Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would anyone know right off if the returnless 99 cobra fuel rail fit a 96-98 cobra intake? thanks guys. and.......if anyone has one just laying around??????..........

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
The 2 rails regulate pressure in different ways,
and require completely different fuel systems,
and possibly different engine control systems.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't think they will. I know 96-98 rails won't fit on a 99-01 intake (been there, done that). Guys have modified 96-98 fuel rails to fit 99-01 intakes (to go return-style) but they are not a direct fit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
The 2 rails regulate pressure in different ways,
and require completely different fuel systems,
and possibly different engine control systems.
okay!, quick run down, 89 coupe,2001 cobra dash swap, 97 mark8 engine, still has b heads, 98 cobra intake, with imrc deletes, entire vehicle wiring from the cobra. so it's set up for return-less fuel. i'm trying to stick to stock parts here to keep cost down. that is why i was asking.

·
Registered
895 Posts
facts

I can give you a few things I learned 2 years ago.

The fuel injectors are spaced the same width apart on the 96-98 Cobra as the 99-04 Cobra. It doesn't bolt on, because it bolts on completely different, but it does mean that brackets can be made to make it work. You won't find a "kit" for that, but brackets are easy compared to creating a custom fuel rail from scratch. It is also a lot cheaper than AN fittings and hoses for billet rails.

The 99-01 Cobra fuel rail is the same fuel rail as a 03-04 Cobra fuel rail, so that increases the "supply" of used factory rails for you to find..

The fuel supply line in a return-style fuel system has the same exact fitting that plugs into the fuel rail on a returnless system. Since the 96-98 Mustang has its fuel lines on the passenger inner fender, it could plug right into the returnless rail. You could swap in a 99+ gas tank, wire it up and keep it simple. You wouldn't need the return line, so you would have to decide how to dispose of that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can give you a few things I learned 2 years ago.

The fuel injectors are spaced the same width apart on the 96-98 Cobra as the 99-04 Cobra. It doesn't bolt on, because it bolts on completely different, but it does mean that brackets can be made to make it work. You won't find a "kit" for that, but brackets are easy compared to creating a custom fuel rail from scratch. It is also a lot cheaper than AN fittings and hoses for billet rails.

The 99-01 Cobra fuel rail is the same fuel rail as a 03-04 Cobra fuel rail, so that increases the "supply" of used factory rails for you to find..

The fuel supply line in a return-style fuel system has the same exact fitting that plugs into the fuel rail on a returnless system. Since the 96-98 Mustang has its fuel lines on the passenger inner fender, it could plug right into the returnless rail. You could swap in a 99+ gas tank, wire it up and keep it simple. You wouldn't need the return line, so you would have to decide how to dispose of that.
that is the exact answer i was looking for. thanks!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
351 do u have the stock 98 rail? and would u like to sell it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts