Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will a Fox 8.8 fit in a 99 Cobra? I was thinking about this.. I know it is shorter by 3" i think.. But will all the mounting be the same, just 1.5" narrower than the 99+ 8.8 solid axle?

I am asking because I would think I could put a wider wheel w/ this rear and a friend has one that I can get dirt cheap to start building for the Cobra..

Thanks

·
Registered
385 Posts
Are you talking about just the differential or the whole axle? The Fox bodies have drum brakes....

Darren

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I have heard of people using it, but it is shorter as you mentioned. As far as the mounting brackets and and control arms it should bolt right in. Call MPS in Atlanta and ask them, I am sure they would have the details!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a 92 8.8 in my 99 Cobra...It went right in....All the control arms mounting points are fine and no problems with the install...I added 98 rear GT brakes to the 8.8, so no drums for me....The only thing is, make sure you buy the ABS exiter rings and make sure you get ABS "ringed" 31 spline axles to retain your ABS if you like....Otherwise it bolts right in...The benefits of having a shorter rear end actually helps with your launch...Pulling the tires closer in, allows you to gain better traction...If I ever get my Renegade project going with the car, I will replace the 31 splines I have with 33 splines and some Aerospace rear brakes....

Jeff

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Guys... that is what I needed to know..

Yes, I will convert it to the GT/Cobra rear discs.

I am mainly wanting to use just the housing, I will completely go through everything inside.

Do you think this would be any cheaper than just finding a 99+ solid axle? I can get this Fox 8.8 for about 75 bucks.... Of Course, It won't ever touch the car until it has everything done to it... But the same goes for the 99+ axle if I got one.

Thanks again!

·
The BarTender
1,651 Posts
Hey Tony I have some parts I didn't use from my live axle install for sale if you need them. I have control arms, Springs, and a driveshaft.;)

Razor.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Razor..

Does anyone know if the rear disc brake setup will work on the fox 8.8? what modifications would have to be made if not?

·
Registered
151 Posts
How do you hook up the older ABS system in a newer car? I have an axle from a 97 Cobra that I want to put in my 99 and I would like to keep the ABS functional.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I believe the housings are the same except for the quad shock brackets. The axles in the 94+ straight axles are .750" longer per side totaling 1.5" wider axle face to axle face. You can use the disc brackets, rotors, calipers, axles and other parts from a 94+ straight axle V6, GT, and Cobra in a fox 8.8
You still have to use ABS parts to retain the ABS function.

·
Registered
151 Posts
BlackCobra99Va said:
I have a 92 8.8 in my 99 Cobra...It went right in....All the control arms mounting points are fine and no problems with the install...I added 98 rear GT brakes to the 8.8, so no drums for me....The only thing is, make sure you buy the ABS exiter rings and make sure you get ABS "ringed" 31 spline axles to retain your ABS if you like....Otherwise it bolts right in...The benefits of having a shorter rear end actually helps with your launch...Pulling the tires closer in, allows you to gain better traction...If I ever get my Renegade project going with the car, I will replace the 31 splines I have with 33 splines and some Aerospace rear brakes....
Jeff
Weren't the stock axles 28 spline instead of 31?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts