Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running 13lbs boost and use the IT20'[email protected]
Should i use the 22's ? and at what Gap ??

·
Registered
459 Posts
So maybe I'm a 6 finger klutz but when I stuck the gap gauge in the Denso IT22 I broke the center electrode in nothing flat.. its simply too thin to take the feeler gauge being shoved in and out of there more than 1 time. That was my $11 lesson that hopefully others learn from. Maybe I need to shell out the big bucks for a real gapping tool and not the $1 gapper at the parts counter but since I've never used or held a $60 gapper I don't know if they are any better. Jerry

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
According to Denso, you should use them as they come out of the box. They should be consistant, mine were all right around .028-.030. I didn't use a gauge that would be tight since I didn't want to break the center.

Also keep in mind that there is a "V" machined in opposite the electrode, which probably adds a few thousanths to the gap.

According to denso, if a plug or two's gap don't match, you should send them back.

Ever since I heard Pete ran his best time with his gap less than .020, I figured there isn't much to be gained by trying to run a wide gap.

JT

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I have heard so many different opinions, 2 different people @ Denso told me 2 different things, one said to gap at 35 the other said I could leave them at what they are out of the box, I had to send 4 of mine back because the wire tip was not aligned with the V groove, I wish I would have just went with TR6 and not been afraid to gap them at 35 and be done with it! Did you gap your IT20's yourself Jimmy V?

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you gap your IT20's yourself Jimmy V?

I had mine pre [email protected] JDM
If you buy them from Outrageous Perf...for $5 they will gap them for you..$68 + 6 shipping and $5 extra for gapping..

·
Registered
309 Posts
Gentlemen,
The ideal method is to gap the plug to the widest gap possible without causing a blowout condition. This will give you the most HP. I understand that Pete gapped his plugs way down, but what you fail to realize is that he probably needed to do that for a reason. High boost, high volume of air, = possible blowout.

If you do run the Denso's, don't leave them gapped at what they come out of from the box. With every car and every plug, the gap will always need to be played with. Some cars will take greater gaps than others. And just because one person runs a small gap, don't think for a second that your car necc. needs that small gap as well. You could be losing precious HP.

Jimmy,
I had to edit this, because I didn't answer your question. Switching to a denso 22 will obviously cause you to run a little richer. It is a colder plug, however if you are not experiencing any concern with the current plug, then why switch. You should only switch to a colder if you are experiencing detonation. If not, then run what you have at the widest gap possible. Remember, cold plugs arent always the best plug.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jimmy

Johnny L told me to leave mine gapped where they were .28 to .30 out of the box. All I know is on my flip chip he made the one side pretty hot and this car friggin pulls on that program. Without any detonation on pump gas. 2.93 pulley. I assume it has more timing up top...

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Once again one person says one thing the other says another, heck I would have more peace of mind trying to tighten my cam ladders on my own than install a set of Denos at the right gap! Wheres Pete at , get in here and lay it down for us Pete.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
Did you gap your IT20's yourself Jimmy V?

I had mine pre [email protected] JDM
If you buy them from Outrageous Perf...for $5 they will gap them for you..$68 + 6 shipping and $5 extra for gapping..
We have found that people trying to gap the Denso's for the first time (or are not careful) break off the electrode. You can use the plugs right out of the box, but this is not the best method. As stated above, call us and we will gap them for your application for $5 and we have the best price on plugs.

On the subject of which one to use, I always say to use the IT22s for any additional boost over stock. This plug is good until you are reaching the 20psi mark, then the IT24s are the plug of choice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Its not life or death. A smaller gap is safer but may give up a bit of power everything else being equal. Don't agonize over the little things. The denso's are a far superior plug to the TR6.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Tommylightning, so what plugs/gap would you recommend for the KB at 17psi? I was under the impression the 24's gapped at .026. Whats the stock gap on the 24's?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I agree with BAD PNY, it is not life or death. I would bet no difference could be shown on the track or on the dyno on any gap between .020 and .040. Maybe someone wants to try that?

Anyway, Jimmy what was that saying you told me about from the neighborhood, peeing on the wall or something?
:D

JT

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Tommy what do you recommend gapping the 22's at, and also what is your method of gapping, Denso said to use needle nose pliers and a feeler guage to achieve the proper gap without breaking the tip off, by the way I run the 2.93 upper only!

·
Registered
72 Posts
trey193 said:
Tommy what do you recommend gapping the 22's at, and also what is your method of gapping, Denso said to use needle nose pliers and a feeler guage to achieve the proper gap without breaking the tip off, by the way I run the 2.93 upper only!
The IT22s gapped @ .038 would work just fine for your application!;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
I am running 13lbs boost and use the IT20'[email protected]
Should i use the 22's ? and at what Gap ??
I am running a 2.80 upper and 2lb lower. We found after several tunes that .035 was perfect on my car (most hp without blowout) with the IT22s. I would say .038 would be good to go with the 2.93 only.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Jimmy, an IT20 will work, but an IT22 is more ideal for +6 or more on the boost level. I recommend .034 to .038 on the gap for you as well, although I'm crazy and run an IT20 with a .040 gap with a 2.95" upper :D

For what it is worth, a 2.95" upper will add +6 to +6.5 extra of boost based off of rpms.

Also, everyone, do not use a coin gapper. Instead, go to Sears and purchase you an electrode point bender and a set of feeler gauges. You can get both, or combined, for less than $12 bucks. Here is some links to their pictures of them at Sears:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Everyone should own a set of feeler guages and an electrode point bender, especially when the two can be had for less than $12 bucks, but for $5 bucks via tommy you can't really go wrong.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I wish I would have known about your prices Tommy and the 5 bucks more for the gapping would be the way to go, I instead had a buddy pick me up a set of 8 at the Columbus show, he was a lightning vendor cant remember the name right now, but I get the plugs out of the boxes and 6-8 have the wire not aligning with the V groove in the strap, so i call Denso and he said send them to him and they will get me a set out next day, I still havent heard anything from them, and to me they all seem clueless at Denso, I received 2 different opinions on gapping them, I am starting to get pissed about the whole ordeal, like I said I wish I would have known about you, you got any ideas or had any of this happen with the Densos???:mad:

·
Registered
72 Posts
We sell lots of Denso plugs and never had a problem out of the box. We have had people try to gap them and break the electrode. This is the reason the we offer the gapping service. As far as the Denso guys telling you different storys, I think it is because of the problem of breaking that some of the techs tell you not to gap them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts