Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 03 Vert that I have had back to the dealer for 3+ times for the "vibe". Two new tires, new DS, new Pumpkin etc. Still there. Now the Ford Engineer is on it.

Stopped by Friday to pick up my 01 Explorer that had a highway howl at part throttle. (New Transfer case and a rebuilt rearend). In my discussion with the service mgr he tells me they have ordered a part for the rear end (for the Cobra). I enquire further and ask to see it. It is heavy as hell and basically looks like a 25lb. bar bell with bolts and rubber isolaters sticking out of it. 1 Bolt on each end with 2 brackets. My thoughts are

1. WTF, we are adding more weight to my already portly vert!
2. Is this for real, is this what has to be done to fix it?
3. If it fixes it, do I care?
and
4 This combined with the head (new head is schdeuled to be installed this week) and the rear pop makes me wonder if it isn't time to lemon law and just start over.

Any insight and constructive advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You know it makes you wonder why everyone of them does not do it! I mean why does one car have the tick and one doesnt. Why does one car have the vibe and the other doesnt. I think it all comes down to what goes on at the factory. Mistakes here and there. I think the weight thing you are talking about is bullshit...if you have warrany they should replace the IRS with a new one since they have tried everything else. You think the 04 is going to have the vibe??? I highly doubt it.
Andrew

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am a real Ford Fan. I have owned 8 Fords and this one has had more issues than any of the rest. My patience is at about wits end. I'm about ready to tell them to order me an 04 redfire vert and call it a day. Hell, I might just dump Ford and go buy a FERIN car. The CLK 430 and M3 are nice but don't have the guts this bad boy does. FORD, Make my Car right or Get me another one!!

·
Registered
885 Posts
OH3Cobra said:
In my discussion with the service mgr he tells me they have ordered a part for the rear end (for the Cobra). I enquire further and ask to see it. It is heavy as hell and basically looks like a 25lb. bar bell with bolts and rubber isolaters sticking out of it. 1 Bolt on each end with 2 brackets. My thoughts are

1. WTF, we are adding more weight to my already portly vert!
2. Is this for real, is this what has to be done to fix it?
3. If it fixes it, do I care?

Any insight and constructive advice is appreciated.
I'm almost 100% sure that's the same Harmonic Dampener that was factory installed on ALL '01 Cobras to fix "The Vibe".
It doesn't help if the vibration is severe (although it can lessen it), or if you install lower gears (3.73/4.10/etc).
This part is a band-aid, nothing more.

For a VERY in-depth explanation & recommended cures for "The Vibe" this is about the best source:

Drivetrain Vibration: Facts, Myths, and Possible Solutions.

Hope this helps....

venomousSonic03 said:
You know it makes you wonder why everyone of them does not do it! Why does one car have the vibe and the other doesnt. I think it all comes down to what goes on at the factory. Mistakes here and there.
Read the above link for answers to all your questions. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Angus,

Thanks for the heads up, I have actually talked live with the person that did all the work on that site and just recently talked to the engineer. The dampner goes on the front of the car passenger side behind the fog light area. It is there to counter balance the vibration. We , shall see.

Corner carver. Find me another 4 passenger vert for this $ and I'll buy it. That is why i said there is a love hate relationship with this thing.

·
Registered
885 Posts
OH3Cobra said:
Angus,

Thanks for the heads up, I have actually talked live with the person that did all the work on that site and just recently talked to the engineer. The dampner goes on the front of the car passenger side behind the fog light area. It is there to counter balance the vibration. We , shall see.
Well, now that you've described it, that's not the dampener I was thinking about.
The '01 dampener goes on the IRS carrier itself, to kill vibration coming from excessive pinion flange run-out and/or driveshaft imbalance.

Not sure how a weight mounted on the sheet metal or frame would fix driveline vibration.. :confused:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'd say they suspect that the vibration is due to a chassis harmonic, and not the driveline.

We shall see. I don't think that this will fix the problem.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have also had my car in the shop for 3 times and that is currently where it is... First they did the rear - no fix, second balance tires - no fix, third - balance tires, alignment and I finally talked them into a new driveshaft - we shall see...

I know you tried the new DS and it didnt work for you, but the reason that I beleive that it will work on my car is that while the car is at high speeds it seems that when i deccelorate the vibe gets a little worse. Which would make me beleive that while the DS is not under pressure and is able to "free spin ??" then the vibe is more. I hope this fixes my vibe...

Good luck with yours and keep us updated as I might have to go this route if mine is not fixed...

·
Registered
10 Posts
after about 8 trips and more than 60 days time at the dealer, i can say i'm finally starting to enjoy this car and am starting the basic mods.....i doubt there has been a Cobra built with worse vibes than mine had....i would not describe my drivetrain as vibration free but its 80% better and i can live with it....one good thing is its actually fairly smooth in the 80 -120mph range, where at 120+ before i would start looking for the eject button...now it vibes a little at 55-60 so i avoid ....good luck with your car OH i wanted to give up on mine too, i suggest printing out the article Angus linked and take it to your dealers service manager and get to know this guy really well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts