The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stand up and be counted..
How do you like the Dark Side??

·
Registered
139 Posts
I used to own a '96 Z28 before I bought the Cobra. Now I'm having all kinds of fun.:banggears

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well my prior sports car was an 89 IROC, 350 TPI, T-Tops.

Miss the t-tops, but love the power of the 03!!!!

I don't think I did bad with my first mustang. hehehehe:evil

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have an F body I am selling now to get a 03 Cobra. Though the F body is not a bad car. I like both alot. Just the cobra is :king .

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They found there way..
:D

·
Registered
117 Posts
It was hard accepting the truth, but its very easy to never look back, I mean the back door, I mean......ummmmm yeah.....time to go find my new/used playboys of Pamela Anderson & Kelly Monaco!!! :blob :shocked

·
Registered
12 Posts
My F-body heritage goes back to a '67 Camaro. My GM heritage includes a 454 SS Chevelle. This Cobra is the only car I have ever driven that has so much torque it feels like lower gears would do more harm than good. I wish I could say I am totally happy with the Cobra over my Ram Air, but I like to drag race as a weekend hobby. I put Nittos on my Ram Air and ran it with any concerns of breakage. I wish that were true for this Cobra IRS. BFG's helped a lot with the hop, but the clunk is really starting to get old. Ford should make this a true muscle car (like they claim) instead of a Viper/Vette wannabe. This '03 Cobra is the most fun to drive, but Ford needs to realize they could solve the hop, clunk, and vibe by offering a live axle as a "drag pack" option. Neither one of my LS1 cars had traction control. I do not even want to get started on what a dangerously bad joke this is on the '03 Cobra. SVT could make this car perfect with existing parts for less cost to them, and sell it at the same price.

·
Registered
58 Posts
BLACK SUNSHINE said:
I put Nittos on my Ram Air and ran it with any concerns of breakage.
Realy? I have an Z28. I have seen and read about so many of are rears taking a dump with nothing more than DR's. The stock 10 bolt sucks in the f body. Now the 12 bolt is another story.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I should have been more specific. My LS1 cars were also autos which are easier on the rear end. Even so, the Cobra IRS is still a major drawback to drag racing. I know Nitrous Pete is running his IRS with an auto, but what I would spend on upgrading the Cobra IRS with half-shafts, shocks and bushings would almost buy a built live axle (and cure the hop, clunk, and vibe)

·
Registered
58 Posts
That makes a big difference. Since I have a 6 speed I just assumed you did. Yeah the auto's and DR's work pretty good. Though they break every once and a while also. So how bad is the IRS. I am selling my F body to buy an 03 Cobra. Will they handle a 1.8 60' with DR's?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ford's IRS leaves a lot to be desired. It is a bolt-in afterthought, unlike the Vette and Viper which were designed to have an IRS. The Vettes have a 2.5" dia hollow driveshaft with U-joints for half-shafts. The Cobra is a much smaller solid shaft with CV joints like a front wheel drive car. The Cobra will shake itself apart wheel hopping with the stock F1 tires. DR's will cure this, but then the stock halfshaft may not even last a few hard launches before they break. Stronger half-shafts will run from $500-$1000. Then there is the clunk. If you do not roll into and out of the throttle ever so gently when shifting, it sounds like someone pounding on your trunk when you let out the clutch. It even does it when you get in and out of the cruise control. Do a search on the SVT performance forum about how many people have had the rear end changed to try to cure the "vibe". Mine feels smooth, but my mirror always gets fuzzy at about 80mph. Fords IRS = POS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sorry for the rant and not answering you question. You may get 1.8 60 ft times, but the half-shafts will break. Alot of folks with these cars slip their clutch to launch. The cable clutch an the Cobra gives much better feedback that the Hydraulic GM one.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do F body's ride like Mustangs...??

I don't even ride in them...

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank's for the mini revue..

I try staying out of those cars..I'll call a taxi first..

Just an old Stubbo Ford guy....

I don't let my Sons Park there BMW's on my drivway...
My Friend Adam with his 88GT gets that spot..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Actually, I am happier with the overall quality of my Cobra compared to my LS1 cars. I am thinking about trading it in on an auto-equipped Mach 1 so I can get me some more bracket racing trophies.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
Thank's for the mini revue..

I try staying out of those cars..I'll call a taxi first..

Just an old Stubbo Ford guy....

I don't let my Sons Park there BMW's on my drivway...
My Friend Adam with his 88GT gets that spot..
Hahaha...

dont worry Jim your not missing much, just a big old dash and a big hump under your feet, that gets real HOT!! :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts