Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys know i believe in Effeciant Power..Like useing no more then Lightning(2.93) pulley on Eaton Blower..
Now comes the KB setups and i hear 19 ,20lbs on pump gas..
I think you Boostaholics should try to make that magic 600rwhp with less boost.
Maybe i am nuts or getting old and more conservative but those high boost levels scare me..
Sorry for the soap box..;)
comments appreciated.. :hammer

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
So how do you propose we break 600rwhp with less boost? Cams? Head work? I would say so many are going after boost because its cheap and easy :)

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shadowgray03 said:
So how do you propose we break 600rwhp with less boost? Cams? Head work? I would say so many are going after boost because its cheap and easy :)
Boost is the easy way..If it's a fast somewhat reliable street car?
There must be other ways to optimize your combo without just adding boost.
The proper header should help.Upgraded heat exchanger,Improved gear ratio..(MAYBE 373's) (Maybe 327's for that matter), just thinking out loud.Cams,Head Work..

·
Registered
309 Posts
Booooooost. Need More Boooooooost.

I think many people elect to go the boost route simply for cost reasons. You can get great power numbers with cams, etc., but at what cost. Most guys with 03's are still not willing to open up the motor to tap its full potential. So more boost is the short term answer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maybe I'm crazy, but on an engine designed for boost... why not just add boost?

This isn't an N/A design that has a charger on top... it's a low compression boost baby.

I think boost until the cows come home. Supra's run 20+ all day. With a turbo on an '03 or a bigger blower those numbers can be hit without having to spin it to deficiency.

Of course if a motor makes 700 N/A then boost takes it to 900 instead of 700, but unless you're going to Nitrous Pete it aka track only, then what's the point?

With ~600 rwhp it's already plenty of street car. The only things with a prayer are spraying BIG Vipers or TT'd superexotics.

Why go for 800 on a street car? A real street car guys... not a race gas queen.

Pump gas only.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Jim - I agree with you, but what options do we have? I have only seen one place offering cams, but no ones knows if they are worth it. So until then, all we can do us run more boost.

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KevinJKD said:
Jim - I agree with you, but what options do we have? I have only seen one place offering cams, but no ones knows if they are worth it. So until then, all we can do us run more boost.
I'd like to see some of these KB Cobra's try headers,Get some feedback on power gains with some relieved cylinder pressure..
Side note:
@ only 2 months ago you would be hard pressed to find a blown up 03 Cobra....Now they are dropping all around...
I think high boost and tunning experimenting is the cause.

I don't know of any 20lb boosted cars with 50K miles.

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
@ only 2 months ago you would be hard pressed to find a blown up 03 Cobra....Now they are dropping all around...
I think high boost and tunning experimenting is the cause.

I don't know of any 20lb boosted cars with 50K miles.
Most of the problems I have seen where due to operator error....ie, ramming rev limiter multiple times in a row without letting off gas, people tossing a chip/pulley combo on and ramming the gas with no idea what A/F is etc.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Jim Vaccaro said:
Now they are dropping all around...
That's a bit of a stretch. Dropping all around? I've heard of 2, and both were romped with a way lean condition.

What makes you say "dropping all around" ?

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
slythetove said:
That's a bit of a stretch. Dropping all around? I've heard of 2, and both were romped with a way lean condition.

What makes you say "dropping all around" ?
I talk to people @ SVT dealerships..There are many who blow motors that don't report them on the internet for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I've heard of several in the NY region that have blown up but that aren't reported on the message forums - all were chipped/high boost situations.

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
Well, this is the EXACT REASON why it is taking the Kenne Bell cars so long to put up timeslips.

You know...all those WHINNEY threads..."Where's the Kenne Bell timeslips" or "Any Kenne Bell cars run 10's yet?"

:lol

Sorry to disappoint the audience, but some of us are willing to WAIT until our cars are safe to run.

I have not heard of a SINGLE car blow up that was TUNED PROERLY and done SAFELY (mainly meaning upgraded fuel injectors). I know of two blown KB 03 Cobras - one was a tuner doing the trial-and-error thing and the other was a car that went down the track with 17 PSI of boost on stock computer with no chip. And that car, while injured, is still running strong.

I agree that it's probably safer to dial down the boost while not at the track, but I am also convinced that these cars can take it...if DONE PROPERLY.

50K miles on 600 RWHP street cars...COMING RIGHT UP.

:hammer

·
Registered
482 Posts
If it makes you feel any better I get the same thing with the turbo.

Sorry, I'm not about to toast a motor to get numbers for someone on the Internet....especially when I have a ballpark figure anyway and it's not that impressive :D

·
Banned
1,888 Posts
snkypete said:
If it makes you feel any better I get the same thing with the turbo.

Sorry, I'm not about to toast a motor to get numbers for someone on the Internet....especially when I have a ballpark figure anyway and it's not that impressive :D
I'm with you, brother!

:cool:

·
Registered
863 Posts
I am proud member of the GREEEDY BOOSTAHOLICS Club !!! :D

I boil it down to Cylinder Pressure ! It does not matter what you are doing to make 600 RWHP... Supercharged, Turbocharged, Nitrous or High Compression Pop-ups ! One of these items has got to happen to pound that Piston hard enough to spin those tires and dyno rollers to make the power.

That being said if someone with a 2.93 Lightning upper only ( No NOS ) wants to add Full tube headers, after-market cams, full roller high ratio rockers to try and make 600 rwph. I think !!!!! It ain't happeninnn !!!! I am sure there is someone to prove me wrong but right now it has not happened...

I think a Turbo is going to make the most efficent boost out there for a 600 rwph combo... obviously ! But I bet those 8 little 4.6 Pistons just don't care !! 600 Horses to the wheels is punishing no matter what Octane or Power adder used.

But Hey if I could make 600 RWHP @ 14lbs boost with my KB blower by adding headers and cams then I would probably do it !!

It would last a Day or so and then BAM !!! Pulley change and walla 19lbs of boost again !! Now the wall to break would be 700 horses !!!! Yes, I am a Boostaholic and I only have to worry about one guy. Me !! :) OK one gal, if I blow the crank out the side of the block... OK I'm done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon L

·
The Ubiquitous Jimmy V.
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dustoff said:
I am proud member of the GREEEDY BOOSTAHOLICS Club !!! :D

I boil it down to Cylinder Pressure ! It does not matter what you are doing to make 600 RWHP... Supercharged, Turbocharged, Nitrous or High Compression Pop-ups ! One of these items has got to happen to pound that Piston hard enough to spin those tires and dyno rollers to make the power.

That being said if someone with a 2.93 Lightning upper only ( No NOS ) wants to add Full tube headers, after-market cams, full roller high ratio rockers to try and make 600 rwph. I think !!!!! It ain't happeninnn !!!! I am sure there is someone to prove me wrong but right now it has not happened...

I think a Turbo is going to make the most efficent boost out there for a 600 rwph combo... obviously ! But I bet those 8 little 4.6 Pistons just don't care !! 600 Horses to the wheels is punishing no matter what Octane or Power adder used.

But Hey if I could make 600 RWHP @ 14lbs boost with my KB blower by adding headers and cams then I would probably do it !!

It would last a Day or so and then BAM !!! Pulley change and walla 19lbs of boost again !! Now the wall to break would be 700 horses !!!! Yes, I am a Boostaholic and I only have to worry about one guy. Me !! :) OK one gal, if I blow the crank out the side of the block... OK I'm done !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon L
This Boy is beyond help!!! :D

·
Snake Charmer
2,830 Posts
Do I sense a new support group????

Boostaholics Anonymous? :banggears

·
Registered
863 Posts
Yeah, If I would have just ran a 10.99.... It would not have to be this way ! No I had to leave my spare and jack in the trunk and run a 11.03 !

So now I must install the RR 3" back on and buy 3 gates belts and do it all over again !!!!! Man I need help !

To much Helo flying without proper sleep...

We are all addicted to HP I am afraid ! :D

Jon L

·
Registered
281 Posts
Since you guys are taking about motors going bad. My car was one of them that had a knocking motor. I can honestly say that I had almost nothing of modding to my car compare to most cars on here. And in my opinion I feel that I had done nothing to the car to make my motor go bad. So maybe there is some motors that just go bad for whatever reason. Either way Ford put me a new motor.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts