Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who build ford 9inch for the 03 mustangs? I found that currie has the housing for 590.00 i figured about 1100.00 to do a 9 inch and it will prolly be just as high to build the 8.8... any info

· Registered
492 Posts
I have a moser 9 in' in my car.

· Registered
492 Posts
And it will cost more than $1100 to build the 9 in". And Im sure it will cost more than $1100 to build the 8.8 as well. What happened with yours?

· Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ive been running the stock rear end nothing. Im hitting the strip up next year so i need a rear end under it!! i figured if i went with the 8.8 im going with a eaton 31 spline axles but then i would need to do some bracing to the rear and as well. but i think i added up one day it was under 1100.00 to build my current 8.8... so if i was to buy the bracing needed for the 8.8 id say i would have around 2000.00 in my 8.8 . You got any pics of the moser unit u installed?

· Registered
492 Posts
Ive been running the stock rear end nothing. Im hitting the strip up next year so i need a rear end under it!! i figured if i went with the 8.8 im going with a eaton 31 spline axles but then i would need to do some bracing to the rear and as well. but i think i added up one day it was under 1100.00 to build my current 8.8... so if i was to buy the bracing needed for the 8.8 id say i would have around 2000.00 in my 8.8 . You got any pics of the moser unit u installed?
Ill see if I can find any on my compy since my phone constantly effs up.

· Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i know a lot of people will buy CHE stuff to brace the tubes on the 8.8 but i might just weld up something to stiff up the tubes and weld the tubes as well. Ive got all the rear end stuff on the car already MM panhard ,mm LCA, BMR uppers. I know i can get the strange 31 spline alloy axles and c clip elim for a little under 500 and i would prolly put a eaton diff in it. But some say even a built 8.8 wont last and then there is that ive heard that when you put c clip elims on 8.8 they will leak. so im doing a little search both ways im pretty sure if i go 9 inch i will never need another rear end!

· Registered
492 Posts
no you wont need another if you go the 9" route. I just went ahead and did the detroit locker with 35 splines in mine!

· Registered
492 Posts
Ok, remind me in a couple days via pm since I am having issues for some reason on uploading photo's.

· Registered
771 Posts
If you do a 9 inch, be very careful which housing you choose. You actually have to cut into the housing for the upper control arm mounts to maintain correct suspension geometry. I have installed a moser M9 housing into a 2001 Cobra, and although it was a nice piece it did not have the correct suspension geometry. This is especially true on the housings that have the large fabricated centers.

· Registered
829 Posts
I have a Strange Engineering 9" in my car. Strange Engineering

If you do a 9 inch, be very careful which housing you choose. You actually have to cut into the housing for the upper control arm mounts to maintain correct suspension geometry. I have installed a moser M9 housing into a 2001 Cobra, and although it was a nice piece it did not have the correct suspension geometry. This is especially true on the housings that have the large fabricated centers.
The Strange housing has the notches for the upper ears. Here's my setup. You can see where the mounting ears for the UPR upper control arms are notched into the housing.

· Registered
492 Posts
Ok these are about the best pics I have of mine atm. I took these after I dropped it and painted it while I was putting my new exhaust on! But I like it a lot.

Attachments

· Registered
492 Posts
It does give a really good shot of the new exhaust though!

· Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sharad and crazy stang did u half to do any modifying to get the uppers to work? or was it good to go? also if u do not care of me asking how much was the moser and the strange setups with the gears the whole nine yards?

· Registered
492 Posts
my whole setup with 3.70's, detroit locker, and 35 splines was around $2500-$2700. cant remember exactly. As far as the uppers are concerned I had mine installed before I knew how to do drivetrain setups and they had make the mounting brackets for the install.

· Registered
492 Posts
And as far as a power loss to the wheels from the 9" I think its minimal because I can still spin street tires half way through second gear with no problem.

· Registered
771 Posts
You can get ABS to work in a 9 inch with the right axles and such. The absolute best part of a 9inch is the ability to have another pumpkin set up so that you can swap gears in less than an hour. This is great for dual purpose vehicles, or even a car that will see open track and dragstrip duty. One of my cars has a 9inch and I have 3 pumpkins with 3 different gears, it's very convenient.

· Registered
829 Posts
sharad and crazy stang did u half to do any modifying to get the uppers to work? or was it good to go? also if u do not care of me asking how much was the moser and the strange setups with the gears the whole nine yards?
My Strange 9" was a direct bolt-in with the UPR suspension, but keep in mind that we make upper control arms and spherical bearings that are specific to either the 8.8" or the 9".

Since I saw your other thread talking about X275, I'll assume that you'll need a setup like my 40-spline rear. It runs about $3k. Strange Engineering

And as far as a power loss to the wheels from the 9" I think its minimal because I can still spin street tires half way through second gear with no problem.
I think that's an old generalization. The 9" in my car does not even remotely resemble an OEM 9". I know its bearings are nothing like the OEM bearings. It seems to spin fairly freely, however, I would have chosen this rear even if it used a few more hp. By the time you brace & reinforce an 8.8 enough to live in an application like mine, you have as much money and more work in it that you would have in a Strange 9. I watched Chris Tuten run 7.20 @ 200+ on an 8.8... but it was also leaking oil at the center section. No bueno.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.