Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eh. Track prep was non existant. For those of you close to GLD, you know how it can be on a weekday.
I decided to run the car exactly as it sat.
Left tire pressure at 32lbs, jack/spare in trunk and a 1/2 tank.

With track conditions as crappy as they were I went:

60' : 2.20 (ugh!)
1/8 : 9.20
MPH: 78.28
1/4: 14.197
MPH: 98.41

Backed it up with:

60' : 2.16
1/8 : 9.20
MPH: 78.12
1/4 : 14.196
MPH: 98.37

All in all, I'm not really all too impressed. I really would have liked to have gone 13.9, but with sub par track conditions, I knew that wouldn't happen...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Kind of suprising about the track ... I was there last Tuesday and couldn't even turn my hoosiers.

Do you plan on running there often?

You should check out www.cponygo.com , we ocassionally have group events there with an EXCELLENT rate. We could always use another mod member (I am the mod forum moderator there).

You should be able to run in the 13's with that mph, maybe just a little more practice?

·
Registered
138 Posts
what kind of hoosier's do you have? I am looking for something to help my traction also I went 14.2 with a 95 and 997 MPH witha 2.18 60

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am running the Hoosier Quick Time Pro's - their version of the ET streets

·
Registered
244 Posts
Your looking for traction with stock tires and stock psi? I think those 60's are pretty decent for that. The temp prolly didnt help either since it dropped like a rock last nite.

Go on RSD nights lots of vht :D Its early in the season, GLD will get better in a couple of weeks. trust me I broke my diff on that track, it hooks better now with the new surface from last year.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Who's up for next Wed (a week from today) at the grove?

Come on Doug, need to get some practice in before the challenge!:cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Holes02 said:
Eh. Track prep was non existant. For those of you close to GLD, you know how it can be on a weekday.
I decided to run the car exactly as it sat.
Left tire pressure at 32lbs, jack/spare in trunk and a 1/2 tank.

With track conditions as crappy as they were I went:

All in all, I'm not really all too impressed. I really would have liked to have gone 13.9, but with sub par track conditions, I knew that wouldn't happen...
I have a similiar setup on my GT, and am NOT impressed either. Then again, I am coming from a low 12-sec Lightning (I inherited the GT from my wife). I am looking for a 01-02 Z06 now, I am not sure if I am willing to invest more $$ and time into a mod motor car that I have already dropped $1400 in, not even to break into the 13's...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vrt: I was going to wait till May 15th to run, but chances are, I'll be setting up races with another car all night. Besides, a buddy of mine going to school in Milwaukee (LT1 owner) was talking shit and wanted to go yesterday. We lined up and I spanked him twice! Even with his Borla, 3000stall Converter and MAF ends (although, in his defense I think the converter HURTS him more then helps on a street tire).

I just have a question for some of you guys that are more familiar with the Mod Motor cars then I about the trap speed. What do these cars typically trap at stock?

I'll have to check out 'CPonyGo'. I actually saw that printed up on my timeslips and was curious what it was about....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Devil: What do you have done to your GT? Is it auto or 5 speed?
I've got maybe $300 into my GT. I wasn't anticipating any STELLAR times, but certainly, with over $1000 in mods you should be WELL into the 13's (assumin' you can drive that sucker) ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Holes02 said:
Devil: What do you have done to your GT? Is it auto or 5 speed?
I've got maybe $300 into my GT. I wasn't anticipating any STELLAR times, but certainly, with over $1000 in mods you should be WELL into the 13's (assumin' you can drive that sucker) ;)
oh, I can drive it, but even still, its SLOW, even with a 5-spd. I put the bassani exhaust on it (catback and h-pipe), and I still get my butt-kicked but Volvo 60's no less (literallly the other day). IT IS NOT THE DRIVER LOL. To put gears in it would help, but the Stang , especially overall, isn't as refined as a vette. Then again, its also 1/2 the price.

I just wish FoMoCo would build a GT with attitude, rather than give us 260hp, 3600lb car (that, consequently, weighs as much and only has 5 hp less than my wifes Maxima). I like the comfort level alright, but power is severely lacking..I have contemplated stg II heads and cams, but I do not know if the overall affect will STILL put me up to vette level.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From my experience, Mod Motor cars don't respond as well to head porting and/or cams as say an LS1 or LT1. They love forced induction however.
Obviously the fit and finish of a Mustang GT isn't going to be at the same standards as a Vette, but do you expect it to be? I think the fit and finish is better however then an F-Body.
I have driven a '02 ZO6, and they're very quick as well as refined, but they're just SLIGHTLY more expensive then a GT ;)

If you're dissapointed with your GT, try something different.
Obviously not EVERYONE is going to LOVE their Mustang...
If its a ZO6 you want, go for it. Their great cars and their motors respond well to modification. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Holes02 said:
From my experience, Mod Motor cars don't respond as well to head porting and/or cams as say an LS1 or LT1. They love forced induction however.
Come over I will give you a ride in mine. Its a little hard to make up the huge displacement difference your talking about. 60+ cubes is ALOT. Cammed LS1's can run 11.50's, there is only 1 2v that I know that is even close to that N/A and its big cubes/stroked prolly like 330 ci. Gotta look at the HP per CI that these little 2v are putting out, quite amazing.

My GT trapped 14.2 the 1st year with a 3.73 gear and catback only. The mph was around 98 if I remember, that was at GLD also.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I previously owned a 99 GT. And with a Flowmaster catback, and 3.73 gears, on bald street tires; it went 14.12 @ 101 w/ a 2.4 60 ft.... No doubt there was still a lot left in the car, but that was my first outting with it at the track, and my only since I traded it for the 96 Cobra only two months after having it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
vrtical said:
Come over I will give you a ride in mine. Its a little hard to make up the huge displacement difference your talking about. 60+ cubes is ALOT. Cammed LS1's can run 11.50's, there is only 1 2v that I know that is even close to that N/A and its big cubes/stroked prolly like 330 ci. Gotta look at the HP per CI that these little 2v are putting out, quite amazing.

My GT trapped 14.2 the 1st year with a 3.73 gear and catback only. The mph was around 98 if I remember, that was at GLD also.
The hp per Ci is what I am talking about, good point V.

281 ci with 260hp vs 346ci and 350hp. The ratio is definitely Chevy. I have been a Ford fan since I was a kid (over 20 yrs ago), and my dad thought I was nuts. That being said, you gotta love the LS1, even if you waive the Ford flag. The motor can handle almost 550-600hp for goodness sakes. The fit and finish is better than that of a Camaro, but comparing it to a Vette, thats a hard one. The price is 1/2 as much as I said before, but I have seen many GT's that put blowers, gears, etc on their cars and mid 12's is the result. 12's? It has been documented some Z28's ran mid-upper 12's off the showroom floor (MM&FF did the camparison about one year ago).

My goal is not to flame Ford or the Stang, I would like to see Mustangs better though, without having to add 150 shot just to keep up with a Camaro and not be embarrased. We've had ours in the shop two times in the first 8k miles for defects. I am a minority though, and as long as 50+ yr old secretaries buy them and are satisfied, unlike us, then we have an issue.:blob

·
Registered
20 Posts
think of it this way the vette(zo6) has more power and handles better but if you take the 25k+ that the vette cost over the stang and put it in to the stang you would have a monster the a zo6 or viper would turn and run from

·
Registered
22 Posts
nightstang said:
think of it this way the vette(zo6) has more power and handles better but if you take the 25k+ that the vette cost over the stang and put it in to the stang you would have a monster the a zo6 or viper would turn and run from
Agreed...

But then you also void the warranty. What I am talking about is a Mustang GT with cojones, direct from FoMoCo, that is from the factory that can keep up with a LS1-powered car. Now, I must admit, I probably would mod it SOME, but if I could get a truly high hp GT (350+), it might be limited to gears and K&N. I know this will never happen, and the only way to get there at this point is a Cobra (but from what I hear you still have to mod it to keep up a ZO6 Vette since it weighs 3800lbs w/o driver).

I am glad about this board and thread, we can have a civil conversation and discussion. I am glad I joined...

·
Registered
20 Posts
devildog92 said:
Agreed...

But then you also void the warranty. What I am talking about is a Mustang GT with cojones, direct from FoMoCo, that is from the factory that can keep up with a LS1-powered car. Now, I must admit, I probably would mod it SOME, but if I could get a truly high hp GT (350+), it might be limited to gears and K&N. I know this will never happen, and the only way to get there at this point is a Cobra (but from what I hear you still have to mod it to keep up a ZO6 Vette since it weighs 3800lbs w/o driver).

I am glad about this board and thread, we can have a civil conversation and discussion. I am glad I joined...
I see your point
but at the same time racing your car at the track also voids the warranty. I found that one day when I was bored so I sat down a read it. but again they would have to prove that it was from racing

·
Registered
22 Posts
LOL

nightstang said:
I see your point
but at the same time racing your car at the track also voids the warranty. I found that one day when I was bored so I sat down a read it. but again they would have to prove that it was from racing
No doubt Ford could have done better in the power department, but as someone who has had MANY fox bodies, I must stay it is the strongest mustang yet for structural rigidity. Ya think a WS6 T/A would laugh at me much if I told him "well, my car is tighter than yours"? LOL.

He'd laugh not at the comment, but maybe the car, that is, if he could hear me say that from that far in back of him. :)

Gosh, what to do. Obese Cobra, Slow GT, "plastic-enhanced" f-body, or expensive Vette. Maybe I'll go get me another Lightning. I had an 02 that ran low 12's, that is, before my wife needed a family car and I inherited her lump of coal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would go with the cobra
the bottom end has been proven to be able to handle a 700+ hp
and could drop some weight by dropping the irs for a solid axle and then sell the irs to make up some of the money

but then again the zo6 is also a bad as ride

1 - 20 of 20 Posts