Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just ran across your site and I need some help with my wife’s 98 Town Car. I normally hang around the Dieselstop.com site. The car pinged under light acceleration so I looked for some help on the net and found a TSB that re-flashed the PCM to correct the pinging under light acceleration conditions.

The car had good power and did not ping under any other conditions including wide open. It took the car in and had it flashed with the TSB. Now this thing is a dog and to make matters worse the pinging is still there. :mad: :mad:

I went back to the dealer and was told that the old program is gone and there was nothing they could do. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to fix the pinging and get the power back. I was thinking about getting a newer PCM out of the junk yard hoping the program from a 99 or 00 would have good power and not ping.

Thanks for the help,

Mad Max

·
Registered
492 Posts
The ping may be due to several things, but I think the ECM may have alot to do with your particular case. When I was getting my car dyno tuned, the tuner was able to get close to 10 more hp out of it by advancing the timing and changing fuel/air ratios. However, he had to throttle it back some because on the dyno run, it was pinging. My suggestion to you is to maybe try a performance chip and have a shop tune it on a dyno. For 1, you will see what kind of power you are really producing. 2, the tuner will be able to see what your computer is doing in the way of fuel and air ratio's. 3, he may be able to make some adjustments that will get your hp above what it was, and get rid of your ping at the same time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I had the car flashed I changed the CPS, fuel filter, and plugs. I also installed a K&N air filter. I have also tried premium fuel with no help.

What is the cost of a chip and having it tuned for my car? Can anyone recommend a place in Phx to have this done.

Thanks,

Mad Max

·
Registered
44 Posts
Check the cleanliness of the MAF's sensor wires.You stated that you installed a K&N filter..I've seen alot of cars that have filthy sensor wires not long after installing a K&N from the excessive oil coating that they ship with.
JL

1 - 4 of 4 Posts