Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are any of you running on the street without a front sway bar? Just curious how it will affect handling with coilovers and if this is a bad idea on a high HP street car.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well, I don't have a turbo, but have been running without a sway bar and coil overs for quite some time. It definitely does affect handling, but it is certainly liveable. Just can't take those on-ramps at 90! ;)

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Ive been running without it for years. The car rolls a little in the corners but nothing terrible, just dont try to take hard corners.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
i have, but personally don't like it. i like taking corners fast as well. it does take getting used to, but like the others said, easy to get used to.

·
Registered
240 Posts
No it's not a bad idea, it's a terrible idea. You need all the help you can get when driving your car on the street and when you get ready to race the car it takes about five or ten minutes to unbolt it to help you get out of the gate.

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
I've had no issues driving my car with one the past 5 years.
Same here and I drive my car alot. I have never had an issue where I felt the car was unsafe because it was off. Now if you are driving around on 90/10 struts and soft front springs it would be a different story.

·
Registered
554 Posts
first thing to get tossed from my cars is the front swaybar.. i have coilovers 90/10's and daily drive it on 3 1/2 skinnies .so removing the swaybar was not a biggie for me. not like i can take a 90 mph on ramp with those small tires anyways..car drives fine the way it is.as long as its going in a straight line : )

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
Yes it is that big of a deal. If you can shave .2-.3 off your 60ft then thats .5-.6 at the big end. The first 60ft is the whole race. If you cant get the car out of the hole you arent going to ET for shit.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Yes it is that big of a deal. If you can shave .2-.3 off your 60ft then thats .5-.6 at the big end. The first 60ft is the whole race. If you cant get the car out of the hole you arent going to ET for shit.
Oh ok, that is a good bit of time. I'm not doing a corner carver so just might have to do this one too.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
i took my swaybar off around 6 months ago and put around 5k miles on my car. Have had no issues. Yes, you can't take onramps at 90mph now but it drives fine still as long as you arent a madman. Drive like a normal person and it won't be an issue :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Nice car, What kind of rims do you have on the rear and what size are they and is that a full slick that you are using?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Nice car, What kind of rims do you have on the rear and what size are they and is that a full slick that you are using?
thanks, they are greg weld 15x8's. It's a Hoosier 275/60R15 (the 28" tall drag radial). It looks like a bias ply et street pretty much, cheater slick with 2 grooves cut in it. My matching fronts just arrived on monday in 17x4.5 (need them to clear the cobra calipers up front, still have gt brakes out back) so we'll see if I can get that 10 second pass this season before I grenade the stock 2v lol. Pulleying car down, installing the tube front end, and skinnies so should help.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have the Greg Weld 17x4.5 on the front of my car. They fit nicely on the 03-04 Cobra's. I have 17x10.5 deep dish cobra replica wheels on the back of my car with Hoosiers on all four corners. If I had your email address I could send you some pics of my car. The 17x4.5's look sweet up front. I also have drag radials with the two grooves, But I don't know how they hook yet because the weather hasn't been good enough to bring the car out yet and I've been on the road. Not in too big a hurry to get back until this crappy weather breaks a little. If you like I can send you some pics or I may put a photo album together soon.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
sure, email is [email protected]

you run the hoosier prostreet tire up front? their skinny 17" radial? I was worried about running those cause load rating was 825 lbs per tire and I didn't know if that would be enough for to support weight of these front end heavy cars

1 - 20 of 23 Posts