Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you using the 555R II's or 555R's?

Are you using the stock width or going wider?

How wide can the stock rim take to be safe?

Thanks...

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
matstang03 said:
i am running the same exact set up as hotrodharry. The Nitto's fit perfect on the rim and worl great.

matt
Ditto. Except replace worl with work. :lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Also running the 315/35R-17 NT555R but I'm using the AFS 10.5" replica wheels in back.

G

·
FlashSVT said:
Also running the 315/35R-17 NT555R but I'm using the AFS 10.5" replica wheels in back.
That is the best way to go if you can.....the tread pattern is on the ground more with 30 lbs of air in the tire. Very impressive looking.

With the stock rim the tread is not quite on the ground on the outsides with 30 lbs. But the way I run them with 18 lbs in them...the tread is on the ground for the quick launches. Works awesome!

Harry

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:
That is the best way to go if you can.....the tread pattern is on the ground more with 30 lbs of air in the tire. Very impressive looking.

With the stock rim the tread is not quite on the ground on the outsides with 30 lbs. But the way I run them with 18 lbs in them...the tread is on the ground for the quick launches. Works awesome!

Harry
I am running with 25 psi and have treadwear evenly across the tire on the stock rim.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone know the difference between the 555R and 555R II - i saw that the II only comes in our stock tire size... anyone know why?

thanks for all the input...

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:

Harry
I have the 315 nitto's on the AFS 10.5 wheel and it's actually NOT the way to go. The 10.5 is a bit too wide for these tires and it's streched onto the wheel. I have to run my tires at 20psi for daily use to get the best contact patch and to have the entire tread pattern on the ground. If I even try to run them at 30psi they are as worthless as the tires from the factory. Stick with the 17x9's by all means. I will be going with BFG's next time around for the incresed width. I also hear rumors that they are coming out with a more road worthy tread pattern as well.;)

Razor.

G

·
Glad I made the right choice then to stay with the stock rims with the 315 Nitto's. But I bet with the 10.5 and the BFG 315 DR that might be another story then. I like the way the Nittos did look on the wider rim. Thanks for that info.

The 555RII is for road racing...it has the same tread pattern and soft compound like the Drag Radial...but it has a stiffer sidewall for cornering(lateral forces). A very rough riding tire.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Hot Rod Harry said:
Glad I made the right choice then to stay with the stock rims with the 315 Nitto's. But I bet with the 10.5 and the BFG 315 DR that might be another story then. I like the way the Nittos did look on the wider rim. Thanks for that info.

The 555RII is for road racing...it has the same tread pattern and soft compound like the Drag Radial...but it has a stiffer sidewall for cornering(lateral forces). A very rough riding tire.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
Hey no problem Harry.:D I'm waiting to see what BFG does with this supposed tread pattern re-design. If it looks good then my slightly used nitto's will be in the for sale section.

Razor.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the 315 nitto's on the AFS 10.5 wheel and it's actually NOT the way to go.
Why would Nitto recommend a 10.5" wheel then?

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
FlashSVT said:
Maybe because they are a little optimistic about the size of there 315 tires. A real 315 ie Michelin or BFG require a 10.5", but the nittos are substantially smaller.

·
Registered
53 Posts
315/35R-17 Nitto Marker on the AFS 10.5 Rears (26 psi)

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Stock Tire Marker on stock wheels (32 psi)

Attachments

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
FlashSVT said:
Nitto is basically marketing their tire as bieng huge, hence the 10.5" wheel recommendation. They are kinda like that guy who always talks about having a big peter.:D

Razor.

·
Registered
482 Posts
That cannot be farther from the truth...

A 315 tire should never be put on a 9" rim....it is not safe. While it might be ok for drag racing since there isn't much side load or deflection, A) you will not get the entire contact patch as you would with a 10.5 or 11" rim and B) if you take a turn at speed there is a chance that the tire and rim will separate.

This isn't marketing, it's fact.

The 555R is a drag radial; the 555RII is a road race tire (albeit still a sticky tire).

Plenty of people do put a 315 on a 9" rim, however one day, someone will be the unlucky person who will find out that it should not be done and I'd hate to see someone wreck a perfectly good car.

The general rule of thumb is you do not want the section width to be more than 1"(1.5" max) larger than that of the rim. A 315 DR has a section width of 12.3". On a 9" rim, you are more than doubling the recommended use.

Not flaming, but it really is not safe for high speed street handling.

·
Registered
122 Posts
:eek: I jus ordered 315s and have nine inch rims.. I'm scared.. This kinda shit happens to me all the time too.. Thanks for the heads up man. I'm going to get some 10.5 inch rims when I get enough money.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts