Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I’ve spent at least 15 years away from the mustang scene/forums, but I used to be a member of this place, svt performance(?), and the corral dating back to the vbb bulletin board days. I’m to the point in life where one of my old toys needs to come out of storage and thankfully I’m also in a position that I could have someone build a block for me. Back in the day, everyone and their mother promised to build a great block or sell a fancy turbo kit. Most were full of hot air or were straight up crooks. So! Who are the go to shops these days? Reasonable priced, reputable, short turn around type shops? My Christmas present to myself is to start down the road of driving an old (by today’s measure) hot rod.
The car is a ‘98 gt. Nothing fancy, but in early 99 it was a PI headed car (and then some) that was alotta fun for a kid to scoot around in!
Thanks in advance for any input!

·
Administrator
9,417 Posts
Shortblocks tend to be rather proletariate efforts. If you are using a modern engine like a Modmotor (or any engine for that matter) bore the engine the absolute minimum necessary to clean up the cylinder walls. The block, crank, rods and piston choicess are all fairly well sorted out these days. If you use coatings or don't use coatings on pistons there is no difference for a street driven car and a vanishingly small difference for a pure race car. Connecting rod-wise there are any number of good providers available today. Have a shop balance the rotating assembly for you, make sure you follow your piston manufacturer's PTW recommendations buy a set of rings from TotalSeal and you are essentially done!

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts