Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently brought my 00 GT in for the second time in a little over a year for engine problems. First time, I blew 2 cylinders and had a new engine installed. This time, it's only 1 cylinder that has lost compression. But, it's only been 4,000 miles since the new engine was installed, and I ran it once at the track since last spring. Other than that, its been normal driving. After a phone conversation with Joe from JD Auto here in PA, he was telling me how common it is for these motors to crush rings and this is due partly to the so called rev-limiter that they use. He said the way the factory setup works, regardless of how high you go, leans the motor out and can cause such problems. Maybe if Ford used better material in the engines, ie.. heavier duty rings and such it wouldnt happen as easily. I am interested to see how many others out there have had similar problems. If this happens again, I think I am going to just pay to have the motor re-built with high quality stuff.

·
Registered
113 Posts
With all your mods the dealer is still warrantying"spelling?" your car?Don't say you've taken it to the track also !Dealers here in Vegas will denie your warranty for having a K&N on!
Kaz............:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Jim,
come on!A guy blows up 2 motors and they are modified plus he's raced it at the track!You don't think they can "PROVE" it's related?You most have some really Good friends at your service dept!I could tell you storys"banned from 3 dealerships over my 95 lightning"Blown stock motor on my 91 gt would'nt repair because I had a NOS recipt in my glove box"that wasn't installed yet!Blown motor on my 01 SC-281 speedster .I new they would call me on my mods so I just had SHM build me thier baddest Billet Race motor and quit messing with Stock JUNK!
Kaz......................:cool:

·
Registered
385 Posts
stanggt00 said:
He said the way the factory setup works, regardless of how high you go, leans the motor out and can cause such problems
Won't the dealer claim your intake mods (ie C&L MAF, throttle body, etc) caused the lean condition. They will claim any exhaust/intake mods screw with the air/fuel. When I worked at a Ford dealer, they would try to find ANYTHING to void the warranty.

Good luck
Darren

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am lucky to have a good dealership. They havent tried to void my warranty. Maybe because I shelled out the extra $ for the extended warranty. Believe me, I would have cancelled the ext warr if that was the case. Actually, the dealership knows all I have, chip etc... and the only thing they said was to remove the chip before they could do any work. There is a HUGE thing I saw somewhere that talks about modifying your car and warranties. They cant void it. They can only not warranty the part you put on, and not fix something IF they can prove that what you put on caused the problem. I got the car back today. Even though 1 cylinder wasnt getting good compression, it wasnt the engine, it was the coil pack. They replaced it and I was on my way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts