Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You're probably all familiar with the "tick". If not do a search and you will become enlightened. For those that already are aware of the problem, have the problem, and are wondering if the replacement head TSB will solve the problem, I'll give you my impressions here.

I had the "tick" from day one. I first heard it next to a concrete wall in a drive through. I took it in to the dealer when the first TSB (also known as the retorque cam ladders TSB) was issued. The service was performed, but the ticking persisted. At that time Ford was advising the service department to say this was normal for this motor.

The new TSB was issued May 23, 2003. COBRAJIM9999 posted it here and I also saw in here at Modularfords.com:

http://www.modularfords.com/...=&threadid=2870

I put my car in the service department of Leif Johnson Ford last Monday June 9, 2003.

I picked up my car today. Here it is:

1. There is no tick now. None at all. Smooth baby smooth.
2. The power feels the same. I have not run it to redline just in case I need the valves to seat or anything like that, but boost was seen and everything feels fine.
3. Everything upon quick visual inspection appears to be tight and right. I will follow up this weekend with a thorough check as always.
4. I took it in with 13,372.3 miles and it was returned with approximately 13,380 miles. Completely acceptable mileage for the road testing of such a process in my opinion.

Conclusions:

First, I'd like to thank Lance Myhre and Michael "Thor" Preece, the service advisor and service tech (the only tech that touches my car when it's in) for their service and dedication to making my Cobra as perfect as it should be. Leif Johnson Ford in Austin, TX.

I have seen the service department more than I would like to, but these guys always try hard to resolve any issue I bring in. Ultimately, it was their dedication to service and attitudes when dealing with me that made me decide to allow this procedure to happen to my Cobra. Outstanding work guys. Thanks to both of you.

Other notes:

Be prepared to detail your engine when you get it back. A shop can be a messy place and you are bound to have some grease / grime on it from moving it around out of the car. I have no doubt they would have done it for me, but I prefer to do my own detailing.

Overall I'm extremely pleased to have this done. I am relieved that the problem is solved as it has bothered me from day 1.

I'll post a follow up in about a month to keep everyone aprised of ongoing condition, and I'll let you guys know if anything changes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
I know this may not mean anything, but I am on my 2nd '03 Cobra now. The first one was a Nov. 4th engine build, and the new one is a Dec.'ish range. I don't think I had the tick on the old one, but I noticed, as has multiple others, that on my new one that the driver's side head is blue. What is the final concensus on this, if anyone knows? I know some said it didn't mean anything, but now that there is that TSB for pre 11-1-02 cars, it really has me wondering again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
VNOMSSS said:
I know this may not mean anything, but I am on my 2nd '03 Cobra now. The first one was a Nov. 4th engine build, and the new one is a Dec.'ish range. I don't think I had the tick on the old one, but I noticed, as has multiple others, that on my new one that the driver's side head is blue. What is the final concensus on this, if anyone knows? I know some said it didn't mean anything, but now that there is that TSB for pre 11-1-02 cars, it really has me wondering again.
There is no correlation between the blue stripes and not ticking. There were cars that tick that were built in July '02 that have the stripe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
slythetove said:
There is no correlation between the blue stripes and not ticking. There were cars that tick that were built in July '02 that have the stripe.
Yeah, but I wish we could get a Ford engineer's exact answer to "What is the Matrix". Makes you wonder if they knew about it a long time ago and attempted to adjust it, and then waited to see how many complaints they would get. I know that sounds strange, but you never know what manufacturers will do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I have a 11-4-02 build date on my motor and my driver's side cylinder head is painted white. I don't have the tick, either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
My car was built sometime in late November early December(yes that means 2nd run) and I have the tick. It is in the shop right now, I should get it back on monday or tuesday........pending they dont screw anything up. I am glad that ford backed this issue, I was very tired of driving through places and having people looking at my car wondering what the hell that ticking noise is. I checked out the parts before I left the car there and these 4V heads on these cars are just awesome. I had never seen one in person, but it is just way more valvetrain in there compared to the tradition pushrod V8 that I have always known. The kit came with new head bolts, gaskets, oil filter and supposedly the "updated head". The cam retainers (I think that is what they are called) we already pre-tourqued. The head is basically fully built and ready to go. So lets hope they did it right so I can start my modding and have some serious fun!!
I will be posting again on tuesday or wednesday when I get this thing back.
Andrew
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
venomousSonic03 said:
My car was built sometime in late November early December(yes that means 2nd run) and I have the tick. It is in the shop right now, I should get it back on monday or tuesday........pending they dont screw anything up. I am glad that ford backed this issue, I was very tired of driving through places and having people looking at my car wondering what the hell that ticking noise is. I checked out the parts before I left the car there and these 4V heads on these cars are just awesome. I had never seen one in person, but it is just way more valvetrain in there compared to the tradition pushrod V8 that I have always known. The kit came with new head bolts, gaskets, oil filter and supposedly the "updated head". The cam retainers (I think that is what they are called) we already pre-tourqued. The head is basically fully built and ready to go. So lets hope they did it right so I can start my modding and have some serious fun!!
I will be posting again on tuesday or wednesday when I get this thing back.
Andrew
That is exactly how I felt. I hated that ticking noise. It was driving me crazy!

Now she purrs like a kitten. A big, pissed off kitten! :jawdrop

heheheheh
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top