The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reason why we should not use it..??
Chevron Techtron or others?

·
Registered
250 Posts
I have wondered the same thing myself. I don't know if it is even necessary with these cars.... and if so what to use or how often. I hate to try something that is going to have adverse affects or end up wasted effort. Any input?.......

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use a bottle of Redline brand F.I. cleaner about every 4-6 month's just to keep the fuel sytem good and clean. No problems so far. :cool:

·
Registered
285 Posts
most of the time they discolor the plugs, so that if you are a person that reads plugs for a lean.rich tune it can hinder that. Other then that I dont know of any problems using a cleaner

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not only not a problem, a necessity. Oxygenated fuels leave all sorts of gummy deposits, and can build up on injector pintles, intake valves, and piston crowns. Today's fuels have less detergents than they used to, as a cost cutting measure.

I advise running a high tech cleaner every oil change, or do as I do - Red Line SI-2 (in oless concentrated form) with every fill up for continuous cleaning.

The best products are:
Redline SI-1 and SI-2 (also has a top cylinder lube)
Pennzoil Regane
Chevron Techron

I am wary of BG 44K - it is an extremely strong cleaner, and Nutz and Boltz determined that it could cause delamination of coils in some FI designs. It seems to be a product for those that are already experiencing driveability problems - I say never let your car get in that situation.

Most of the other products are just cheap kerosenes. the better products have petro distillates, xylene, and other detergents. I have not noticed excessive discoloration on my plugs, but I do not read them so it is a possibility.

Once intake parts get dirty, it gets harder to clean them. Dirty intake valves can result in a lean A/F condition.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Red Line SI-2 (in oless concentrated form)......huh?

Cobra'03 you put the stuff in at EVERY GAS FILL UP, or every oil change?

Please clarify. I can get the RedLine injector cleaner at my local Pep Boys for like 4.95 a bottle, so this would be refreshing news.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts