Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the Fr500 heads or cam kit? I just got done installing both on a 99 Cobra and am having valve train noise problems. The lifter collapsed gap is perfect(0.35) and everything in the heads is new. All the tensioners (4) are new as are the lash adjusters (two sets). It has a lifter rattle you can't pinpoint at 1500 to 2000 rpms. Fords FRPP Hotline is of no help. ANYONE??? Thanks !! Marv Z

·
Registered
30 Posts
Man that sux dude, hope you get it figured out. That's a butt ton of money to put in just parts, let alone machine work and assembly for something to go wrong. Did you have them P/P?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I had the same thing but worse in my 2V. The car still isnt fixed yet either (8 weeks later). To start, comp cams told the shop to shim the lifters (for a higher preload), that didnt work so they told them to use heavier springs. It still mad noise and again needed to be shimmed.The sound was almost gone at idle, and they figured it would go away after it was tuned. Then, on the dyno, intake valves started smaking pistons at 5300 rpms. The piston to valve clearance was good. I am waiting for the results from andrews to see if and how far out of spec the cams are. Ordered SHM's instead and waiting for them to go in. Also, the heads were P&P'd at the same time.

·
Registered
115 Posts
i have heard some not so good things about the set up. like not being able to get the correct lash adjustments and such. and the tech lines not knowing a thing.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was just at the Nor-Cal Shelby Mini-Nats open track event and I met a guy with a 99 black vert Cobra. He had it running while I was talking to him and he mentioned having SHM cams and FR500 heads. He knew it was loud but it didn't seem to bother him at all. The car ran great and he took it out on the track with no problems. Maybe its just the nature of the beast??? If the valve lash is correct and you have the correct springs, what can you do but live with the noise? Good luck with your engine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It is not ok if a OHC ford engine has a noisy valvetrain. A properly set up mod motor should make no more noise than stock. Clicking, clacking,tapping, rattling are all symptoms of a real problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a update on this car. The owner of the car made the decision to drive it at a three day open track event at Road America. He put over 600 track miles on it and it ran flawlessly. He was very pleased with the power output and the valve train noise has not gotten worse(hasn't gotten better!!!) He made the choice to run it against my advice, but he understands what could happen. I agree with Boss 330, It should not make noise. I checked the clearances amd setup per the factory shop manual and the sticky on the Corral. The heads are setup properly. It has to be some kind of a geometry or grind problem. I'm just waiting for someone else to run this setup, in order to see if this is a isolated incident or a problem with this kit. I would love to put it in my 01 Cobra, but I think I'll wait for a bit.... Thanks for your help Marv Z:banghead

·
Registered
105 Posts
Are the lobes tapping into the cam cap/girdles? The stock lobes barely clear the caps, let alone something with that much lift.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The lobes actually hit the cam ladders when first trial assembled. I clearanced them to clear, so that was ruled out early. I do appreciate the input though. Thanks!!! Marv Z:salute

·
Registered
105 Posts
No problem. Were the oil channels filled with oil before the adjusters were placed in there? One bubble could keep an adjuster from pumping up.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I haven't heard of noisy valvetrain problems with the FR500 parts. The same kit is being installed in my 99 right now, though, and I can tell you of a major problem at FRPP with this kit. It seems that there was a large batch of units that were shipped with 3 exhaust cams, and 1 intake cam. The boxes were marked properly, but one of the cams inside was incorrect. If this was the case in you scenario though, you would have likely destroyed some valvesprings very quickly.

At any rate, best of luck trying to find the problem!

Brad

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Speaking of problems with this kit, the oil holes in the followers was drilled way to small originally. I was contacted by the selling dealer and told of this problem, Ford Racing's hotline hadn't heard anything about it. If it had been run that way, it would have wiped the cam lobes for sure. You may want to check that on your car. Where did you hear of the incorrect cam problem from? I did verify the cam location with the base part numbers stamped on the cam. But if they were stamped wrong, that may explain part of the problem. Thanks!!! Marv Z

·
Registered
589 Posts
I heard about it from John Tymensky at Modular Performance. They're building my engine and I had the cam kit shipped their way, and they noticed the issue with them. Maybe you could give him a call and see if your problems could be related.

Keep us posted,
Brad

·
Registered
12 Posts
Blk01 Cobra said:
Has anyone used the Fr500 heads or cam kit? I just got done installing both on a 99 Cobra and am having valve train noise problems. The lifter collapsed gap is perfect(0.35) and everything in the heads is new. All the tensioners (4) are new as are the lash adjusters (two sets). It has a lifter rattle you can't pinpoint at 1500 to 2000 rpms. Fords FRPP Hotline is of no help. ANYONE??? Thanks !! Marv Z
FWIW, I have the FR500 valvetrain kit in my new engine and it runs as quiet as did the stock stuff. No rattle whatsoever at any engine speed.

Blk01 Cobra said:
Speaking of problems with this kit, the oil holes in the followers was drilled way to small originally. I was contacted by the selling dealer and told of this problem, Ford Racing's hotline hadn't heard anything about it. If it had been run that way, it would have wiped the cam lobes for sure. You may want to check that on your car.
I assume I have a set of the followers with the small holes. The hole in the stockers is approximately .115" and the hole in the FR500 followers that I have is approximately .090". That said, at idle, the two sets of cam lobes/rollers I can see through the filler hole are swimming in oil at idle. It looks like a river of oil flowing off the surface of the lobes/rollers. As soon as soon as I apply any degree of throttle, they are barely visible through the spray of oil coming through the hole in the follower. A stream of oil is being pumped directly onto the face of the lobe. Based on this observation, I'm fairly certain that there is little potential for any issues associated with oil starvation due to the smaller hole (assuming that my followers are those that have the 'smaller' holes).

Hope this helps. I haven't posted here in the past, but I thought I'd chime. Back to lurking:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The first set I got was drilled so small you coudn't barely see light through the hole. I would guess they were about .005-.010 at the most. The right ones are about .090, so you are fine. I been following your Big Bore post and am very glad you chimed in here also!! It just goes to show that you never assume any parts are correct regardless of where they come from. I will contact Modular Performance next week and update everyone when I get some new info. Thanks!!!! Marv Z

·
Registered
188 Posts
FR Cam Kit Info

We measured many sets and found the holes to be within .010" of stock. If you really look, the hole is really a square punched in the top of the cup. The size is designed to control oil flow to the intake valve / spring (cooling) on 4 valve (exhaust valve/spring is swamped) and both intake/exhast on a 2 valve.
Just an FYI

·
Registered
33 Posts
Question: Will the FR500 heads/cam pass EPA smog tests? I was under the impression they won't pass on a street car. Anybody know?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts