Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys COBRAJIM9999 posted this over on svtperformance.com . I just thought some of you that don't go to that site might want to see it.

Printable View (7 KB)
Article No.
03-11-4 ENGINE - MUSTANG COBRA - TICK NOISE FROM ENGINE - COBRA VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH ENGINES BUILT BEFORE 11/1/2002 ONLY

Publication Date: May 23, 2003

FORD: 2003 MUSTANG

ISSUE:
Some 2003 Mustang Cobra vehicles with engines built before 11/1/2002 may exhibit an unusual engine tick noise that is present at all temperatures during idle. This noise may be due to valve guide wear in the left bank cylinder head. Guide wear manifests itself as a tick noise which can be heard at the rear of LH head, through LH catalyst, at the LH front wheel well and may not be heard with the hood open.

ACTION:
Use the diagnostic procedures listed in this article to evaluate the vehicle condition and replace the cylinder head if applicable. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
NOTE: THIS REPLACEMENT CYLINDER HEAD WILL NOT IMPROVE OR REDUCE PERFORMANCE.

In order to diagnose noise, the following items must be checked.

Verify noise by placing a stethoscope on the back of the left head near the exhaust ports.
Verify that the noise is heard in the left side exhaust system (left side wheel well or catalytic converter, from underneath the vehicle).
Try to isolate the noise by canceling the cylinders, by unplugging the injectors one at a time (start with #8 cylinder).
Verify that there are no exhaust manifold leaks.
Check to make sure that the camshaft spacers are in place. If not, install cam spacers (per Workshop Manual Section 303-01C) and retest vehicle.
Check for proper cam sprocket bolt torque, retorque to spec listed in the Workshop Manual Section 303-01C.
Check for spongy lash adjusters (refer to Section 303-00 in the corresponding Workshop Manual).
Verify that the timing chain tensioner pin has been removed.
If the above diagnostics does not eliminate the noise while the cylinders are cancelled, and the engine was built prior to 11/1/2002, replace the left side cylinder head and cam assembly with Part Number 3R2Z-6049-GA. Refer to Workshop Manual Section 303-01C for cylinder head replacement procedures.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
3R2Z-6049-GA Cylinder Head And Cam Assembly - Left - Cobra Only

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
INFORMATION ONLY

:D It's about time they did this.:D

·
Registered
94 Posts
This thread should be a sticky. It's only THE most important TSB to come out for our cars.

Thank you so very much for posting this. I've been praying Ford would "pony" up on this ticking noise.

Maybe they'll work on the tranny problem next. :)

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
slythetove said:
This thread should be a sticky. It's only THE most important TSB to come out for our cars.

Thank you so very much for posting this. I've been praying Ford would "pony" up on this ticking noise.

Maybe they'll work on the tranny problem next. :)
You're right, man. Done

·
Registered
652 Posts
I just checked availability of the head. Ford has 3 in detroit and 2 in Kansas City. There are 40 at the packager to be packaged and shipped to Detroit. Hope your dealer ordered one for you or you might be waiting. RAY:shocked

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm hoping to get my car in on Monday. I need to call the dealer and make an app.:D

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
What if someone were planning a KB and has an early first run car with no tick as of yet, could and should they take it in for the new head before the KB, cause god knows they wouldnt work on it with the KB on there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
trey193 said:
What if someone were planning a KB and has an early first run car with no tick as of yet, could and should they take it in for the new head before the KB, cause god knows they wouldnt work on it with the KB on there.
Excellent question Trey - any thoughts from the experts?

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Yes Sly but you had the TICK and do NOT have the tick, so therefore I an wondering if I should take it in anyway for the new head. I am just wondering if it is prominent in all 03 cobras, the TICK that is???? Also I will be interested to hear if the tick ever comes back in the new head! Let us all know!! Trey

·
Registered
94 Posts
trey193 said:
Yes Sly but you had the TICK and do NOT have the tick, so therefore I an wondering if I should take it in anyway for the new head. I am just wondering if it is prominent in all 03 cobras, the TICK that is???? Also I will be interested to hear if the tick ever comes back in the new head! Let us all know!! Trey
Sorry Trey I wasn't really answering your question just posting my results.

As to your question:

I personally think that if you have over 3,000 miles and don't have the tick then you don't have the tick.

It was in mine from day one. I believe it really was a casting issue, not an issue you "develop". Also, you will likely not get a new head just by taking it in and saying you want a new head. That's why there is a diagnosis procedure in the TSB, so that only those cars with the symptoms get the new head.

I'll of course keep everyone updated if there is any re-occurance of my tick.

·
Registered
165 Posts
slythetove said:

As to your question:

I personally think that if you have over 3,000 miles and don't have the tick then you don't have the tick....
Sly,
Thanks - I think Trey and I had similar questions. I have close to 8,000 no-tick miles on my early first run and wanted to be certain the tick wasn't going to develop right after I slap the pulley/chip on it.... Greatly appreciate the input.
:beer

·
Registered
67 Posts
Got the car back today from having the head replaced!!! The sweet sound of nothing....AHHHHHHH
Now I know what you guys have to listen to that dont have the tick. She is smooth now and I have tested it many of times on the way home (up next to other cars and against walls) NO TICK!!
Hopefully I never see her ugly face again.....if I do....sell it and get a corvette!! <------- That is a joke! I was looking over the part checklist....lots of gaskets that got replaced and new head bolts that I am sure were torqued correctly by hand. I think I noticed a little scratch in the side fender...washing it in about 10 minutes to see what the whole story is. Idle is still perfect. I was worried about alignment since the tech said he pulled the engine from underneath (drop the engine and K-member) but she drives straight. My car is free from all the messes now and I will continue modding this weekend!! Omera Ford in Northglenn, Colorado took care of me. Sel-tehar (another ford dealer here) shunned me off and acted like nothing was wrong!! Pricks! :shootbird
Im gonna go put signs out at their dealership saying thier customer serivce is "non-existant". Anyways, PM with any questions!!
I have to go wash my baby!!
Andrew:

·
Registered
94 Posts
One week follow up from head replacement. No tick. Still silent and beautiful.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I test drove a red 03 cobra on Dec 7th 2002 and noticed the tick noise. This car only had 60 miles on it but ran strong. I returned to the same dealer a week later and that 03 had sold, but they just got one in. I purchased a white 03 cobra on 12/15/2002 and now have 5k miles with no tick noise. Still have a concern after reading through all these threads (no extended warranty), just wondering if there is a way to determine engine build date, hoping it is after 11/1/02.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Just visited a Ford SVT dealership. They have 5 cobras and 5 mach1s. The cobra coupes are going for $40,750 and the the converts $45,000. Mach1s are going for $35,000. Anyhow noticed the the cobra had blue painted on the inside of the head, on the drivers side. The passenger head was not blue, so not sure about the color scheme.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Da tick

What is the newest enging to have the ticking? Is it limited to the earlier runs or has it reared it ugly head on newer 03's? I just purchased a 10th anniv. coupe and it only has 250 miles. I was waiting to find out if I will get the "tick" prior to Mod'ing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would guess that the new cobras should not have the tick problem since it is more cost effective for ford to handle the problem in house.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts