Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going return.

I'm going return, I get that a front filled rails with the regulator at the back would provide the best filling to the rail and control of the pressure but I'm thinking about fuel heat, if the regulator is pre-rail the fuel won't get to heated up when coming thru the rails.

Which one could be the best installation way for a street driven mild to high powered car? pre rail because of the heat, or post rail for safety and control?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I'm not sure I get your question. Fuel goes in one end of the rails (or in one rail to the other rail, in series (not the best idea)) and then out to the regulator before the return trip to the tank. If you put the regulator before the rails, the FPR can't compensate for pressure drop across the injectors. This can lead to a lean condition.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm not sure I get your question. Fuel goes in one end of the rails (or in one rail to the other rail, in series (not the best idea)) and then out to the regulator before the return trip to the tank. If you put the regulator before the rails, the FPR can't compensate for pressure drop across the injectors. This can lead to a lean condition.

Hope that helps!
As I see it, it does compensate but not as fast?, or am I getting it wrong?

You connect the regulator in the middle of the flow using both top ports, one from the filter, the other to the rails. If the pressure at the rail lowers it lowers at the regulator too and compensate.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I always ran a -10 line straight to the regulator then split of to the rails. I dont see how you could controll pressure with a regulator by trying to controll the pressure behind it...no instead you put a manual guage there on the regulator and run the lines out to the rails at a regulated rate.

·
Banned
263 Posts
I always ran a -10 line straight to the regulator then split of to the rails. I dont see how you could controll pressure with a regulator by trying to controll the pressure behind it...no instead you put a manual guage there on the regulator and run the lines out to the rails at a regulated rate.
Either you're the dumbest or luckiest racer on the planet or both.

No offense intended. :tip:

Here is a prety simple way to understand:

The way you have it set-up, Everything between the regulator and tank is the return side. If the return line just dumps into the tank, how will the fuel line ever build pressure?
Im not here as much as you, and I know your name from many forums.... you should know better!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Either you're the dumbest or luckiest racer on the planet or both.

No offense intended. :tip:

Here is a prety simple way to understand:

The way you have it set-up, Everything between the regulator and tank is the return side. If the return line just dumps into the tank, how will the fuel line ever build pressure?
Im not here as much as you, and I know your name from many forums.... you should know better!
Because I dead headed the rails.
Its been a few year since I did it...I'll double check what I said and look back at my notes
Thanks

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Lito
I did mis speak. Iapologize for that. After looking at the pictures and notes I see that I ran -10 to a Y. Block split to two -8's...one to each rail and tbem to the regulator The aeromotive had two inputs and then the return line bleeds off.
Just goes to show why you keep notes....for senior moments...anyway its been a few years since I did it so again my apologies.
The tune for removing the fuel worked great last weekend Thanks for that.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Don't worry, that is how I got it to be done in my mind but will be willing to try something similar to the pre-regulated GM's have and see how it goes and have the hardware at hand to do it if I find it leans out.

What is my worry? fuel being heated while running thru the rails.

I'll try to do the following, fit the regulator with one of the top ports from the filter and the other to the "Y", feed the front of the rails individually and plug them on the rear. This way fuel not used will not go thru the rails. I see the regulator will still keep the pressure on the line but not as sharp as if it was after the rails.

If this does not work will switch to the other way of install.

Why am I worried about heat? this is basically a street car that will sometimes hit the road course. No quarter mile for me.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I highly recommend you DO NOT put the regulator before the rails, if you do it that way the regulator wont be able to do its job properly. Here is a little diagram that made very quickly with my photoshop skills...

Now, the regulator is used to bleed off excess pressure and return the unused fuel to the tank. Think of it kind of like a wastegate in a turbo system (kind of). You cant put the wastegate after the turbo and expect it to regulate exhaust flow through the turbo in turn to regulate the boost pressure. This was the only comparison I could think of, but unlike a fuel pressure regulator, the wastegate is required to be installed before the turbo.

If you run the regulator before the rails, there will not be anywhere near enough pressure to supply fuel to the engine because as soon as it exits the regulator, its going to pass right by the rails and return to the tank (like electricity, the fuel will choose the path od least resistance). I think you that you are thinking way to far into the matter about fuel heating up. If it really is a concern, run one pump full time and then use a hobbs switch to activate the 2nd and/or 3rd pump. Hope this helps. :tip:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts