Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 GT with 5900 miles on it. On the dyno at JMS recently it put out 377 rwhp and 432 rwtq at 8 lbs of boost. I have a P1-SC with a 12 lb pulley but I'm getting major belt slip. The car also has a bullit intake full Magnaflow exhaust, Vortech mondo bypass valve, FRPP 42 lb injectors, and a ton of other stuff. I've decided to build a stronger motor for the car and add cams, ported heads, long tubes, etc. Does anyone know if the stock GT crank will hold up reliably? I'm definitely using the good rods and pistons but my engine builder told me the stock crank would work fine. He also tells me that 500 rwhp won't be a problem. I'm also upgrading to Steeda's dual fuel pump but I'm not sure if I should change injectors again. I want to have a good reliable 500 rwhp (at least) for this car. Any suggestions are appreciated. By the way, I'm also told that a Cobra crank will cost me around $1300 because there's a heavy core charge out there now for them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
GT cranks are fine . i was running close to 550rwhp for more than a year without having any problems with the crank unless you are planning to put down more than 600rwhp.

you also can get a cobra crank for 600$ with no core

later
saud

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Saud is right..the GT crank will stand up to your needs..

For your info tho,you can get a cobra cran for alot less then $1300.

42's made 611 rwhp on my car so you should be fine with them.

Tim

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate all the information that everyone has given me. I might spring for the cobra crank just for the future. I never intended to go as far as I have with the car so there's no telling how far I'll go later. Here I was thinking my car was strong and you guys are slappin' down 500, 600, 700!, rwhp! UNREAL! I'm glad I've found a site with some experienced modular owners. What kind of longevity can you expect when your'e running 500-600 rwhp? Thanks again for the help.
Michael

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Cobra cranks can be gotten cheap .I got a used one with less than 1 k miles on it(got it from a totaled 01 cobra)for 300.00 .

With that kinda money in a motor why stop there.Only build it once :D

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JMS in Mobile, AL will be building my engine and doing all of the tuning also. Chris Johnson is a genius with Ford electronics and his mechanics have done it all so I'm lucky to have such a good shop to work with that's within an hour from my house.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I must agree that this forum is a bad influence :rolleyes: I mean great place to get info. I know where I want to be, right about 300 or so N/A and a few years from now, 450 supercharged. Funny thing is, I wouldnt have touched my stang until I found this site to ask a question about something mod unrelated. I hate you guy's :p Just kidding. Thanks to all for making me the envy of the neighborhood.

·
Registered
39 Posts
check karkraft.com. thats where i bought my cobra crank.

·
Registered
290 Posts
For example, right now I can supply you with a brand new OEM Cobra crank for $550. Anyone who sells you one for $1300 is cheating you. Think twice, dude.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Flo Bee said:
For example, right now I can supply you with a brand new OEM Cobra crank for mid $550. Anyone who sells you one for $1300 is cheating you. Think twice, dude.
1300 is way to much but shopping always pays off.

I got mine out of a totaled cobra (01 with only 1k miles) for 300.00 and it was in great shape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts