Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2003 Cobra, noticed a small spot when I was cleaning the garage out last night. Fluid looks like it's probably dot 3 but I'm not 100% sure on that. Clear, oily, thin, and leaking from the center area between the front wheels. I haven't had a chance to get under the car but I will be taking the daily driver in for safety just in case.

Any ideas of what it is and where it's coming from? Any common leaks with these beasts? I down clean white paper to get a more specific location and hopefully it's something easy like a brake line that just needs a good tightening :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Do you ever back your car into the garage? The reason I ask this is because you may have the common rear differential leak. There is nothing in the middle up front that would leak directly in the middle. Get under the rear of the car and wipe your finger along the bottom of the diff.(rear end "pumpkin"), ..is it wet? There's your leak.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Smell the fluid. You'll know if it's brake fluid. Diff fluid is different. If you're still not sure, taste it. LOL

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fluid

So far I haven't. I did find a spot again today but the good news is I have pics now. I attached the best one and marked it with arrows. I still haven't been able to get under the car because my floor jack and ramps don't work so nicely with the new pony.

Any ideas as of what the two tubes are over the power steering rack? I also notice the one drip right by the filter but the oil seemed much much thinner engine oil when I touched the spot yesterday.

Do you ever back your car into the garage? The reason I ask this is because you may have the common rear differential leak. There is nothing in the middle up front that would leak directly in the middle. Get under the rear of the car and wipe your finger along the bottom of the diff.(rear end "pumpkin"), ..is it wet? There's your leak.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
C'mon guys, you can do lots better than this. This is an EASY one.

Its anti-freeze leaking from a loose or cracked oil filter base.

·
Breaking ****
1,304 Posts
tough one, first thought was PS fluid. Look under the resivior and see if it's leaking from the bottom and leaking down to where you see it? doubt its coolant, it would have a distinctive smell. It could be oil. i know on my car the oil filter will have a drip where it meets the oil cooler, maybe tighten you filter if it is oil, but not sure how it could get on the PS lines so it's unlikely.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took it to ford and had them change the oil. They couldn't find any leaks so I'm hoping the oil change fixed the leak. Certainly not antifreeze and most likely I'll take a dip of all the other fluids on the paper that has been leaked and see which one matches. I think it's just oil, please, please just be a loose filter!

tough one, first thought was PS fluid. Look under the resivior and see if it's leaking from the bottom and leaking down to where you see it? doubt its coolant, it would have a distinctive smell. It could be oil. i know on my car the oil filter will have a drip where it meets the oil cooler, maybe tighten you filter if it is oil, but not sure how it could get on the PS lines so it's unlikely.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have read on here before that the part you thread on the filter actually can loosen up and come loose. Next oil change... when the filter is off, tighten it. It's inside the threaded part and is a big hex size, you may have to go pick it up from the store. Hope this helps good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts