Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've decided Whipple is a dead end for me, I'd never save $6000, just a full time college student with a part time job.

However, I'd like to run cams along with longtubes in my 07 GT, but I don't really know much about it, what would you pros recommend? (experiences?) So far, I have JLT intake, steeda UD pulleys, spydershaft, and o/r H pipe with stingers, stock 3.31 gear, also charge motion delete plates will be its way soon.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
375 Posts
change out the gears to maybe 4.10s. will liven up the car a bit.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Put in 3.73 or 4.10 gears and install the CMDP's at the same time as the cams. I selected the FRPP cams and I couldn't be happier. My cars pulls strong and sounds sweet. I liked the peace of mind I got with the ford cams, rather than playing around with springs, or phaser lockouts or limiters. I had the ford garage install the cams and I am running a tune from JDM. The car idles nice, right around 750 rpm and has a great shudder to it that makes me chckle everytime I go for a drive. Good luck. Kevin

·
Registered
444 Posts
you can use comp NSR cams or BBR stage 1 both cams you can use them without changing valve springs

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the responses, I know I need a better gear ratio, but the reason I haven't done anything to it is that I wanted force induction.

I'm thinking about the stage 2 comp cams with phaser lockout. what's the difference between the THUMPER and XFI?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Put in 3.73 or 4.10 gears and install the CMDP's at the same time as the cams. I selected the FRPP cams and I couldn't be happier. My cars pulls strong and sounds sweet. I liked the peace of mind I got with the ford cams, rather than playing around with springs, or phaser lockouts or limiters. I had the ford garage install the cams and I am running a tune from JDM. The car idles nice, right around 750 rpm and has a great shudder to it that makes me chckle everytime I go for a drive. Good luck. Kevin
Thanks. do you know how many hp the car picked up?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hope you're still reading cause the answer above....well basically suck. Cams are decent investment, they're a bit pricey both parts and labor. Your cam should be based on you final goal. If you plan on supercharging a few years from now then you need to get a cam that will work best for the supercharger you're going to use. If you're sure you'll never supercharge then you need to get a cam that makes most power on motor, at that point you might want to do some research on high lift cams naturally aspirated cams like the Comp Cams with phase eliminators, cams like these will require new springs. If you want best bang for the buck good power and relatively cheap to install the FRPP Hot Rods will do you just fine. All cam options will require dyno tuning for optimal performance, you must also consider your trany type (stick or auto) and rear end gears before purchase.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope you're still reading cause the answer above....well basically suck. Cams are decent investment, they're a bit pricey both parts and labor. Your cam should be based on you final goal. If you plan on supercharging a few years from now then you need to get a cam that will work best for the supercharger you're going to use. If you're sure you'll never supercharge then you need to get a cam that makes most power on motor, at that point you might want to do some research on high lift cams naturally aspirated cams like the Comp Cams with phase eliminators, cams like these will require new springs. If you want best bang for the buck good power and relatively cheap to install the FRPP Hot Rods will do you just fine. All cam options will require dyno tuning for optimal performance, you must also consider your trany type (stick or auto) and rear end gears before purchase.
I do appreciate every reponse I get, however I'll consider all my options and eliminate.

my goals are to get the cams now, and add a couple for bolt ons and dyno tune.
and down the road, I'll have a built short block, and nitrious until I save enough money for a s/c or turbo.

As of now, I'd like to get the cams that'll work great with say..whipple s/c, but at the same time, I want it to perform well between now and later, because it'll take me A WHILE until I reach my final goal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is probably the most wise and discerning response to a question I've seen in my short life at MF's.
I would only add, as follows: -6* of timing, 100 oct fuel, 200 shot :).

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just a question, do you even have cams? I bought the XFI SPR stage II n/a cams from comp knowing full well these cams work beautifully with a blower until about 15psi. Dont buy n/a cams if you think you are supercharging within a few years???!! Are you serious? It is one thing to offer advice to the OP, but another to insult everyone else who tried to help...ESPECIALLY considering your advice is not sound in the least :dumb:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Kevin (punisha),
Eventhough others feel my advice/opinion sucked, I'll go ahead and answer your second question to me. :)

I did not have my car dyno'd before and after my installs, so I have nothing scientific to offer you. However, Jim at JDM told me that they had tuned a few combinations similar to mine and that they were making in the 320-325 RWHP range. It seems that most gt's are making about 265 rwhp stock, so I think this is a pretty fair gain for the $2500 in parts and labor that everything cost me. I did all the mods in my sig at one time.

I have yet to see anyone do a back to back FRPP Hot Rod Cam comparison to any of the other 3rd party Cam options. I'd like to see how much more power the other options offer, given the extra work and risk of messing with the VCT and springs, limiters/lockouts etc... I'm sure there is more power there, the question to me was how much and at what risk/cost.

It is my understanding with the FRPP Cams, that running the phasers without lockouts or limiters is fine because you will never retard them enough to bend valves in the event of any type of failure. This mattered to me in my decision making.

As you noticed, you'll get a bunch of different opinions around here on Cams which is all good. After all, that is why we all read these forums. ;)

Take care and good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kevin (punisha),
Eventhough others feel my advice/opinion sucked, I'll go ahead and answer your second question to me. :)

I did not have my car dyno'd before and after my installs, so I have nothing scientific to offer you. However, Jim at JDM told me that they had tuned a few combinations similar to mine and that they were making in the 320-325 RWHP range. It seems that most gt's are making about 265 rwhp stock, so I think this is a pretty fair gain for the $2500 in parts and labor that everything cost me. I did all the mods in my sig at one time.

I have yet to see anyone do a back to back FRPP Hot Rod Cam comparison to any of the other 3rd party Cam options. I'd like to see how much more power the other options offer, given the extra work and risk of messing with the VCT and springs, limiters/lockouts etc... I'm sure there is more power there, the question to me was how much and at what risk/cost.

It is my understanding with the FRPP Cams, that running the phasers without lockouts or limiters is fine because you will never retard them enough to bend valves in the event of any type of failure. This mattered to me in my decision making.

As you noticed, you'll get a bunch of different opinions around here on Cams which is all good. After all, that is why we all read these forums. ;)

Take care and good luck.
Thanks Kevin.

I dyno'd my car when it was completely stock, Idk what kind of dyno it was, but it showed 282rwhp, 303ft/lb torque (i think?).. I'm going to give comp a call next week and find out some more info. and do a little more research on the frpp cams. I'll keep you guys posted.

Kevin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts