Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One of the first mods I'm going to do for my '03 is add the KB Blower kit.

I've got a good tuner who does a lot of custom blower installs for BMWs. He's got a dyno and has a lot of experience with chip tuning software (including OBDII). Unfortunately, he doesn't have a way to handle Ford chip programming and we want to be able to tune the car 'live' as it should be done. Now before you say go to a Ford guy I can assure you none of them in my area have the right gear either.

I don't want to try chip tuning by mail either. It may work alright on my Lightning with stock blower and a few bolt-ons, but I don't want to go down that road with the '03 KB especially as I want to run an agressive high boost set-up with long tubes etc.

What are the best alternatives out there: is the likes of the AFterburner-eFPC too limited in parameters for example? Am I better off plonking down the $$ for a complete ECU ala the unit made by F.A.S.T. or possibly someone elses. Not that I want to end up with a full MOTEC ECU though, that's almost as much as the KB costs itself!

Hope one of you gurus can help here.

Thanks,

Oz

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
On the bad side my understanding of the 2003 EEC's is that they are far more complex that previous years. On a good note however I have heard the 3 cobra EEC's are very similar and that all will work on the same car, they are just slight improvements as production of the car commenced. With that in mind I think that mail order tuning with these cars will likely be a bit more forgiving than many of the other models out there...hehe, at least im hoping because like you I dont have any competent ford tuners in my area :(

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
where do you live? I wouldn't recommend replacing the whole engine managment system. The EEC is completley capable, but you will probably have to go to someone that already knows ford tuning. It's not somthing you can just pick up unfortunatly.

Brian

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
bjherron said:
where do you live? I wouldn't recommend replacing the whole engine managment system. The EEC is completley capable, but you will probably have to go to someone that already knows ford tuning. It's not somthing you can just pick up unfortunatly.

Brian
I live in minnesota. Im not recomending replacing the EEC at all simply stating that (from what I have heard) all the parameters are in the same spot (ie they are the same just slightly different tunes).

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I meant that to the original poster when he suggested an aftermarket setup.

Mail order tuning is pretty forgiving. When you get the chip, head straight to the dyno. Then you can send those results back to the tuner and have him make adjustment. A good tuner should be able to get air/fuel reasonably close within 1-2 dyno trips. You can always do a better job when the tuner is at the dyno with you though.

I may know someone travelling to Minnesota to tune within the next few months.

Brian

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
bjherron said:
I meant that to the original poster when he suggested an aftermarket setup.

Mail order tuning is pretty forgiving. When you get the chip, head straight to the dyno. Then you can send those results back to the tuner and have him make adjustment. A good tuner should be able to get air/fuel reasonably close within 1-2 dyno trips. You can always do a better job when the tuner is at the dyno with you though.

I may know someone travelling to Minnesota to tune within the next few months.

Brian
Whoops, my bad :). I havent had real good luck with mail order tunes. Im running a tune in my truck for the last 4 months that is sub par (ie running so rich its throwing codes) but instead of wasting money on dyno (and truck wont run without a chip due to mods) I decided to wait until they rolled through town the 24-25th of this month. I had 2 slots booked, one for my truck and one for my cobra but I wont have my cobra ready by then. If you know of someone coming through town who has a lot of cobra experience, let me know.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Oz , good luck with the kb. I do have programs for the blower , that I know will work. I have over 130 files for thr 03 cobrsa.
You should get a Diablo , or auto logic , if you want a fast call me . nitro

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I definitely would like to deal with you Pete. Saw the MM&FF article with your car vs JDM pre KB install, great stuff.

What I'd like to do to eliminate any communications problems is get you on the phone with my guy as well as sending through dyno results via email or fax. I'd say having a Diablo chip in my truck done by JL , I'd do a Diablo for the cobra as well. What I'd like like to do for the extra cost is have a spare chip on hand as it can take more than week to turn around chips in the mail. I don't want to take the chip out have my car stranded in the shop while we're waiting for the chip to come back.

Pete, I'll drop you a line direct.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
OzSVT said:
One of the first mods I'm going to do for my '03 is add the KB Blower kit.

I've got a good tuner who does a lot of custom blower installs for BMWs. He's got a dyno and has a lot of experience with chip tuning software (including OBDII). Unfortunately, he doesn't have a way to handle Ford chip programming and we want to be able to tune the car 'live' as it should be done. Now before you say go to a Ford guy I can assure you none of them in my area have the right gear either.

I don't want to try chip tuning by mail either. It may work alright on my Lightning with stock blower and a few bolt-ons, but I don't want to go down that road with the '03 KB especially as I want to run an agressive high boost set-up with long tubes etc.

What are the best alternatives out there: is the likes of the AFterburner-eFPC too limited in parameters for example? Am I better off plonking down the $$ for a complete ECU ala the unit made by F.A.S.T. or possibly someone elses. Not that I want to end up with a full MOTEC ECU though, that's almost as much as the KB costs itself!

Hope one of you gurus can help here.

Thanks,

Oz
What did you end up doing?

I'm looking at going w/ Microtech EMS...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't even ordered my KB yet, been holding back till about now. Confident I can achieve what I need via chip tuning with a local tuner who will be working in conjunction with a major tuner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts