except for a shifter if it gets here in time. Any advise? I could use some, I only have 9 passes under my belt and they were with my 03 gt. Any help would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
The best advice I can give you is go out there and have fun! That is what it is really all about. Now to get good ET's. It is really all about the 60FT and not missing gears in these cars if you ask me. Power shifting will also drop your ET quite a bit. The best thing to do, since it will be you first time with the 03 is just get comfortable with the car, get a good feel for it. Don't go right out there dumping the clutch either. You need to feel out the track and track prep(if there is any). The first time I went, I tried getting as many runs in as possible just so I could try to get you to the car. My time improved with each run. I started out at a 13.7! Then I had two 12.7's and by the end of the day I got a 12.50. 2nd time out with more mods the car just could grip the track and I was only able to get a 12.40. So now I have more power and a set of drag radials. But a leg injury has prevented track action for the last month and a half. Let it be known this is my first fast car with a stick. My Ranger is the other. So I am not the greatest driver. But I am learning and having fun while I learn. To me going out there and meeting a bunch of great guys and having a blast is what it is all about. But that is just my $.02 -Mat-

·
Banned
1,265 Posts
I second what Mat said go out and have some fun...Leave the line around 2k with the f1's and shift at 6,200 rpm's.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh I'll have a blast, I did the other 2 times I went. I was just wondering if I should lower my tire pressure or just keep it at stock. I would like to power shift but I would rather wait until I'm more comfortable with the car. I was under the impression the best way to save your POS irs was to let off the gas for every shift especially the 1-2. Im going to take the spare tire stuff out of the trunk and maybe even the back seat but not sure yet.

SVT F150 whats your mods on your o3 cobra?

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Mike,,My advice is that you go easy..Not Easy to do but it works with these cars(VERY Torquey)...
Don't leave hard..Ease it out and lay into it..Don't mash it down right away.
Let the car take you up the track,,After a Few passes you will have better feel..
First time with my 03 Cobra,I got better numbers going easy.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Mustang Mike said:
SVT F150 whats your mods on your o3 cobra?
Too many.

All tuned by JDM Via Superchip
2.93 upper 6LB lower
Kooks long tubes, Catted H-pipe, Magnaflow catback
JDM/Fluidyne Heat Exchanger
JLP Ram Air
Metco Lower Idlers
Pro 5.0 Shifter
HBH No-hop shocks
315/35-17 Nitto 555R's

I am seeing boost drop off up top, so I want to do a Reichard Non Slip upper and the Metco Aux Idler.
Then I want to do the Accufab TB and Plenum.
With those I hope to come very close to if not hit 500RWHP. Yay!
-Mat-

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
Mike,,My advice is that you go easy..Not Easy to do but it works with these cars(VERY Torquey)...
Don't leave hard..Ease it out and lay into it..Don't mash it down right away.
Let the car take you up the track,,After a Few passes you will have better feel..
First time with my 03 Cobra,I got better numbers going easy.
Great advice Jim. Ive only got 19 passes under my belt and a lot of mods so finding that smooth launch is even more important. I just get so excited, its hard to ease into the pedel :)

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
SVT 150, don't plan to loose the drop off!! I've been fighting it for awhile now. I have the same setup, sfphq 2.93 non-slip upper and a 6 lb lower including the 100mm idler/bracket. Boost still peaks 15-16 and then drops to 12 or so. No way to prevent it!!! My last hope is that a heat exchanger will help!!

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for all the great advice! The one thing I've noticed about the car is it seem to get up their a lot easier and smoother when you go easy out of the hole. I havent done no hole drops or anything like that but I noticed once you get it rolling you can then put down the pedal pretty hard and without traction loss im flying!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts