Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Just got into the Cobra family. I love convertibles and found an '01 for a decent price in great shape so I bought it...Drove like a champ for three days. Got on it at a light and by fourth gear it was bogging. At the next light it was knocking, and by the time I got home,(2 miles farther) it was a serious knock. Where do I start? Do I park it at Safeway and leave the keys in it? Or do I blow a ton of cash and grey hair and fix it up? I will start by looking down the spark plug holes. But any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Farmertedd

· Registered
436 Posts
sorry to hear of your misfortune so soon. Chances are good if it is knocking you wont see anything. If you are sure it is knocking you only really have one choice if you want to keep it...fix it. You can go as mild or wild as your wallet will allow. Taking this opportunity to build the short block will save pulling it again later if you want to make some bigger power.

How many miles are on the car, and what were your goals with it?

Rick

· Registered
4 Posts
prolly the main bearings.....if you feel ambitious, I'd save for a 03-04 running long block and stuff that in there. It could be possible that you'd end up spending the same amount of money because an 01 cobra pushing over 500 horse is running on borrowed time.

· Registered
252 Posts
Sorry to hear this! I would pull the motor, and rebuild with a good block and forged internals. Or buy a forged short block or long block. It's up to you and your wallet!

· Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Ponyman is right. do what your wallet allows. If you aren't looking for big power and just want a running driving car, look to get this one fixed as soon and as cheaply as possible. To go through the bottom end, will prob cost you 2k+ easy. You can pick up a LIncoln Aviator motor for cheaper than that, and just bolt on your intake and have a few more horsepower than what your car came with from the factory, and have it done over a weekend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.