Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here know where I can get my hands on a FR500 Intake. I know they aren't readilya available right now, so I am looking to see if someone is done with a prototype or got their hands on one for NMRA etc...

I know a few are out there, ANYONE????

Also does anyone know if you can function the variable runners function with the IMRC box of a 96-98 Cobra?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. They advertise, but don't actually have any. They'd allow "pre-Inventory" sales but I'm not tying up cash like that waiting for the release. Learned my lesson on that with Incon.

Guess I'll have to wait unless anyone else has any insider info on this or knows someone that knows someone etc...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Think i can get one. I have mine sitting at home.
The tough part is to get the intake to work. If you want one bad enough might sell mine.

Rob

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have an pictures that show how the runner control works? Would you be able to make it work via the 96-98 IMRC cables?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Dennis,

As an alternative, I would check with Reichard as I believe they are in the process of making some 4v intakes.

Just a thought....

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Eric Brooks said:
I spoke with Jim Reichard on the phone a few days ago and asked about the progress of the 4v intake. He did not give me a definate date on when it would be available, but he said it would be a while.
I spoke with Reichard and they will be done according to them within my time frame. I will need to have one before the end of July. Wonder if that intake will be better than a ported 99 for a N/A car running 7500rpm limiter?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would doubt that the Reicard intake will be finished soon. They told me last year they were a couple weeks away. To answer some of your other questions. The FR500 works with the IMRC motors. Im sure the 96-98 computers will be able to work them. I will have three bare intakes avaible to me Early next week. Comes with the cables needed but no computer work. I will have N/a test done on my motor next week. My motor was making 393bhp before the intake(this is on a 8.9:1 motor with mild porting and SSS rockers, springs and valves. Mild cams as well.) from what others have experienced i am expecting around a 40-50bhp gain as well as being able to make power up into the 9,000 rpm range especially with the blower on it. If you want a FR500 intake please email me.

Robert Hnat
email= [email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
660 Posts
RHracing said:

Robert Hnat
email= [email protected]

Thanks
You work at Fred Beans? I just bought my Cobra there...
Where can I get some literature on the FR500 and some specs as well as pics? TIA...

·
Registered
49 Posts
HWKRCNG said:
You work at Fred Beans? I just bought my Cobra there...
Where can I get some literature on the FR500 and some specs as well as pics? TIA...
Fred Beans Ford in Boyertown to be exact. I can get pictures next wednesday. Hopefully by then i will be able to share intake swap results as well. If you have any Questions email at [email protected] or call (800)222-0243

Robert Hnat

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Got the intake (FR500) and talked to the techs. I got a racing version that won't work for my car. The throttle body inlet is at the wrong angle, my fuel rails won't fit it and the 99-01 rails won't work with my car. My computer won't operate the intake properly even with the IMRC motor or supplied motor with the intake.

The throttle blades that control which runners are used are designed to be open at idle and part throttle driving. When you go WOT and are below 4200rpm (ish) the blades close via a box like the IMRC motor box, then at WOT above 4200rpms the control box relaxes and the intake throttle blades open back up for the short runners as it was at part throttle driving. The 96-98 computers are obviously not designed to work that way. Should I just be a racer I could probably manipulate the contruction to have the blades shut at all times until pulled open like the IMRCs worked, but that isn't how this was designed.

The intake will have 2 seperate torque peaks, one for the long runner setup and one for the short runner setup resulting in what I've been told to be a VERY flat and continuous torque curve. I'm hoping this design will allow the car to run much better times at the same rwhp than a car without it; suspect it will to. Will see and keep you informed. Don't get impatient, will be months I'm sure.

Would like to add that Fred Beans has been very good to me so far regarding getting my questions answered and willingness to take the Intake back due to it not working with my combo in the racing version form.

·
Banned
900 Posts
So does anyone have any versions of the FR500 that are compatible with FR500 heads in a 96/98 Cobra?

edit: I meant any versions of the FR500 intake specifically, not just a tumble port intake.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Yeah, anyone who's done the '99 head upgrade.
I think I may go the FR500 route once I get my contour straightened out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Fourcam305 said:
So does anyone have any versions of the FR500 that are compatible with FR500 heads in a 96/98 Cobra?

edit: I meant any versions of the FR500 intake specifically, not just a tumble port intake.
Ford Racing is coming out with the intake in a few months according to them. I think the only hold up is the computer that will come with it. There will be different versions released for 96-98 and the 99 Cobras. I have looked closely at this thing and the runners are very long when the blades are shut and pretty short when open. I really think it will make a lot of hp under the curve!

·
Banned
900 Posts
I just learned of someone that gained 40+rwhp above 7k with the FR500 vs. a ported/choppped 99 intake. The car has ported 99 heads and blower comp pistons. If I am able to locate an intake in the near future, I know it will physically fit on the motor, but should I be worried about computer compatibility and IMRC actuation?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The way it is designed it will not work with the IMRC actuation. The throttle blades are open for full access to short runners during part throttle driving. At WOT the blades pull shut, closing access to short runners, then reopen again above 4000 or so rpms.

If you just bolted it up the intake would have the blades open during low rpms and pull shut at high rpms giving you the opposite effect desired.

The only way you could use the stock computer is to either redo the throttle blades so they are shut at idle and partial throttle and open up at the IMRC operation rpm. Don't know how that would affect part throttle driving and idle. I'd imagine they have the blades open under those conditions for a reason.

The other option that more race car types are doing is to pull the throttle blades out all together like an IMRC delete type scenario. If you want to do that save your money and get a short runner intake. Probably save money with the Reichart 4v when they finish it.

·
Banned
900 Posts
Good info, thanks for sharing. I called John Tymmensky today and was told that the intakes are out. I then put a call into Randy Stinchcomb at Universal Ford, and I should hear something one way or another in a day or so. At this point I'd rather hold off until a complete kit, not just a prototype casting, is available for 96-98 cars. I really don't want to waste the time/money of throwing a ported/chopped 99 intake on for now, then swapping the FR on later. For ultimate streetability I guess I'll have to wait.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the only one out is the DP50 version or racing version. It has the inlet at the wrong angle and won't fit your fuel rails. Doesn't come w/ computer/injectors/fuel rails/maf like you said.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts