Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front suspension consists of the following:
  • upr k-member tubular a-arms w/ qa1 adj struts and qa1 coilover kit and maximum motorsport cc plates.
  • Currently have a 14" 225lb spring in the front will be swapping it for a 14"175 spring soon.
When driving on the street on full loose when hitting a bump or pot hole it clunks like the front end is gonna fall out. On full tight it is slightly better but still real harsh.
  • Is there anything that can be done to fix this ??
  • Could it be from the metal on metal where the strut contacts the CC plate?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I have heard from a number of guys that the QA1s are very noisy and clunky.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Yeap my qa1's are the same way. They did it worse once I converted them over to full coilovers and tubular suspension

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder why though I would think they would be quiter since they don't use the sleeves over the strut. Anyone know if theres a fix fore this??

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
the only fix i know of is changing them for another setup. qa1 is widely known for the noises they make. typically it is the strut, coilover setup and cc plate setup that make noises, but the mm cc plate setup is fine and the kmember kits typically don't make noises, depending on their bushing setup.

I am running a full mm front suspension setup with tokico stuts and have no noises.

another thing people sometimes don't realize is inside the driver fender, up in the strut tower, there is an oval punch out. depending on the alignment of the kmember and the vehicle alignment, the punch out may rub the coil spring causing a binding noise when you turn and in extreme cases just driving straight it can cause some noises if it is rubbing. i grind this down when i do installs.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
yo

The Qa1s are a great strut for the track. I had them in my car for a short time though. They made way to much noise on the street for my taste. The car over bumps sounded like it was going to fall apart. I purchased a set of Tokico D spec and I'm running the same spring weight as before 14-225. The car is super quiet now and much more enjoyable to drive. The noise your hearing is in the valving. good luck

·
Registered
820 Posts
I have heard from a number of guys that the QA1s are very noisy and clunky.
+1.

I suspect the combination of the QA-1's with the MM Caster/Camber plates is your issue. My understanding is they make noise with aftermarket CC plates, but will work fine with the stockers. Since many people run aftermarket CC plates, many people have encountered this. Since I imagine you wouldn't want to go back to stock CC plates, the best choice is likely a Tokico strut.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
yo

Not trying to step on your feet but it's just the struts. It's in the valving.

+1.

I suspect the combination of the QA-1's with the MM Caster/Camber plates is your issue. My understanding is they make noise with aftermarket CC plates, but will work fine with the stockers. Since many people run aftermarket CC plates, many people have encountered this. Since I imagine you wouldn't want to go back to stock CC plates, the best choice is likely a Tokico strut.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
that's what i was thinking where the strut shaft contacts the cc plate it's metal on metal i wonder if there's a way to put a insulator in between the two to deaden it somewhat

+1.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Hmm

It can't be the C/C plate it's pulled tight with the top nut. Plus the C/C plate was made to move around on the inside with it's machined joint there's no noise coming from there unless it was installed wrong or it's loose. Replace the struts or check the K member for broken welds or something loose. good luck

that's what i was thinking where the strut shaft contacts the cc plate it's metal on metal i wonder if there's a way to put a insulator in between the two to deaden it somewhat

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
check the bearings in the cc plates. if they have ANY play it will make clunking noise over bumps. They should start sending them out with teflon lined bearing races. Over time too much play developes in the spherical ball.

·
Registered
340 Posts
i have the qa1 struts too.. the sound is worse when its cold also.. once they warm up there not as bad.. but still loud

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
yo

I have never seen a later model MM C/C plate ever go bad or where out. But I have seen them go bad on older fox body mustangs. Change out the struts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i had the same struts on a fox body with no issues I can't see how it can be the strut itself and not the coilover setup or cc plate

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Hmm

I chased the same noise for about two weeks. I tried everything to fix the noise I figured it has to be in the struts. Then I called QA1 and they told me that the noise was in there struts and that it was normal. I changed them out about two weeks later with D specs and now my car super quiet. The only reason I removed the QA1 was that they made a little to much noise for me. Call QA1 ask for tech line

·
Registered
15 Posts
isolate your springs with some sort of rubber hose thin hose around the base of the spring and the top of the spring . this is the only fix for your problem

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
yo

I did this thinking it was the spring bouncing around in the perch also but it didn't fix my problem. New struts fixed my problem

isolate your springs with some sort of rubber hose thin hose around the base of the spring and the top of the spring . this is the only fix for your problem

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
yo

You sure you have the two spacer's on the bottom side of the strut- c/c plate. If not the top of the coil over could be hitting on the underside of the shock tower over bumps. Keep us posted on your results but my money would be on the QA1s.

Just called QA1 Tech said it mostly likey is the play in the spherical bearing of the CC plate they said to try and shim it

called maximum motorsports they suggested a bumpstop http://www.maximummotorsports.com/

1 - 20 of 24 Posts