Mustang and Ford Performance Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone here running regrinds from hp?? i'm looking to put some on my headswapped 98. i'm not really sure what specs to go with, friend has some on his 99, stock lift, longer duration. sounds bad ass, awesome above 3500 rpm, just looking for some info.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Why Regrinds?

Go with the Comp Cam/spring kit. No messy shimming required.

·
Registered
492 Posts
NOT TRUE. Even with comp cams + their springs etc..., IT STILL NEEDED TO BE SHIMMED FOR THE PROPER PRELOAD. So, you can either listen to the advertiser, or somebody who has actually had the work done. Go ahead and somebody say THE SHOPS NOT DOING IT RIGHT, I dare you. Even Dennis Miles was involved with the WHOLE evolution of Comp's test and tune at my expense for this "NEW CAM DESIGN" as they said. Too god damn many keyboard mechanics out there. I am by no means an expert, but if a HIGHLY REPUTABLE SHOP tells me its Comps design problem then thats who I am going to listen to.

·
Registered
130 Posts
stanggt00 said:
NOT TRUE. Even with comp cams + their springs etc..., IT STILL NEEDED TO BE SHIMMED FOR THE PROPER PRELOAD. So, you can either listen to the advertiser, or somebody who has actually had the work done. Go ahead and somebody say THE SHOPS NOT DOING IT RIGHT, I dare you. Even Dennis Miles was involved with the WHOLE evolution of Comp's test and tune at my expense for this "NEW CAM DESIGN" as they said. Too god damn many keyboard mechanics out there. I am by no means an expert, but if a HIGHLY REPUTABLE SHOP tells me its Comps design problem then thats who I am going to listen to.
You just don't get it do you? This was a specific problem with your car. Are you saying I don't know what I'm doing? Look at my numbers, that's with Comp Cams. No shimming. EVERYONE but you that I have read about has had no problems with the Comp Cams. I'm not saying it was the fault of the shop, but there obviously is something else going on.

If you need a list of high HP cars with Comp Cams that just dropped them in with no problems, I can get you one.

It's funny that you are calling me a keyboard mechanic yet you probably haven't turned one wrench on your build up.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
stanggt00 said:
Dude are you smoking crack.
The comps need NO SHIMMING.Before spouting off what you know nothing about.

I was the FIRST one in the COUNTRY to have the 4.6 comp cams .You dont have to believe me call comp for yourself.

LOL yea comp has a problems
:rolleyes: peaple like you that dont know what the hell they are talking about.

Ther comps are fully bolt in NO SHIMS,or anything else needed.
And as far as me talking smack yes sir.
And i have a top notch engine builder to back me up( my engine builder also builds pro 5.0 motors-britt floyd to be exact).

And im not a keyboard mechanic ,in the real world i do this for a living.

·
Registered
492 Posts
white99gt said:

And as far as me talking smack yes sir.
And i have a top notch engine builder to back me up( my engine builder also builds pro 5.0 motors-britt floyd to be exact).

And im not a keyboard mechanic ,in the real world i do this for a living.
All of what you say is probably true. I havent read any mis informed posts on your part. However as you said, you had one of the first sets of Comps. They came out with a new design, probably long after you and Ken got yours done.

My heads were spec'd out before hand and these cams are of a new design. So before you post anything else, talk to Comp for yourself. THEY ARE THE ONES WHO SAID THE LIFTERS NEEDED TO BE SHIMMED. Not the shop, COMP. Other than headwork, gears and tuning, I have done all the other mods myself. I dont have the space or tools to do it or I would have. Everyday I go to work on multi million dollar aircraft.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Personally ,i dont care what you work on.

The only thing comp has ever said was the lifter preload needs to be CHECKED.Because based on design specs and actual tooling the cams cam out a tad smaller than expected.

They said you MAY need a .15 shim .But a machine shop can cut and match a valve to give you the proper specs.I have no complex but i hate when a person bashs someone for their mistakes.And i really hate when someone cheaps out on a build job then wonder why they have problems.

And if you work on aircraft you know how small .15 thousands is.

·
Registered
492 Posts
white99gt said:
Personally ,i dont care what you work on.

The only thing comp has ever said was the lifter preload needs to be CHECKED.Because based on design specs and actual tooling the cams cam out a tad smaller than expected.

They said you MAY need a .15 shim .But a machine shop can cut and match a valve to give you the proper specs.I have no complex but i hate when a person bashs someone for their mistakes.And i really hate when someone cheaps out on a build job then wonder why they have problems.

And if you work on aircraft you know how small .15 thousands is.
Fair enough you dont care what I do. Off subject anyway. So, you just agreed with what I originally said. The newer cams MAY need a shim unlike originaly posted that they DONT NO WAY NO HOW NEED SHIMS. Not by you. Yes I know how small it is, but I needed .050

As for cheaping out, thats not accurate. I was being as cost effective as possible, but at the same time, the head builder made all computations necessary. I didnt need to know the exact cfm they would flow, or build it in the computer to tell me how much power it would make. Thats what I didnt pay for.

Before you say anything, I did modify my previous post. I didnt feel it was appropriate so I deleted it. You said comp has problems. People like me? Like the machine shop, like the auto shop doing the labor? Right! They did some R&D with these new cams at my expense. Not meaningfully, but in the end, thats what happened.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Ok lets stop the pissing match.Its not gonna solve your issue.

BAsed on your last post if you spent XXXX thats way more than needed to ge the proper job done.
But thats not the issues .The problem is the heads are setup incorrectly.
THEy stated in your other post that they check the guides?Well to properly do a P&P they should have been removed.
But comp being involved and saying they need .50 shim because of the new cams.Thats bs.
The valve job and install height was done incorrectly.Causeing the excessive clearence.
Im trying to help not piss on you.But they have not change the cam design since feb when i got my first set.And i worked with comp for over a year on these cams to help get mine for my motor.

Because you can vary the clearences in the cams by the valve seat cut and if need be cutting down the valve tip.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anytime the heads are off and being reworked they should be checked from top to bottom. Don't assume anything. Anytime any valve/seat resurfacing, porting (widening the throats) or cams are replaced the entire valvetrain should be checked.

I've been doing a lot of learning about these heads lately. I've found that no two setups with the exact same parts will measure up the same and that the setup cannot be fully checked without the cams installed.

Ed

·
Registered
492 Posts
So in essence Ed, what your saying is, that no matter what brand, what grind etc... a cam mod can require more work than just removing and replacing the cam. Correct? Is it safe to assume that sometimes you can drop in a cam to a head, and it may work, but be out of spec slightly and still work? Not saying that some more work may have been required such as shimming the lifters or cutting the valve stems?

White 99, I dont want a pissing match either, but for someone else on this board to tell someone that they dont need any shimming may not always be correct. I dont believe the heads were built incorrectly. Even Comp Cams said these were newly designed cams (to the shop building them) and they needed to be shimmed to obtain the proper preload. Thats all I was replying to this thread. I may have gotten a little pissy, not directed towards you or Ken, but the fact remains, it happened to me and I am merely stating my experience. I did not say Comp's product was bad. I think it fair to let future buyers know that other work may be necessary. Like Ed said, it could have been due to the port work that added to the issue. I dont know and cant tell. All I have is what 2 reputable shops are telling me.

Thanks for your concern "Im trying to help not piss on you" but this thread has nothing to do with me. I will take that as being directed to my original post with my original problem. I am sure by now 98 Demon is scared shitless, but hey, what you gonna do.

98 DEMON. You may or may not be required to have more work done to your vehicle after you install the cams. I had a slight problem with mine, but it may be an isolated incident. Dont shy away from what you want to do. Get all the information you can before hand and let your performance shop tell you what you need to do. Doesnt matter what brand you go with IMO. Lot's of people here have had good luck with Comp cams. Good luck with it and be sure to let us know how its going.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What I'm saying is that variances in the cams combined with a valve job can throw the geometery out of specs. Yes, a good valve job should keep the valve side of the equation corrected but you should check them with the cams installed because the base circle is the reference for everything else. You'll often find too much lash adjuster preload.

Regrinds is the opposite problem I don't need to discuss. :)

Ed

·
Registered
492 Posts
One last question. I told Comp of my plans for the heads, and the machine shop doing the work was in constant contact with them as well. Should these cam's have been a problem, or is it just something they found out in my case?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Honestly, I can't say cause I wasn't there. But you shouldn't have had a problem. Unless the cams are heavily reground they should have been made to work. Problems usually start when the stock stem and spring install heights are not restored after the valve job. But because the cam is the reference point maybe it was off a bit. Either way if all specs were checked with the actual cams there shouldn't have been a problem that couldn't have been adjusted for.

Somebody dropped the ball. Who? Tough to say without measuring everything. But one guess is whoever installed the cams on the heads and torqued the caps. That's when the lash adjuster collasped clearance should have been checked. It would most likely show any problems, minus spring installed height.
Too tight and you'll need to either remove valve stem or shorten the lash adjuster(you'll have to remove quite a bit of adjuster but they are cheaper and easier to replace than valves). A perfectionist would do a little of each to keep things aligned perfectly. Too much clearance as in regrinds will need to be shimmed. Again, it should probably be equal on both sides of the cam.

I'm really no expert at this stuff, but I've spent a lot of time lately trying to get to fully understand OHC valvetrain and tearing heads apart and putting them back together. So somebody chime in if I'm screwing it up. :)

Ed

·
Registered
492 Posts
Rofl. Poor 98 Demon. All this talk about my past problem and only a few replies to his post. I say we all send him a few $ to help him get on his way :rolleyes: Wait, I am BROKE now so, sorry dude.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for ruining my thread.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wouldnt buy a regrind of a stock cam for a modular motor. The lobes are pressed on, in other words its not a 1 piece unit like a billet cam such a comp cams etc.. I get this picture in my head of the cam spinning away and a lobe coming to a stop with a valve open. OUCH !! Just my thoughts on this subject.

·
Yup....still on top!
2,055 Posts
Cobra Killer said:
No shimming is required on the HP cams.I have them,and have for 2 years now.

tim
Hey Cobra Killer!

Rumor mill has it that you are changing cams and will be running the biggest cams known to be run? Any truth to this? ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts